Search

Brief NYC trip report

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brief NYC trip report

From a recent 2-day, 1-night mini-vacation:

Took Amtrak to NYC, from the north. Everything was ontime, but they no longer have food service on most short-haul routes, so if you are counting on that, check ahead on www.amtrak.com.

Arrived at Penn Station and immediately got on subway (#2) to Clark St. to walk along the Promenade and back to Manhattan on Brooklyn Bridge. (This only works if you are traveling extremely light, as I was). I highly recommend this on a clear day (as I had) -- wonderful views of Statue of Liberty, Manhattan, etc. Walk from Clark St. station to Promenade, over bridge to City Hall Park took about an hour (with stopping to gawk, read plaques, etc.).

Could not get close to City Hall, it was cordoned off (do not know if that is temporary). Near City Hall is a building whose interior I wanted to see (Woolworth Bldg.), but there is a "no tourists" sign right in front of the door (I suppose I could have entered anyway -- all they can do is throw me out, right?). Had a delicious lunch at a small Chinese restaurant on Mott St. (Evergreen Shanghai, I think), where I paid $6 for a good-sized bowl of soup, hot tea, and 8 steamed dumplings, including tax.

Pierpont Morgan Library kept me enthralled for an afternoon (I am sure many could do it quicker; I savor certain museums); the free (with $12 admission) 2PM tour was well worth it. They always have a Gutenberg Bible on display, as well as many other treasures. A smallish, intimate museum with extremely high-quality items. Aside from the bible, highlights are medieval reliqueries; Babylonian seals; and some temporary exhibitions (e.g. the Saul Steinberg (New Yorker illustrator) exhibition was interesting.

One day at Metropolitan Museum of Art, mostly in Medieval & European Painting sections. Could easily have spent a day in the Eur. painting section. There seemed to be a good number of galleries closed for renovations, but the place is so huge there is still a ton to see. The current "Medieval Heads" exhibition was fascinating.

Other food "stuff": Sarges Deli on Third Ave. was great but not cheap (large menu, bagels&lox quite good). Kom Tang Korean Restaurant on W. 32 St. near 5th Ave., open 24 hours: I ordered a bowl of soup ($8.95). I got a 7 appetizers, a bowl of rice, a bowl of soup, and hot tea ($8.95). All were delicious, esp. the soup, except for 1 appetizer (some kind of snot-colored vegetable curd). There was 1 appetizer I did not try, as it seemed to be just a pile of bones (no meat) with some spices. I do not need calcium that badly. Heartland Brewery in Empire State Bldg.: good (but expensive) beer, food OK.

Got little gifts to bring home at Grand Central Market (inside Grand Central Terminal) -- nice selection of quality food, candies, cheese, etc.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:39 AM
GoTravel

What do you mean you couldn't get close to City Hall? Was City Hall Park closed? Or could you just not get inside?

Great report! Thanks!

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:59 AM

Ever since 911 City Hall, the State Supreme Court Building (often seen on Law & Order) and several other government buidlings have much increased security. All have airline type inspections - and depending on what's going on that day the general public may not be admitted at all.

The Woolworth Building - and many others - esp downtown - but many around the city - have the same rules. Again - renewed secrity since 911.

(All of NYC has been in a permanent state of Orange Alert since 911 - due to both recent terrorist attacks, presence of the UN etc.)

Glad to hear you enjoyed many other things.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:19 AM

That area was probably closed off because President Bush was in that area, so security was tight.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

To answer a question someone asked: City Hall Park was open partially, but some of the entrances were closed and there was a barricade between City Hall and the park, extending partway into the Park. So I couldn't get within 150 feet of the building, at least from the front. As someone else mentioned, the President was apparently there that day (news to me), so that might mean this is temporary.

To answer a question nobody has asked yet but might: No, I didn't spend the whole night at the 24-hour Korean restaurant sipping tea, nor did I find a nice warm spot on the sidewalk; I actually had a hotel room, which I omitted from the original report. So here's the info. in case it's helpful to anyone:

I used Priceline, bid $99 (for one night only, midweek) and got the Murray Hill East Suites on E. 39th St. I was very happy with the room and the price ("suite" meant equipped kitchen, full bath, bedroom, and large living room/dining room area). View of top third of Empire State Building from my bed (my room was on the South, or street, side of the building). Street noise on the 4th floor was audible but didn't keep me from sleeping. Room was clean and had the typcial hotel amenities, including shampoo, etc. There was a contraption on the bathroom wall that was either a hair dryer or a vacuum cleaner, but I didn't try it. Location a few blocks from Grand Central Terminal was great for my purposes. Plenty of eating and grocery opportunities in the area. Finally, in case it matters, there was a "Curves" across the street (matters to my wife, but not to me).
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:01 PM

When we were in NYC earlier this year, we DID enter the Woolworth Building, since our guidebooks indicated that the interior was very grand (and it was.) If they had the "no tourists" sign up at the time, we didn't see it, but a guard inside shooed us out pretty quickly. Too bad. The interior of the Chrysler Building is also very much worth viewing, and accessible. A great art deco monument.