Broadway: A Catered Affair

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have the opportunity to see this play.

Has anyone seen it? What did you think?
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 06:12 PM

I'm not seeing it until Monday. A friend saw it 1st night of previews and said acting was wonderful, but it needed some tweaking. Are your tickets discounted? Did you ever see the movie? The ads make it seem like a comedy, but it isn't. I liked the movie - very touching.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 07:50 PM

We saw it in San Diego, and I think it had the cast that was going to Broadway (Harvery Fierstein, Faith Prince, Tom Wopat). We liked it, but didn't love it. I agree that the acting was strong, but thought the show was slow, and the music not very engaging.

I wanted to see it for the cast and because I love John Bucchino, who wrote the music and lyrics. After seing this show, and buying a CDs for another of his shows, I've decided that I like him better as Holly Near's pianist than as a composer.

One funny aside: my husband asked about Harvey Fierstein, "Does he always sound like that?"
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 04:55 AM

Yes! When you hear him for the first time, you're not prepared.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 06:04 AM

When we saw Harvey Fierstein in Hairspray on Broadway, the woman next to us turned to me at intermission and asked, "who is the woman playing the mother -- everyone seemed to know who she is?" I had a very hard time convincing her that it was a man, despite that voice!

I'm looking forward to A Catered Affair in June. Faith Prince has a pretty grating voice too, the two together must be like fingernails on a chalkboard!
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 10:17 AM

Well, just about the antithesis of a grating voice -- I'm going to see James Earl Jones next week in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. And he is the sole reason I'm going -- just to listen to that mellifluous voice in person.

Last night I saw the revival of Gypsy with Patty LuPone. She was wonderful as Rose - not Rosalind Russell, but still wonderful - and the show overall was great fun. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed the music, and the number with the three has-been strippers was hilarious.
It officially opens tonight.

Old Mar 27th, 2008, 03:56 PM

My parents, my husband, our teenage children and I saw Gypsy with Tyne Daly at the Kennedy Center in DC. After the show, my Mom said to the children, "Grandpa saw Gypsy Rose Lee perform." One of then asked, "What did he see her do?" My mom answered, "She only did one thing, and ou just saw what it was." My kids said, "Grandpa!!" in very surprised voices. And my mom ended the discussion with, "Well, he wasn't always a Grandpa; once he was just a young man."
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 08:41 AM

Like Abram I saw this show when it was in San Diego. I would have thought they would have done their tweaking by now!

It was OK but not my favorite. There are not too many musicals that I don't like but I think this is one that is totally forgettable unless they have changed it alot.

Patrick-I loved Harvey Fierstein in Hairspray but didn't love him in this show.

Faith Prince is by far the strongest cast member at least in my opinion. Tom Wopat doesn't get to do much but he does have a song towards the end that was very moving. I agree the acting is probably the best part about the show.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 04:34 PM

Abram,

Cute story.