What to take in carry on

Search

What to take in carry on

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to take in carry on

We are flying within the United States (Flint, Clevland, NO) & are Canadian. My mom is worried about what she can & Can't take in her carry on. I found a page on the internet issued by the TSA that says nail clippers & knitting needles are allowed.

I recently heard on the news that nail clippers are not allowed, I think it was mentioned when talking about lighters.

Has anyone had any experience with this. I was behind a man in Toronto Airport & they let him take his nail clippers.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:24 AM

Nail clippers are allowed if they are not the type with the attached metal nail file. If you do have this type, you can either discard the entire thing or break off the file the make it "legal".
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

thanks pretty sure hers has the attached nail file so I'll let her know
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 04:27 PM

I have a Swiss army knife that I carry, and I know that as I age I will become forgetful and sooner or later I will forget to take it out of my carryon and put it in my checked luggage.

My solution, which I think would help many people with security, was to buy a shipping envelope with postage paid and addressed to myself. It weight almost nothing, so I keep it in my carryon. When I run into a problem, I intend to put my contraband into the envelope, seal it, and ask the TSA agent to please be so kind as to mail it for me.

I think it is important to have something like this, as you may very well find authority allowing you to carry some object, but run into a TSA agent who disagrees. You are rushing to catch a plane, so the TSA agent is holding all the aces and the most afficient solution is to accept his view, and get rid of the item.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:29 PM

I am not sure about the security people at Cleveland airport, but in Pittsburgh, they told my husband, who did forget about his pocket knife, that they can't lay a finger on the item without two hours of paperwork. They did let him get out of line and run to the post office in the airport himself . . .
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:04 AM

I have taken knitting needles on 4 flights in last 3 months - no problem, although I have heard some airports do not allow them, even though they are now permitted.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 03:43 AM

Bring a light sweater for the flight. I nearly froze on a Qantas, Continental and South African Airways flight. I think the seats near the galley are colder. My fingernail clippers with the fold out knife were taken from me on the Montpellier/Paris flight. They made it through the first six flights--go figure.