Breakfast in Savannah

Search

Breakfast in Savannah

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2004, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breakfast in Savannah

My husband, son and I are staying at the Westin in a couple of weeks. Usually we stay at a hotel that offers a free continental breakfast, so I've never really looked for breakfast locations. Where are some good places to grab a bite for breakfast within walking distance of River Street? Thanks for your help. These forums are such a wealth of information, I don't know how I ever planned a trip without them.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 04:51 AM

You really need to do the breakfast at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding house for the experience. On River Street you could try Hueys.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 05:08 AM

Another Savannah institution would be Clary's on Abercorn. It's a nice walk through the beautiful squares of Savannah.

PS - Have you read "the book"? In not, you may want to watch the movie, In the Garden of Good and Evil. It's not the best movie in the world, but you'll see references to it all over Savannah. The Williams house is now open for tourists on Monterrey Square and Clary's is not far away.

I was in Savannah a few weeks ago on business and took my pooch. I really enjoyed getting out in the morning walking her. I saw more of Savannah life on those walks than any trip before.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 05:12 AM

I was just at Mrs Wilkes a few weeks ago and it was fabulous. However it doesn't open until 11am and it isn't "breakfast" food. Yummy and fun, but not really breakfast (fried chicken, dressing, black eyed peas, banana pudding, sweet tea, and much much more!!).
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 05:16 AM

Mrs. Wilkes has served breakfast and lunch since it was truly a boarding house. Maybe it's stopped recently, but I'd not heard that. Talk about the big Southern breakfasts my grandparents grew up with!

I found this good list of historic district restaurants that may be helpful.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguid..._restaurants-i
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 05:25 AM

gracieb - Unless I'm crazy, Mrs Wilkes has indeed stopped serving breakfast. We would have preferred going for breakfast but that was not an option. We waited outside for the doors to open at 11am and were there for the first seating (and it wasn't breakfast). We were told the actual Mrs Wilkes passed away a couple of years ago (evidently she was working there right up until her passing) so things may have changed since then. However the food was wonderful and plentiful!!
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 05:44 AM

You're right, Snowrooster. I just called. They are no longer open for breakfast. That's sad - but I'm glad they are still open for lunch.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 06:22 AM
bonniebroad

Gracieb, you and I agree on most things on this forum, I think, but on Clary's, I wouldn't recommend it myself. We went there, because of "the book," and while it was okay, I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there again. Maybe there was a new cook in the kitchen that morning?

Old Sep 28th, 2004, 06:33 AM

I ate there a few weeks ago and enjoyed the "Ogelthorpe" breakfast and my friend had a good BLT. It's a greasy spoon, of course. Perhaps I hit a good cook day!
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 06:44 AM

Gee, we had breakfast at Mrs. Wilkes about two years ago. But in all honesty I didn't like the breakfast half as much as I like lunch there. Maybe that's why the place was about empty at breakfast and why it no longer does it.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 06:52 AM

Hugo's on River Street would probably be her best bet, but I don't really enjoy eating breakfast on River Street. I have when the complimentary breakfast at the River Street Inn was there, but would rather get out and about the beautiful streets and squares in the morning.

A walk to Clary's would be nice and then there's lots ot see on the way back.

There's another diner listed on the link and there's one that I've walked past a million times but can't figure out if it's a Denny's or what!

There are a lot of new places that have opened up recently so you'll probably pass something of interest.

Anyone else amazed at how many buildings SCAD has taken over in recent years? The trolley driver said it's up to 50 downtown locations! I love the diner that bought and kept the diner look and feel for a classroom!
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 07:43 AM

My son is a student at SCAD - I think it is amazing partnership between city and school, as they have a large historic preservation department - they are not into tearing down buildings and putting up skyscrapers. Many of the buildings they have renovated have been in dire need of something before being bought.

I hope that in the future this does not negatively impact the character of Savannah - SCAD is growing quite rapidly and sometimes schools' enormous appetites for buildings, land and dorms can be overwhelming to an area of a city.