Chelsea accommodation...I need a walk in shower

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be my first visit to the U.S and I will be staying in N.Y for 4 nights in July. I would prefer chelsea/greenwich area.
Due to an injury I sustained in a car accident, I need to have a walk in shower. By that I mean not climb into a bathtub. My husband can assist me if push comes to shove but I like to be independent.
Stairs are not a problem, I just take them one at a time!
Any suggestions for a hotel, B&B that you know of?
Budget up to $250 night but can be flexible.
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 05:00 AM

You've picked a particularly inconvenient area if you are looking for an accessible bathroom. The Larchmont Hotel (very small rooms) have shared baths with only showers, so I know that will work for you, and it's well within your budget.

I don't know if the Chelsea Savoy has any accessible rooms, but that might also be a possibility. It's on the corner of 23rd Street and 7th Avenue, in the heart of Chelsea. But this isn't a particularly convenient area to stay in. Most other hotels are far west and not really close to subways for transportation, nor are many of the stations in this part of town equipped with elevators.

But I think you need to look for a new-build hotel, and I'd broaden the search area to include other parts of Manhattan. Why do you want to stay in this particular area? I think you should look for hotels near Penn Station or near Times Square or 50th/8th Avenue. Those stations all have elevators and/or escalators that work reliably, and they all have many hotels and restaurants nearby.
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 05:07 AM

The Four Points Chelsea has walk in showers in a few rooms- I have stayed in one. Call them.
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 06:09 AM

These rooms at the Four Points in Chelsea are listed as "King, accessible, Roll-In Shower Stall."

here is the site:
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ropertyID=1408

If you book now, be sure to keep checking the prices and rebook if price goes down before your stay.

I like that hotel, have stayed there many times.
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 08:42 AM

Oyster.com is a great newish website with lots of photos to help you on your quest. They even have a section for Chelsea/west village. There you'll find the Indigo, the Four Points Sheraton Chelsea, the Gem Chelsea, the Maritime, the Wyndham Garden Chelsea listed in that area with walk in showers. The Cooper Square in the east village does too.

I think most b & b's won't work. Chelsealodgesuites.com is a good property but I think they have tubs. (I'm a bit flummoxed about why stairs will be ok and tubs not, but let's let that pass.)

I think the Hotel on Rivington on the lower east side is often well priced (for a trendy place) on quikbook.com and has rooms with nice walk in showers. Ontheave-ny.com on the upper west side (another charming area) has walk in showers too.
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM

The Smythe hotel in Tribeca has walk-in showers and I found a good rate on Quickbook.com. The subway stop is right outside the front door, too. Just stayed there -- lovely hotel.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your repliesand great ideas.
. mclaurie, reading your response (I'm a bit flummoxed...) made me oh so defensive!And I really don't want to feel that way.
My body (right side) was crushed in a head on car accident with a drunk driver in 2005. My right side is weak and while I can hold onto a staircase with my left hand and walk up with my left leg first...bathrooms do not have usually a magical handle on the wall for me to grab onto to climb into a bath! Plus my right leg does not bend so well. Aahh I feel better now!
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

thanks emd3, have booked 4 nights at the 4 points Sheraton and paid...got 30% off. Helpful as our dollar (AUD) is strong at the moment against US currency.
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 08:04 AM

I'm terribly sorry if you were offended by my post and certainly meant no disrespect or harm. Actually, most bathrooms here DO have a grab bar in the tub/shower but you'll be much better with a walk in shower and a place that won't require stairs.
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 09:26 AM

mclaurie - I felt the same way Kimberly did about your reply & I'm not even involved in the situation. She was asking for information & advice; it's really none of our business why she wants the walk in shower or why steps are easier than bathtubs. I was glad to see your apology!