Breckenridge (or similar) in the summer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I'm looking at hotels for our family summer vacation to Colorado. Last year we spent a few fun days at Copper, and want to visit a different ski resort this summer. I'm looking for a place with summer activities - the most important ski lift assisted mountain biking, with mountain scooters for the kids. I've chosen Breck b/c we've already done Copper and Keystone. Vail ticked me off b/c of the exorbitant ski lift fees, so I eliminated them. We spent a day at Winter Park one summer and they looked like they had good mountain biking. The rest of the place looked dead. Anyway, I'm open for suggestions if you think there's a better resort than Breck. (Steamboat's too far away from our route).

In Breckenridge, I'm having trouble choosing lodging. The woman at the one phone # I called insisted that A/C is not important (only one of their accommodations has A/C). Now I've only been to Colorado 4 times, but I remember that it can get pretty hot in the mountains. It was in the 90s the day we flew home from Denver last time, and even Ouray was hot (near 90).

Did we just hit heat waves? I'm from the east coast, and while I don't keep my A/C on the artic setting, I am used to cooler sleeping temps.

Any suggestions/comments appreciated!
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 04:56 PM

Karens- We live in Colorado, south of Denver, past the suburbs. We do not have A/C in our house & it does get hot in the daytime (usually only July) but cools off at night. The mountains should be cooler than Denver. We go to Breckenridge a lot, though mostly in the winter. We stay at the Village which is in a great location. I don't think you will need A/C. Did you find a list of lodging for Breck on the internet, seems like it should include those that have A/C.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Betsy. We will be there in July. I know it does get cooler at night. I'm just concerned that an upper lvel room with a small window won't be appreciably cooler after heating up all day.

Is the Village condo units? Are there any you would avoid?
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 05:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Take a look at the Marriott timeshare units at Breck. I don't know where the mountain bike lift is so can't comment on location but we were very happy with our unit. There are balconies and sliding glass doors so I would think the ventilation would be good.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:30 AM

We love Breck in the summer and have gone the last three years. We went in early June and it was rather cool. We dressed in layers and took off jackets in the middle of the day. We saw a little snow. It gets hot in Denver, but we had no heat at all. It was 90 in Denver one day but 70 in Breck. Even when it does get up to 90, there is almost no humidity so it is not oppressive. I would highly recommend looking for rentals on www.vrbo.com. Breckenridge has a huge selection of amazing home rentals in every size, most very nice and with hot tubs. Rates are cheaper before the second week of June. It is weird, the first week in June, it is deserted, second week, the crowds come in. Breck is much more fun in the summer than Winter Park!!!!Try white water rafting, fun, fun, fun!!!!
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:18 AM

You've had good recommendations on accomodations so far. I think Breckenridge is a great choice for you. You're close to Frisco and Silverthorne as well. Dillon Reservoir might be a fun day for you if you rent a boat.

On the temperature issue, I don't blame you for wanting AC. However, you can generally plan that it will be 20 degrees cooler in the mountains than in Denver during the summer. This, of course, doesn't happen all the time, but that's a general guideline.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 08:46 AM

You absolutely do not need air conditioning in the mountains. I would say the warmest it gets in Breck is 80 degrees, and that's in the sunlight in the middle of the afternoon. We have a top-floor condo with a loft, and have never felt overly warm, even in the hottest part of the day. And as you might have noticed from previous trips, because of the altitude and lack of humidity, the temperature really drops in the mountains once the sun sets; it should cool off just fine.

I'm biased, because we have a condo in Breck (don't rent it out, so I'm not advertising), but it's a great town to stay in, especially in the summer. It's a former mining town, with quite a few of the original buildings (especially east of Main St.). Nice selection of restaurants, mostly on the casual side. Beautiful setting, the river through town is gorgeous. There are frequently festivals in the summer; there might be one while you're visiting. And all sorts of activities.

The Village at Breck is a good location, and has an indoor-outdoor pool that kids usually really like. However, the resort is a bit older, and some of the unts show it (just a general observation, based on relatives staying there during a family reunion). Yes, it's a condo facility.

Marriott is new, and I think has access to an outdoor pool that has a small indoor part. Also a good location.

It sounds like you do know that there is "mountain biking" at Breck's Peak 8 facility. Along with an alpine slide, bungy jumping, a maze, mini-golf and a zip-line. There's also hiking all over the area, if you want to experience the mountains. There's a great bike path that runs from Breck to Frisco, and on to Dillon/Silverthorne, and then to Keystone.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 12:14 PM
MaureenB

Have you eliminated Aspen for some reason? It's a wonderful summer destination with several music festivals and great rafting trips, fishing, hiking, etc. Not to mention that Aspen itself is a fun town, with a lot of history. It's in a sweeping panorama of gorgeous Colorado.
I highly recommend it, especially since you've already been to Summit County and done Copper and Keystone. Breck is nice, but maybe you want to branch out and do someplace completely different.
July in the mountains is good timing. Probably will be dry for the most part, and you certainly don't need A/C. I don't even think you can find A/C in the mountain condos!
You can fly to Aspen, of course. Or the drive from Denver is scenic and about 4.5 hours' drive, unless you want to dawdle in Vail and/or Glenwood Springs on your way. If you look at Aspen, check out The Gant for a great condo/hotel complex a few blocks walking distance into Aspen proper. You can also do Snowmass, but I recommend Aspen itself.

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Maureen is correct, Aspen is wonderful in summer! I have spent some summers there and loved it but I was staying at my in-laws' house. Breckenridge just has so many more rental listings on www.vrbo.com and much better rates. Aspen is more limited and a further drive from the east. The hike up to the natural hot springs is amazing and Aspen itself is charming.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Ooh, tell me more about the hike to the natural hot springs near Aspen. Is it a long hike?

This is our 4th trip to Colorado and we just can't seem to get to Aspen - never quite "on the way". We always love to re-visit Ouray and Crested Butte, but this trip we're foregoing CB for Lake City and the jeep trail to Silverton.

To be honest, the "glitz" of Aspen is a bit of a turn-off for me. I don't like to shop in stores with insanely high prices, and I picture a lot of Aspen to be like that. I know it has a lot of history, and that does appeal to me. And I'd like to see Independence and Ashcroft, too.

I think you have all convinced me that I really don't need A/C at Breck in July. But if it's hot, you're all gonna hear about it!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 10:31 AM

Aspen in the summer is not pretentious at all. It is very homey, or at least it was when I went. I was very surprised as I expected this glitzy place and it is not like that at all.

The natural hot springs was about a half day hike if I remember correctly. We pitched a tent by the springs and left in the morning. Perhaps, others who have been more recently can elaborate.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 12:14 PM

How long will you be staying? If longer than a couple of nights I'd strongly suggest a condo (I'm also a big fan of VRBO.com). We stay in between Vail and Beaver Creek each summer usually last week of July or first week of August and have never needed a/c. However, in a hotel room you may have an issue with the heat more as they tend to not have as many operable windows. We stayed in Crested Butte in a suite at the Sheraton one night before our condo was ready. The living area had a window that opened but the bedroom did not. It had a ceiling fan so it wasn't unbearable but it was warmer than usual. You should be just fine without a/c as long as you make certain all rooms have windows you can open.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Have any of you had any negative experiences on vrbo.com?
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 12:53 PM

I am a HUGE fan of vrbo. We have travelled with four teens and cannot ever consider hotel rooms again, we're spoiled!

We rent 4 bedroom homes and it is cheaper than a few hotel rooms. You can have meals at the house when you want. We liked having breakfast at the house so we could get our day going quicker, it is painful to make kids wait in a restaurant when they are excited.

We have rented a home in Orlando (with our own pool and orange tree!), one in South Dakota, one in Winter Park, CO and Denver and three in Breckenridge. We just got our contract for a casita in Santa Fe for May (just the hubby and me this time!) They were all wonderful, spotless, and had everything you needed like cookware, games, books, movies, hottubs, deluxe bedding, guidebooks, you name it. We loved having all the room and it was nice for everyone to have their own personal space at the end of the night to relax after an evening of playing cards or games.

Breckenridge has a huge selection to choose from. I tell everyone I know about vrbo.com.