Aspen --- Too Swanky !?!

Search

Aspen --- Too Swanky !?!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aspen --- Too Swanky !?!

Interesting article in today's (9/27) WSJ about how Aspen has been overrun by very high end chains and the displacement of local businesses -- 24 Jewelry and 30 high end chains. City fathers trying to determine should, if, how to control the trend to more high end shops.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 04:34 AM

I was in Aspen when the dowtown area was having a sidewalk sale. I'd never seen a sidewalk sale that featured fur coats and racks of children's clothing priced under $50.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 07:07 AM
MaureenB

It's funny to me that people think Aspen is swanky, yet swarm to Vail. In my opinion, Vail is much more glitterati than Aspen, and for that reason I prefer Aspen's atmosphere and wide open spaces.
>-

Old Sep 30th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Don't shop! Go for the beauty of the place and its surroundings.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 08:08 AM

It's funny how we all view things differently. I've been to Aspen and to Vail a couple times each, and Aspen always seems MUCH more "upscale" or "swanky" than Vail.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

I think there is a big difference between glitzness and swanky. I wasn't trying to make a point other than to say it was an interesting article about the changes in Aspen and the potential response.

I have skied at Aspen for nearly 30 years and it has changed substantially and more so within the last five years or so. At one time it had funky atmosphere where ski bums and the wealthy comingled at Little Nells and other unique Aspen watering holes. Not any more. Most of the local, colorful bars, restaurants, and shops are gone. I don't know if there is a Prada & Gucci shops in Vail but Aspen has them. Aspen is small enough that these shos easily stand out while being buried at Vail.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:53 AM

I was just at a conference in Vail. I saw a shirt in a window and ducked in to check it out, but turned back around after seeing the $475 price tag. Nice style, but still a basic, cotton dress shirt. Not woven out of gold or anything. They also had a rack at 70% off where nothing was under $100.

However, Vail still has local eateries with character. They sort of have a Disney feel with the idealized village look--everything very well planned and arranged just so. I wouldn't be surprised if they determined it was in their best interest to keep a few local-type places around and worked out some sort of deal so they could afford to stay.

Anywhere with rent and real estate prices that high is going to struggle keeping mom and pop shops around.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 08:20 AM
MaureenB

To clarify, I think both Aspen and Vail are loaded with very wealthy people. But, the difference to me seems to be that Aspen feels more like "old money" and Vail feels more "nouveau riche". In other words, one is more showy, the other is more understated wealth. Just my opinion.
>-

Old Feb 9th, 2010, 11:57 PM

It all depends on who you surround yourself with and that depends on what you do and where you go.. You can hang with ski bums or jet setters.
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 07:28 AM

Like fmpden, I remember what Aspen was like some thirty years ago and much preferred it. The place had soul which they seem to have traded for glitz. Progress? However, Vail has also changed although, thankfully, there are no Prada and Gucci shops...yet. There is a Gorsuch but being primarily a ski apparel shop, they fit in better. I disagree with MaureenB as to Aspen being old money and Vail more "nouveau riche". Both have old money, new money and a lot of wannabes. I would never say that Aspen is "understated", but neither is Vail!
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 08:08 AM

This thread is 3 years old...