Bringing gifts on a plane?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dumb question: I'll be travelling on XMAS eve with wrapped presents. Assuming they fit in the carryon size tester, do I have anything to worry about getting them through security without having to unwrap them? It's just books and clothing, nothing that would otherwise not be allowed on. Just wondering if the concealment is an issue...I mean, they have X-rays right?
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 06:42 AM
E

This has been mentioned so often in the media, especially lately: do not wrap presents you'll be carrying onto the plane. The x-ray machines often don't show enough detail, and TSA agents must then inspect bags and packages by hand. They have the right to ask you to unwrap your packages, and probably will.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 06:44 AM

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT carry any wrapped items. Why won't you just take wrapping paper with you and wrap them in the airport before you get on a plane. Have a paper and ribons already precut. To avoid any headacke mail them, you have a plenty of time if you do it today or tomorrow.
Have a nice holiday!
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 07:26 AM
MightyIsis

If I were you, I would UPS those to your Christmas destination today. Boom, it's done, no hassles, less stuff for you to carry on. Bringing unwrapped gifts and precut paper and ribbons is a good choice too, but may get extremely wrinkled in the process.

Old Dec 16th, 2003, 07:42 AM
E

Btw, I was told that Dec. 17 is the deadline for shipping via UPS to arrive by 12/25.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 10:53 AM
GoTravel

Agree with others, don't wrap them. Even in carryon, they can and probably will unwrap.

Old Dec 16th, 2003, 02:37 PM

I had a wrapped gift in my carry-on for a trip in November. Just didn't think about it. My bag was singled out for a long inspection and the gift was carefully unwrapped and wrapped again by the attendant. I couldn't believe how careful he was with the wrapping~
I also can't imagine an attendant taking that much time with gifts during the Xmas holidays, and I personally won't ever take a wrapped present in my carry-on again.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses! Problem is, they're already wrapped because I am not a good wrapper and the recipient will be travelling with me so that's where the difficulty comes in. Funny, I fly about twice/month with all kinds of baggage and not once has security asked to open up a bag (except a major interrogation at AMS). They'll swab the lockings but that's about it. I guess if I covered my briefcase in wrapping paper, then it'd be a problem! Fortunately I bought a fully rerfundable ticket so I might just cancel or postpone until after XMAS.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 11:12 AM

FedEx or UPS them. I have been doing that for years now (I just got tired of carrying presents with me) and it's just easier. Don't forget that overnight and two- and three-day services are still available (if costly). If you're shipping to a hotel, send it to yourself and mark the package "HOLD FOR ARRIVAL 12/xx" (i.e., mark your check-in date). I know it sounds like a bit of a hassle, but don't you want to have room in your luggage for YOUR gifts...?
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 12:07 PM

If you hadn't mentioned that the recipient was traveling with you, I would have suggested using those handy gift bags where you can cover over the present with colored crepe paper and simply lift off the paper to show the bag's contents. Maybe you can get your loved one to close their eyes for a few seconds if they are willing to wait for their surprise.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 02:52 PM

Why don't you just check your bag?
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 03:00 PM

I preship stuff via FedEx almost everytime I travel. If I am going to a hotel I address it to myself and put the arrival information and CF# on the box. They hold it for me... never had a problem.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 06:58 PM

Don't use FOIL paper.