Search

Broadway for teens

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broadway for teens

Traveling to New York City Easter weekend with my 17 year old and her friend. We just booked and I am now looking at availability of theater tickets. Wicked is sold out of course but Stomp is available. Any thoughts on this or other show suggestions that might interest them. They are both easy to entertain. Also would welcome eating spot ideas and unique shopping. I know I can look this up in a guide but I really appreciate input from people who have been. This is not our first trip to New York so we are a bit familiar with the layout. We are staying in Midtown. It will be the first visit for my daughter's friend and they have shopping on their minds. Thanks so much.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 05:25 AM

My teen boy really enjoyed "In the Heights" and "Memphis".
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 06:45 AM

In the Heights, In the Heights, In the Heights. Get discount tickets throught broadwaybox.com.

Shopping: SoHo and Nolita.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 08:27 AM

I third "In the Heights" and the fact that it's usually available on discount on broadwaybox, playbill or elsewhere. Stomp is off Broadway and can also be found on discount. A lot of teens have also like Next to Normal, a dark musical and Rock of Ages has 80's music. There's also the revival of Hair.

As for shopping, without knowing where you come from and their tastes, it hard to make recos. There are loads of vintage shops, flea markets, H & M if you don't have one...
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 08:41 AM

They'd love Hair.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 08:58 AM

My son loved Next To Normal; he even purchased T-Shirt during intermission.
Great site for audience reviews and discounts:
http://www.broadwaybox.com/reviews/n...y-reviews.aspx
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 09:03 AM

For broadway - do In the Heights, West Side Story and Hair.

What are they shopping for? I have found Filene's asement hs good discounts and Century 21 - but you have to get eherre early and pick.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 09:09 AM

Of the discount stores, my daughter prefers Loehmans. Also Daffy's sometimes has good deals. Most stores in the Times Square area, and even Soho are typical mall stores, so not all that unique to NYC. And Macy's always seems to be having sales.

At that age, lots of girls like the thrift shops. There's a bunch in the E. Village area and while there, it's always fun to walk down St. Marks Place.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 03:12 PM

Hair has a (mostly) new cast that includes Ace Young and Diana DeGarmo of American Idol fame. The show is a total blast. Try to get seats on the aisle and give the aisle seat to one of the girls. I'm not sure how I would have felt at 17 sitting next to my mom during the nude scene, but if the girls are comfortable, I'd highly recommend it. It's usually discounted.

In the Heights is fun, Next to Normal is dark and incredibly moving. Love them both for very different reasons, though the finales of both make me cry (but it's good crying.)

Avenue Q is off-Broadway, and is fun if a little off color.
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 09:02 AM

My teen D's love Century 21. Some people hate it. We've always gone right when it opens (I think it opens at 7:30 or 7:45 most mornings.) You have to take the time to go through a lot of stuff. It's right across the street from the WTC site, so it's easy to do a bit of sightseeing, too.
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 09:47 AM

oh, I can't believe they're populating Hair with American Idolists!! Grrrr...

Anyway, before that info, i would second suggestions for Hair, In the Heights and Next to Normal. Would put West Side Story as last after all those. (I've seen them all with teens).
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info. The girls want to do the window shopping and look around Bloomingdales but are looking to actual shop at vintage stores, thrift types stores or good second hand shops. What will we find in east village? We have been to Century 21and I think early is best. We are there over Easter and a lot of stores are closed Easter Sunday so will site see then. Wondering what might be going on in Central Park or around that area. Will maybe do the theater Sunday afternoon. There are still tickets for the shows mentioned. Thanks again
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 05:59 PM

I am sorry to say that I am not a fan of In the Heights. I saw the show when it came to Shea's Buffalo and it was okay,but from what I had heard I was expecting much more.

I am suprised that no one has suggested Jersey Boys. It is not easy to get tickets for this show but it is a wonderful show.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 05:36 AM

Here's a thread with more info on vintage/thrift shopping in NYC
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...c-shopping.cfm
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 05:48 AM

For great drama - Tennessee Williams' - The Glass Menagerie - presented by the Roundabout Theater.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks missypie for the ticket site. I did find Wicked tickets there. Hope it's worth it. Found some threads that talked about NoLita for shopping as well. Thanks
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 01:58 PM

Some good choices for theater for teens mentioned here. I would add 'Newsical the Musical.' I would strongly recommend 'Avenue Q.'
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 03:54 PM

I think you all would love Hairspray and Jersey Boys. I got tickets online lin Feb. and had a perfect aisle seat in third row orchestra. You can do well online. Hair is very good but I second the reply that the teens may feel a bit uncomfortable. My very mature niece, working in NY went with her mom and told me she felt wierd. My DH and I also saw it in February, even after growing up during that era, I still felt a little squeamish through some of it. I'd say opt for something other that Hair.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

I saw Jersey Boys in Toronto last fall and loved it, the story and the music made for an entertaining evening with a group of friends whom I reunion with each fall in a different city. We all loved it. But I want to see something new so I have opted for Wicked. My 17 year old has wanted to see it the last couple of times in NYC. We saw Hairspray one trip and Phantom the other. We are staying close by and will go on Sunday.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 04:51 PM

Hairspray has long since closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -