Search

Boys Saint Patrick's 2010 trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boys Saint Patrick's 2010 trip

Hi,

Any advice on booking a boys trip this St Patrick's day in NY. I'm booking for my two brothers and so far three of their male friends and wondered if anyone had any advice maybe about;

-when is best arrive in the city prior to the St Patrick's day?
-where is best to stay on a reasonable budget (no shared baths and the booking of more than one room if needed)?
-any suggestions on linked celebrations?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 10:02 AM

The best time to arrive is whenever the best flight fares are from their home airport. I use kayak.com for checking fares.

How old are these "boys" and where are they from? What do they consider a reasonable budget and how many rooms do they plan to get? There is no one "best" location or hotel. It's wherever they find a hotel with sleeping arrangements that suit their needs at their budget. If they're not 21, they may be limited by hotels that will accept under 21's.

There are no "linked" celebrations. The parade on Fifth ave. runs from about 11 am til 3 pm and all the bars/pubs will be filled to overflowing.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi, My brothers and the other boys are aged between 22 and 29, as for budget well I think $150 tops a night ( based on two or three in a room if that makes sense) was it but there not fussy so anything up to that providing no shared bath. I think if they could get a two rooms that would be great or one suite but there fairly open minded about it.

I've been checking Kayak and will be booking in the near future thanks.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 01:51 PM

Is that $150 per person or $150 per room?
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 02:13 PM

If this is just an expnsive drinking trip please avoid the East Village.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 04:40 PM

$150 for a room for 3 or 4 will be difficult - as the city is obviously mobbed for St Pat's Day. there are more than a million viewers and almost 200,000 marchers - including every politician in the city/state. This year the Grand Marshall is NYC Police Commissioner Ray Kelly - very popular.

For perspective a bed in a shared dorm room in a hostel is $40 - so $160 for 4 people.

One place you might want to try is the Hotel Newton on the upper west side. It is fairly basic but reliable and recently fluffed up. They are having an internet special for $150 for a double double (2 double beds) - but other rooms are sold out. So if you're interested I would reserve immediately.

The area is good - mid/upscale residential but with a lot of good inexpensive places to eat and right on an express subway stop to get you to the rest of the city. One potential issue is that Broadway in front of the hotel seems to be permanently under construction - but they don;t work at night.

As for other events - I'm not aware of any. But you could look at the web sites of Time OUt New York and New York Magazine to see if anything is listed.

The parade marches up Fifth Ave from 44th St with the VIP grandstand obvsiouly opposite St Pat's at 50th. You have the best chance of seeing and hearing a reasonable number of performances if you stand in the high 50's - but you will have to be there hours in advance to get anywhere near the front of the crowd.

Also be prepared for everything green - from beer to bagels to dogs and people's hair.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 04:43 PM

Oh - and do check the weather before you pack. You might be lucky and get a day that's 50 - but it can also be the 30's and snow isn't unknown.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 04:45 PM

Oh - and realize that drinking in public in NYC is illegal - and is enforced.

And those seriously publicly drunk can be swept up and end up spending the night in the Tombs (local holding jail).
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Right thanks all for your help, I've booked the Crown Plaza in Times Sq for them and have warned them about drinking in public!
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 04:39 AM

Crowne Plaza is a great hotel newly renovated. I can't imagine you got anything near that price unless it was $150/person/night.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 11:07 AM

Carrying an open container in NYC can cost you as well.