Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Breakfast Restaurant Recommendations in Tampa Bay

Jul 27th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

We will be staying at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay in August and the cost of breakfast at a Hyatt is notoriously high.

Can anyone in Tampa Bay area suggest a nice, reasonably-priced place to have breakfast for two adults?
Jul 27th, 2007, 01:17 PM

The Castaway has a Sunday brunch that's very popular. It's close by, on the Courtney Campbell Causeway.

The Village Inn and First Watch are two of the more popular local breakfast
places.
Jul 27th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Hubster: First Watch is close-by? That's great.

When we were in Lake Buena Vista a month ago, First Watch was our favorite place for breakfast.

Thank you so much...I will get directions from the Hyatt to First Watch (probably online somewhere).

How does it compare to the Village Inn?
Jul 27th, 2007, 04:24 PM

Both are very popular.

Here are Tampa locations for both:

http://www.firstwatch.com/locations.cgi#Florida

http://villageinn.com/locations/statelookup.asp
Jul 27th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Hubster,

Thank you for all your help.
Jul 27th, 2007, 07:03 PM

It's my backyard so I'm glad to be of help.
Jul 27th, 2007, 07:32 PM
OO

Unfortunately that hotel is somewhat isolated from restaurant hustle and bustle. My DH was GM until 2 years ago and even going to the grocery was a hassle from there.

While Castaways is very close if you are there on a Sunday, First Watch is about 15 miles away...not a distance I'd drive for breakfast. Village Inn, I'm not familiar with. You might be able to find something on Rocky Point a bit lower, but honestly, although the location is beautiful, it's not near either eateries or grocery stores (part of what makes it beautiful).

Jul 27th, 2007, 07:34 PM
OO

My husband just came in and suggested you try Dennys on Westshore ...only a couple miles from the hotel.
Jul 27th, 2007, 08:33 PM

The First Watch downtown (on Tampa Street) is not 15 miles from that hotel, it's 7 miles, approximately, according to Mapquest. I checked b/c that seemed off to me, although I'm no expert. Perhaps OO was thinking of the one in Carollwood?

The Village Inn at 215 N. Dale Mabry is about 4 miles from the hotel, near the intersection with Kennedy.

There's a TooJay's (and a Starbucks, and a Cinnabon, and a Cheesecake Factory, of course!) at International Plaza, near the airport.

My personal favorite for any meal is Pane Rustica, at 3225 S Macdill Ave; that's about 7 miles from the hotel, too.

Enjoy!
Jul 28th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

NewBe,

Last night I got directions online for both Village Inn and First Watch, and according to Mapquest, your mileage is correct from the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay.

I'll check-out Pane Rustica before we leave from CT in August. BTW, neither of us eats a "hearty" breakfast...it's just that $12.99 +/- for two eggs at the Hyatt is OTT.

OO, Denny's is another option and their prices are in-line.

I appreciate everyone's help with my question.
Jul 28th, 2007, 05:07 AM
OO

Actually, I didn't know about the one on Tampa St (it was a rare day I ever went downtown--jury duty and that's about it ) and was thinking of the Clearwater location. Even so, there is no way I'd drive into downtown for breakfast unless I had to be down there anyway!! International Plaza is no distance at all from the hotel so a viable option. Another that's pretty close but has a limited breakfast menu--muffins, and there is a new breakfast quiche too, is Panera Bread at the southeast corner of Kennedy and Westshore. They are especially good for lunches too.
Jul 28th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

OO,

Thanks for hanging in here with me. We are visiting 8/10 - 8/13, and the traffic "should" be light into downtown, but not my first choice.

We have one Panera in my (home) area, but I never thought they served breakfast. Great suggestion.

Jul 28th, 2007, 07:06 AM

The above suggestions are all fine for a generic, American style breakfast. However, Tampa has a rich Latin heritage that is an important part of its culture. I highly recommend La Teresita restaurant, 3246 W. Columbus (www.lateresita.com) for an inexpensive breakfast(or lunch or dinner). Sit at the counter, order Cuban toast and a cafe con leche (a full breakfast menu is also available), enjoy the babble of Spanish and English, and take in a unique Tampa dining experience. Don't worry about opening hours, it's basically always open. Enjoy!!