Breckenridge - 4/22

Mar 29th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Breckenridge - 4/22

My family and I will be staying just a few miles outside of Breckenridge for a long weekend 4/22... wondering if biking/hiking is doable then or if it's generally too muddy/damp from winter? Also, any good fishing close by? Many thanks!
Mar 29th, 2005, 10:25 AM

The Blue River is right there but the water may be running too high and fast for good fishing. You can fish the dam race right in back of the outlet stores in Silverthorne!! Big ole fish in there that feed on the teeniest shrimp you have ever tried to tie on the line!! Nymphing is the mode.
Mar 29th, 2005, 08:19 PM

I believe Breckenridge Ski Resort will
be closed for the season the weekend that you will be there...Try renting snowshoes at a local ski shop and hiking the trails because they will still be snow covered..take the area seriously...weather in the mountains changes dramaticaly and quickly
Mar 31st, 2005, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info...will look into it!
Mar 31st, 2005, 10:50 AM

The ski resort closes the weekend of April 17; I'm guessing that Vail, Keystone, Copper, etc. will close then as well - but you should check if you're interested in skiing. Arapahoe Basin will definitely be open.

Snowshoeing is a good idea; and on the lowest trails, you can probably get by with just snow boots. Right now, there's a ton of snow in Summit County, but if it warms up between now and then, that stuff will start to disappear.

It's unlikely that you'll be able to bike. Even if the roads and the mail bike path is clear of snow, it will probably be wet and pretty cool for biking. If you won't have your own bikes, the bike rental shops (which are generally ski rentals in the winter) probably won't be switched over to bikes yet.

Lots of good fishing. There are many guide shops in the area; you can hire a guide for the day and have a great time.
Apr 4th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Appreciate the great tips, Lexma90!