Picasso Museum - Antibes

Search

Picasso Museum - Antibes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2006, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picasso Museum - Antibes

It is closed for restoration. Does anyone know when it is opening? We will be there in July and hope it will be open by then. If not, what other museums in the area do you recommend?
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 03:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Marianna, there are several others, but for me the Peynet. I'm a big fan and have several out of print books of his romantic cartoons. I believe he drew the first Valentine's day stamp.

Archaeological Museum

The museum was established in 1963 in the Bastion Saint André, a fortification built by the great military engineer and Marshal of France, Vauban. It houses archaeological artifacts demonstrating 4,000 years of history. The current temporary exhibit compares two ways of using photography for archeology: a contemporary look by Eric Bourret, a talented photographer who gives his own personal and artistic view of archaeological sites; and a more documentary-based historic look at findings in Egyptian archives by Maurice Pillet and Georges Legrain, directors of the excavations at Karnak at the beginning of the 20th century.

Archaeological Museum

Bastion Saint-André

Tel: 33 (0)4 92 90 54 35

Napoleonic Museum

Documents and memorabilia from the Napoleonic era are on display

Napoleonic Museum

Batterie du Graillon - Boulevard Kennedy
Tel: 33 (0)4 93 61 45 32

Peynet Museum

The museum, opened in 1989, is named after the celebrated illustrator who spent many years in Antibes. It represents a short summary of work by the man who humbly claimed that he wanted to be an artist because, "Drawing was what I could do best".

Musée Peynet et du dessin humoristique
Place Nationale

Tel: 33 (0)4 92 90 54 30

Fort Carré

Built atop an isolated projection in 1550, the Saint-Laurent tower was consolidated by four surrounding citadels 15 years later. Thanks to Vauban's fortification work, this stronghold faced many attacks during its existence, but only succumbed to the Duke of Epernay and Napoleon's enemies.

Port Vauban
Antibe's Port Vauban is not only one of the largest Mediterranean harbors, it is also used by luxury cruise ships.

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. They all sound interesting.

As for the Picasso Museum, I cannot find any information on a re-opening date. I did read somewhere that it is closed for 18 months, but I do not know when it closed.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:18 AM

The Rothchild home and gardens is well worth a visit. http://www.musee-jacquemart-andre.com/en/ephrussi/215-/

The Maeght Fondation in St. Paul de Vence is also very good.
http://www.fondation-maeght.com/

There's a Matisse museum in Nice and his Chapel in Vence.

There's also a museum of modern art in Nice that I've never visited.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:07 AM

Adding to the list:
Nice - Chagall museum
Biot - Leger museum

The Orthodox cathedral in Nice is considered to be the finest of its kind outside of Russia.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

I received an email from someone at the Picasso Museum and she said the museum is closed for two years! So, no chance of going there in July which is too bad since the apartment we are renting is right in front of the museum. We have put the Chagall Museum on our list and love all the suggestions which you have made for us. Thanks!
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:42 PM

Marianna, the Maeght is a must see, the art is in and out of the building.
Lunch at the Colombe D'Or.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:44 PM

http://www.travellady.com/Issues/Jan...Foundation.htm
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Cigalechanta! That looks really interesting and the lunch suggestion is fabulous, too. Now, all we have to do is decide where to stay for the first 4 nights before going to Antibes (thinking of SML) and where to stay for one or two nights before departing from Nice.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:15 PM

Don't miss the Orthodox cathedral that TimS mentioned above. It is a little hard to find. But it is well worth searching. In some ways I think it is more beautiful than the Orthodox cathedrals in Moscow and St. Petersburg. I don't mean to offend anyone. It is just my opinion. I loved the beautiful colors they used.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:37 PM

I tried to visit the museum two weeks ago, not knowing it was closed. I had a lovely day in Antibes anyway. But the museum is scheduled to reopen in summer, 2007.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:42 PM

In addition to the great suggestions listed above: Mattisse Chapel (a must for any Matisse lover), the Maeght (be sure to see the Chapel dedicated to their son), Matisse and Chagall Museums (amazing)--Renoir's house in Cagnes sur Mer is quite interesting. There are usually lots of painters in the gardens which are also very nice. The Picasso Museum as well as the town of Vallaurius is very interesting too. So much great art so little time. Enjoy!
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 08:02 PM

Don't forget the superb art-glass museum in Biot, right across from the glass-blowing workshop.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all these suggestions - we wil be busy!

Underhill, I have been to Biot several times on past trips but have not yet visited that museum. I will make sure we do that this time. Thank you.