Brief trip report: Savannah and Charleston

Nov 26th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Brief trip report: Savannah and Charleston

Good morning

Here is a brief recap of my Staycation Part I (Low Country). Staycation Part II, back in metro DC, probably won't be worth a trip report because yesterday was mostly errands, today may be a stroll around DC (and dinner and a movie later) and who knows what tomorrow will bring. Probably more work on my photos...

At any rate, I spent part of the week at my home in coastal South Carolina this week. I visited Charleston and Savannah. The set of photos below is currently just of Charleston, but by the time I fill it completely there will be some Savannah ones as well.

The weather, incidentally, was perfect all week. Bright sun and warm - I think we even hit 80 one day. It didn't "cool down" until Wednesday and that was only low 70s.

What I did all week:

Charleston for a day.

Charleston is a nice day trip from Hilton Head. I think I'm going to have to make it an overnight the next time, though, because there is so much to do and see there and the drive takes a while - mostly because a large chunk of it is on two-lane roads. I hadn't planned anything but I knew I wanted to eat and take a walking tour. I parked at the visitor center and asked about architectural walking tours. There just so happened to be a tour at 2 PM with Fern, the owner of "Architectural Walking Tours of Charleston". This turned out to be perfect timing because it was nearly noon and I was starving.

http://www.architecturalwalkingtours....com/index.htm

I window-shopped my way down King Street until I made it to Queen Street. I had hoped to eat at FIG but they were closed for lunch when I called. The manager recommended Husk on Queen Street. And now I'm recommending it to you. It's Low Country cuisine and locally sourced. Sean Brock, the chef, won the James Beard "Best Chef Southeast" in 2010. The restaurant is housed in a beautiful Queen Anne building which was built in the late 1800s. Below is the link about Sean, but click around and look at the photos of this pretty building, too.

http://www.huskrestaurant.com/sean-brock-2/

I found a NY Times article on Husk as well. What luck - I hadn't even heard of Husk just hours before I ate there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/09/di...9notebook.html

What did I eat? I started with fried green tomatoes, which used pickled tomatoes! Maybe they are always meant to be made with pickled tomatoes, but, I never detected that in other ones before. These were fantastic. Main course: cornmeal dusted catfish with its own sides, and an extra side of grits with cheddar and mushrooms. Rose with the meal. Yes, I was stuffed, in fact I couldn't finish it. I took a good sampling of each item though.

The meeting point with Fern was practically around the corner. Meeting Street Inn, as a matter of fact. This is across from the City Market.

I followed Fern around the central parts of Charleston for two hours. She is a lovely lady, probably mid 70s. Very old-southern charming. We started with the Powder Magazine and ended with Rainbow Row, and various points between. She's quite knowledgeable and you can spend a pleasant few hours learning details of architecture and history with her.

After the tour ended I wandered back to the visitor center, got my car, and left for home around 530 PM.

The photos, as mentioned, I'll add everything to this set eventually:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skywalk...58984655/show/
Nov 26th, 2011, 09:38 AM

That's sounds great.

I've had that cat fish at Husk and loved it. Husk has gotten so much hype recently that people go in with expectations that are just unrealistic. I've been 4 times and I've never been disappointed. FIG isn't open for lunch, but it's definitely worth your time on your next visit.

I used to live in DC and still miss it sometimes, especially the Ethiopian food. I lived at Dupont Circle *sigh* so wonderful.
Nov 26th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

It's almost as warm in DC as it was in SC! I wandered around earlier today - took photos of O-DC with the Capitol in the background, and, saw the smallest National Xmas Tree I think I've ever seen (no photos).

The above is only one day, by the way. Savannah to come later...
Nov 27th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Here is an excellent article about Savannah I found this morning. I follow various "Savannah" items on Facebook and doing so always unearths little tidbits.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...agination.html
Dec 5th, 2011, 03:54 AM

Hey flygirl, where's the Savannah part?
Looking forward to the rest of your report
Dec 5th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

I know! Haven't had time with two back to back trips... I haven't sorted the photos yet. I haven't forgotten. NYC was quick n easy... And even that is installments.
Dec 5th, 2011, 04:36 AM

I'm looking forward to your walk with Savannah Rambles
Dec 5th, 2011, 04:59 AM

Charleston, Savannah...two place in all our travels we have so far missed. Glad for insights.
Jan 4th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

I just realized I never finished this report.

I did post the Savannah photos in the full link above. I will come back soon and write some more. Not as much as my day in Charleston, I've lost steam!

Total of 49 photos from the trip.
Jan 4th, 2012, 07:31 AM

Hello flygirl,

Having just returned from Charleston (where I too ate at Husk), I enjoyed seeing your detail-capturing beautiful pictures and was happy that you seemed to have as glorious a day (clear skies, great for picture-taking) as my 48 hours there. I hear you about wanting to overnight next time, rather than a day trip, due to the volume of things to see & do. I even felt my 48 hours were a little too short for the exploration I was hoping for, and thought 3-4 days would have been better...

Looking forward to the Savannah portion of your trip (a city I'm feeling I want to see sooner rather than later)!

Best wishes, Daniel
Jan 5th, 2012, 03:23 PM

Great photos!!! Interesting how your style is so different from mine.

We were in Charleston and Savannah last spring.

In Savannah we ate at the Olde Pink House and Bistro 45.
In Charleston at Hanks and Fleet Landing.

All excellent.

The only places we've ever made reservations in advance.

You can see mine at www.travelwalks.com
Jan 12th, 2012, 04:43 AM

flygirl, also thanks for the photos of Charleston...as mentioned a special place we've never been though traveling in 50 states and overseas a dozen times.

But this is a message to Myer (don't have your email) here rather than in the Arizona thread: so you have not traveled much in your home state? We've explored much of Florida but not Everglades...daughter now in Rockledge N of Melbourne. Looking at your photos nice looking couple in #5 Madrid!
Bill in Boston
Jan 12th, 2012, 02:23 PM

Ozarksbill,
Yes that's us in #5 of the Spain trip. However, that's 2004.

I think there are more recent shots of us in the 2011 Banff, Victoria & Vancouver trip.

We should really visit some of Florida. We've been to Capitva a couple of times and that's it.

You can reach me via email at:
[email protected]