Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Brandywine Valley--Where to eat, What to See?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
Planning a special weekend to the Brandywine Valley (which spans Pennsylvania and Delaware). I'd love some suggestions on places you loved to eat at and could recommend(from quick to fancier meals--American,Seafood, French,Continetal, Afternoon Tea places, Brazilian, Cuban, etc.(no Indian,Chinese, Mexican,or Steak houses)...

Also, what are your favourite things you like to do in the region? We'll have a car, so we can explore a bit. We've already planned to go to Longwood Gardens, and the Brandywine river museum.

By the way, researched some B&Bs, anyone stay at Hamanasset?

Appreciate your feedback on this. Thanks for sharing your insight on the area.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 02:25 PM

If you are at all interested in American antique furniture, you would be interested in visiting the Winterthur Museum (the old duPont estate) near Centerville, DE. It is quite possibly the finest museum of its kind anywhere.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 07:23 PM

The Mendenhall Inn is very nice (it is on Rt 52 just off of Route 1). It would be a fancier meal.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback. Anyone like to add their insight?
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 01:13 PM
syd

Have you thought of staying at Whitewing Farm? It's been a few years since I've been there, but it was very nice.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whitewing Farm is very nice. I've also heard good things about the Fairville Inn. Sovana Bistro on Route 926 in Unionville/Kennett Square area is a well-regarded restaurant. I think the chef learned his craft at Le Bec Fin.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Hmm, interesting suggestions, thanks!

Good to know of the food choices out there. Anyone else care to share on that?

Also, what other attractions do you recommend in the general area, aside from the museum, Winterthur, and Longwood Gardens?
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 01:43 PM

If you're going soon enough, you could add the Delaware Art Museum to your list. You'll be seeing lots of Wyeths at the Brandywine River Museum -- N.C., Andrew AND Jamie. For a few more weeks, the Delaware Are Museum also is having a Wyeth exhibit. It's just 30 minutes or so from the Brandywine River Museum to the Delaware Art Museum in Wilmington. If you happen to love Andrew Wyeth, the Philadelphia Art Museum has a dynamite exhibit, also going to close pretty soon. That museum, and exhibit, is world class!
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 02:08 PM

For dining near Brandywine River Museum /Longwood Gardnes- I take guests to Simon Pearce - it has a lovely restuarant over looking the river and you can check out the glass blowing downstairs as well. For a more casual meal go to Hank's Place for hearty Amish/diner type fare. For an afternoon treat - head to the center of Kennett Square and try the homemade mexican ice cream at La Michoacana. Buckley's Tavern on Rte 52 in Delaware(near Winterthur)has a wide ranging menu and pleasant rooftop dining. The Sunday Brunch at Winterthur is very nice as far as buffets go.

If you do go to Winterthur, don't forget to tour the grounds- especially the fariy garden for kids(of all of ages.)
For another diversion, there are also several wineries in the Chadds Ford area.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 06:49 AM

Good suggestions, Rumrita. I've never heard of La Michoacana. Do they have some interesting flavors?

Hank's also serves breakfast and you just might see Andrew Wyeth eating there with Helga, although not in the summer when he is Maine.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions.
I was also thinking it would be nice to go to a charming town in the region and just 'stroll around'. A place that has pretty architecture, hopefully some shops (no chain stores)....
Is West Chester, or Kennett Square,
(or some other place entirely), the place to keep occupied for a few hours/or/day?
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 06:06 AM

I think West Chester might fill the bill best. You could certainly spend 2 or 3 hours there. The center of town is at Gay & Market Street. There are many nice restaurants within strolling distance, and some unique shops. There is a gelateria & some coffee places as well. Check out West Chester's site:

http://tinyurl.com/le985
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

I love gelaterias! Do you know what the name of it is, Suki? Didn't see anything fitting that exactly on the site.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 03:41 AM

We've eaten at both Harry's places in downtown Wilmington (on the riverfront) and in North Wilmington.

Harry's Seafood Grill is on the riverfront www.harryseafoodgrill.com and the one in North Wilmington has delicious beef dishes. www.harrys-savoy.com
The websites give sample menus for lunch and dinner.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 08:48 AM

It's called Sprazzo and is on the corner of High & Gay Street.

By the way, you can see from the West Chester site that there are many fine restaurants there. Gilmore's is really highly regarded, but reservations are hard to get. Call well in advance of your trip if you are interested.