Breckenridge, Vail, or Aspen in late May?

Mar 24th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Breckenridge, Vail, or Aspen in late May?

During our trip to Colorado in late May, we plan to stay 3 nights in the Breck, Vail and Aspen area. After much consideration, we still can't decide which town will be better for us. We don't hike but do enjoy shopping, sightseeing, nice accommodations and good food and wine. We prefer to walk from our hotel or condo to these areas after a day of sightseeing. All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Mar 24th, 2007, 04:16 PM
kit

I love all three, so no personal bias....but it sounds like maybe Vail or Aspen might be more along the lines of what you are looking for. Aspen is an old, beautiful town at the base of a mountain and Vail is newer -- more "planned" I'd say -- and no loser in the scenery category either. I'd consider Aspen more special and nonreplicable...
Mar 25th, 2007, 04:40 AM

My husband and I have been to Vail twice. Love it. We stayed at the Sonnenalp and it is nearly perfect. We've never stayed in Breck, but we have visited - very nice, as well.

Haven't been to Aspen, but it is on my list for our next visit to Colorado.

Enjoy your trip!

Mar 25th, 2007, 08:40 AM

I'd probably choose Aspen. There are some nice places to visit in the surrounding area--Marroon Bells, Glendale Springs, high country over Aspen--and a real "town" to just browse.
Mar 26th, 2007, 12:54 PM

I have stayed in both Aspen and Breck several times and love them both. You won't go wrong with either. I would just choose the closer one!

Aspen is more popular with celebrities but I think Breck is a bit more charming. Both are small towns with cute shops and good restaurants,gorgeous views and drives.

Bring layers to wear! We often go the first week in June and have seen a bit of snow (it did not last) and also warm, sunny days (about 70 degrees)

This is a great time to go if you like things quiet. There will not be many people around. The summer season does not get going until the second week of June. Rentals are very nicely priced, as this is the "off" season. Enjoy!
Mar 26th, 2007, 02:50 PM

I've been to Vail, Breck and Aspen--Aspen is my favorite of the three. Charming, unpretentious, great food and shopping not to mention the musicians that pepper the town and provide for a lovely impromptu concert--I love it there. Really, though, you can't go wrong, imo, with any of the three.
Mar 28th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

As usual, you all have been great help. Since we are going to be in this area for only three days, I am thinking about staying in Vail (only because it is close to the interstate) and taking day trips to Aspen and Breck. Since the crowds are sparce in late May,
do you think it will be easy to find a place to stay without making a reservation in advance?
Mar 28th, 2007, 06:27 AM

After thinking about this more I agree with staying in either Vail or Breck so you can easily visit both in one visit as they are approximately only 30 minutes apart.

IMO, you stand a better chance of getting a better deal on lodging if you reserve in advance. We've only done the no reservation once and found we were charged the max possible.
Mar 28th, 2007, 09:55 AM

Aspen = unpretentious? Ha! Sorry, that hit my funny bone.

Considering your list of considerations, Aspen probably is not a bad choice though. However, I'll just throw in my preference for Breck. Breck is close to the Silverthorne outlets if you want more shopping than the town offers, and isn't short of decent restaurants. Check out the Cafe Alpine if you go, it's our favorite.
Mar 31st, 2007, 03:48 AM
valeriesgallery

Aspen, then you can drive to the hot springs and play in the cool and hot healing waters.