Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is the BEST time for summer visit to Vail/Beaver Creek visit?

Old Aug 11th, 2015, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Our family (10 adults - 7 children) are planning a summer reunion for 2016. Vail or Beaver Creek is likely to be the destination. What is the best time for the trip? We are all fairly flexible. Want to maximize the weather and pretty wild flowers. Is mid June okay or would later in July be prettier?
I read a review that in Aspen late July or August was the best time for wild flowers etc
What is your opinion for the prettiest time in Vail or BC area?
Thanks. Looking forward to your experiences.
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 09:06 AM

It would be similar. I would shoot for end of July. Mid June will still have snow on the ground at the higher elevations. Second Vail would be a better choice because of the wider range of activities for the children. BC in the summer is pretty quiet. However, before scheduling anything at Vail check their summer activities schedule. Vail tends to hosts a number sports camps in the summer.
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 10:40 AM

Crested Butte has their annual wildflower festival in mid-July (any excuse for a festival!). As fmpden notes, that indicates when most of the flowers tend to peak. Great displays usually at least into mid-August.

Here's a photo of some Colorado columbine I took last Friday (August 7) at about 12,000', as an example of an August bouquet.
http://nelsonchenkin.zenfolio.com/p8...4081#h52624081

In Vail don't miss the Betty Ford Alpine Gardens.
June vs. July weather can be a crap shoot, but good luck!
Old Aug 26th, 2015, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I was afraid that mid June might be iffy. Has anyone experienced Fourth of July in Vail, Beaver Creek area?
Old Aug 26th, 2015, 10:41 AM

Sure, many times. It is a great time but very, very busy. There is a parade in Vail, and depending on the weather, a large fireworks that night. There will be a bunch of sports camps in Vail that week so lots, and lots, of people. But bring jackets. When the sun goes down it can be very, very cool, quickly. One of our favorite activities when the boys were younger.

Another big fireworks display is in Avon (base of Beaver Creek) over the lake. Never spent the actual day of the 4th in BC but assume it would be more laid back, since the commercial area of BC is very small.

If considering the 4th you should probably hurry to get reservations for that large a group.