Extended Stay in Savannah

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be spending two weeks this February in Savannah and we are looking for tips on great restaurants and shops. We are renting an apartment in the historic district. We love good food and like high end as well as hole in the wall type places. Also, any day trips that you can suggest in the area will be appreciated. Thanks so much for your help!
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 03:18 PM

Here is a great hole in the wall restaurant: Wiley's Championship BBQ
This is the best BBQ place I've ever visited, anywhere. Look at their Tripadvisor ratings. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...h_Georgia.html

Old Aug 25th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

That looks amazing!!! Thank you!!
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 04:35 PM

You might want to red my trip report on Charleston and Savannah; click on my name to find it.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for directing me to your trip report--such helpful info!
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 04:25 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Take some time to read many of the Savannah trip reports. GREAT info from people who love the city.
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Starrs, I have been doing what you suggested and am loving these trip reports. It's so kind of people to report back as it's such a help to those of us who are planning. After we leave Savannah we are heading to Asheville. Is there one route that would be more interesting over another or places (restaurants, etc) to stop at along the way?
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 04:03 AM

Unfortunately, the most direct route is the interstate. I95 is a big yawn but I26 is better. Think about stopping in Newberry, SC for lunch. It's a very nice little Southern town.
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

suewoo, I just checked out Newberry and that looks like a great spot to stop for lunch and browse a bit--what a great tip. I so appreciate getting first hand advice from people who know this area of our country. We're from Michigan so we need all the help we can get while down south!!
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 05:37 AM

If your not ready for lunch by the time you get to Newberry, stopping in downtown Greenville is another idea. It's a nice walkable (renovated) downtown with some good restaurants and cute shops.

Along the way you can do a mouse hunt.
There are little bronze mice hidden all along the way. If you are familiar with the children's book "Goodnight Moon", you'll recognize the little critters -

mouse hunt -
http://miceonmain.com/mousehunthints.html

the backstory -
http://miceonmain.com/historyofmiceonmain.html

Here's one of the cute shops if you like dogs -
http://www.thebarkerybistro.com/

And you MUST visit the Mast General Store -
http://www.mastgeneralstore.com/Comm...this-weeks-ad/
If you miss the one in Greenville, there's one in Asheville as well.
BTW - my favorite wine shop anywhere (so far) is the one in Asheville. I always buy a case of whatever they are featuring as my go-to inexpensive wines.

Hendersonville NC is another little town on the way that would be good for a stop. Get out and stretch your legs for a bit
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 05:38 AM

It's peach season. If you love great peaches, stop by a stand and buy some. (and yes, SC IS the biggest peach producing state - to GA's chagrin)
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Starrs, I can see that we'll need to stop in both Newberry and Greenville! These are just the kinds of things I'm looking for. Thank you so much. I'm interested in the wine shop in Asheville--the name?
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 11:56 AM

http://www.ashevillewine.com/

Laurey's next door is a good sandwich place and/or picnic items to take along. If you have access to a kitchen you can pick up stuff for dinner.
http://www.laureysyum.com/

The Mast General Store is right there too.

One of the best independent bookstores still left is in Asheville -
http://www.malaprops.com/

A LOT of good restaurants with plenty of vegetarian/vegan options. This is a favorite -
http://www.tupelohoneycafe.com/

Lots of good music events in Asheville - and of course the Biltmore Estate
Old Aug 28th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Just looked at all your suggestions. Perfect! You are so helpful!
Old Aug 28th, 2011, 06:02 PM

OK. I know it is way too early to give you lunch choices for Newberry, but in case anyone is lurking who wants to do a similar trip, Delmaters on the square next to the Opera House has to die for she crab soup. It is a lovely place set in a 100 year old bank. The vault is the wine cellar.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Palmettoprincess, it's never too early for food suggestions! I've found a great deal of the fun is the research and anticipation of a trip. That place sounds wonderful. When I looked at the Newberry site after Suewoo suggested it, it looked like the downtown was very interesting. These small towns are never found in many guidebooks. That's why I turn to the Fodorite Forum! Thank you!
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 09:13 AM

Since you are going to be in Savannah for two weeks, here are some certified “hole in the walls” mostly frequented by locals for lunch. Some offer dinner menus at night. I am a local, born and raised in Savannah. If there is a long line, you can be sure it’s tourists, not locals. Most locations are downtown or convenient to downtown, some easily reached afoot, some by car. Thunderbolt is an old fishing/shrimping village about a ten minutes drive from downtown. Enjoy your stay and the food. These are not cookie-cutter franchises, all but one (Double Tree) are mom and pop owned and operated. You won’t be disappointed.

Firefly Café-Harris and Habersham-varied menu lunch and dinner
Café on 37th 37th and Abercorn—Oyster or Shrimp Poor Boy as big as Buick Hubcap on home baked sourdough. Order the damn fried. You’re on vacation. Dinner prices are higher and menu differs
Goosefeathers—Barnard and Congress—breakfast
Sentient Bean-South end of Forsyth Park—good coffee house with sandwiches and breakfast pastries
Al Salaam Deli—Middle Eastern take-out 40th and Habersham St.
Green Truck Pub-Habersham and 41st—Grass fed beef, handmade hamburgers—best burger in town
Depositos—Off Highway 80 in Thunderbolt on Tybee side of river-you’ll think you arrived via the “Back to the Future” DeLorean—no frills ,throwback era seafood, steamed---tin roofed low country shack-bar. Go once for early supper. It’s the anti-Crab Shack, no lines, or touristy gimmicks.
Butterhead Greens-Bull Street and 35th St. Great sandwiches and salads
Zunis-Drayton and York—you said “hole in the wall” and it is. Great lunches, take out. One order feeds small army.
Vinnie Van Gogh Gogh’s—fine pizza, thick crust. Barnard and Congress
Screaming Mimi’s—Price and Oglethorpe St. fine pizza, thin crust
Taca-Japanese grilled foods, sushi-same strip development as Screamin’ Mimis
Pink Pig—in SC across the bridge, 10 minutes from town on SC 170. Great BBQ and seafood. You gotta go there—don’t expect Ma and Paw or hillbilly décor or country music.
Breakfast Club-Tybee. Sadowski’s omelets are to die for and from (gluttony). Catered John Kennedy’s wedding on Cumberland Island.
Sundae Café—Tybee—unpretentious but fine food
AJ’s—Tybee-Seafood on the Back River—eat on the dock and feed the mosquitoes or sand gnats in season. Beautiful view to the west.
North Beach Grill-Tybee-Jamaican food-how can food this good be served in wax paper lined plastic baskets?
Sammy Green’s- 34th and Abercorn. Slider Central
Johnny Harris- Victory Drive east of Bee Road. Not a hole in the wall, (been in business since the 1920’s) best Fried Chicken in the world—and it is not battered. Rest of the menu varies in quality.
Papa’s Barbecue-Whitmarsh Island near Publix. Best Shrimp Salad, varied seafood and barbecue menu.
Rancho Alegre-402 MLK---Simple Cuban food, moderately priced lunch menu.
Blowin’ Smoke BBQ-not necessarily the best BBQ in Savannah, but it’s good and downtown near Rancho Alegre.
Bar Foods-Habersham Shopping Center on Habersham St.-5-10 minutes drive south of Bay St. —have a drink and eat good bar food, shrimp, asparagus, impromptu oyster roasts….
Café Sol-good fish tacos-Habersham and 34
Tubby’s Tankhouse—Thunderbolt—fresh fish and simple food.
Double Tree Inn—luncheon buffet is a local favorite. Downtown and a block from the long lines waiting to dine at the Butter Queen.

Beer, wine and liquor-Ganem’s Habersham and Gaston,
Habersham Beverage Center near Bar Foods (Habersham St. between 62nd and 61st) best selection and prices in town. 2 locations, but this one is most convenient to downtown.

Fresh fish markets: Russos- quality products 40th and Abercorn; AC Matthews Seafood—largest selection of fresh seafood and best prices-Garden City. 5-10 minutes from downtown. Teeples-on Victory Drive in Thunderbolt. Open Sundays. Fresh local shrimp, crabs and vegetables at Polk’s in same building.

Great Vietnamese takeout: Saigon Flavors 6604 Waters Avenue-not the most convenient location to downtown, but worth driving to for takeouts.

Groceries-Kroger on Gwinnett St. between Lincoln and Habersham. Has an excellent produce section and other upscale items; on the edge of historic/Victorian District. Any of the Publix stores are excellent. Nearest is South of DeRenne Ave. on Abercorn. Although the Islands may be just as close to downtown. There’s a Fresh Market across Abercorn from it. Forget the fish; other markets above are better, cheaper and fresher.

Farmer’s Market- Saturday mornings south end Forsyth Park. Good selection of local produce, mostly organic. In February, probably not operating.

Bail Bondsman—Saseens.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 09:28 AM

What a great list! I'm going to print it out and use it on my next visit.

We went to AJ's on Tybee on our last visit and really enjoyed it.

LOVE the Breakfast Club on Tybee. Didn't know they catered JFK Jr's wedding.

A pedicab driver told us about Zunzi's. Check out the reviews. Amazing. Only take-out but we took it to the square next door and enjoyed a great sandwich (and brought some bottled sauce home)
http://www.allmenus.com/ga/savannah/27282-saigon/menu/

Not sure if it's the same folks but the Saigon on W. Broughton is in the midst of the historic district and is very good. I usually get Thai dishes instead of Vietnamese -
http://www.allmenus.com/ga/savannah/27282-saigon/menu/
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 09:30 AM

Oops! Here's Zunzi's link -
http://www.zunzis.com/menu.html

The Conquistidor is their speciality and is wicked good
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Oh my gosh Savannhoaks this list is utterly amazing! I feel like I hit the motherlode! You always hope that you might get lucky and have a local tell you a thing or two before you go somewhere. I so appreciate your taking the time to list all these places and I'm salivating reading through the various spots. I love your sense of humor as well

Starrs, Zunzi's looks good too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -