Boutique hotel with 2 dbl beds?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You helped me tremendously with my trip to NYC in October, and I'm planning a return trip in April.

We'll be a group of 5 or 6 women, so are looking for rooms with 2 double beds so we can have 3 to a room. After reading the thread regarding suites with sofa beds, I'm reluctant to do that.

We stayed at the Mariott Marquis last time and it was great. But we'd like to try something like the Casablanca this time. Something smaller with more amentities, altho it doesn't have to be near Times Square. We like that location, but we're flexible with the midtown area.

I'm considering The Park South, but not sure if it's a convenient location. And it doesn't seem to offer a lot of amentities. But then again, $300 or less a night for 3 to a room would be great.

So what do you suggest for a nice room with 2 double beds at $300 a night?

Thanks!
Barb
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 07:27 PM

I cannot imagine 3 ladies with one bathroom - check out the Travel Inn's double/doubles.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

LOL, I thought that might come up. Yes, it's a consideration. We did it before, at the Marriott, but it takes longer to get out of the room in the morning.

Thanks for the tip on the Travel Inn.

Barb
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 09:13 PM

djkbooks,

We need to stop recommending the Travel Inn!!!! I've tried to book it the last 2 NY visits and there's no availability

featherwatcher - the Travel Inn is wonderful if you visit in the summer (it has a pool) or if you intend to drive into Manhattan - free parking. The rooms are double/double and some of them have a view of the Empire State Building.

It's a basic hotel, clean with good sized rooms but small bathrooms in a quiet area near Times Square. No restaurant on site but a nice deli/cafe next door - good for breakfast.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:14 AM
GoTravel

There is no way three people could possibly fit in one room at the Park South. I've seen their larger rooms and my bathroom is bigger.

Have you looked at the Michelangelo? Le Parker Meridian? The Surrey Hotel?

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:22 AM

The simple solution, obviously, is to ask the hotels their rates for a double/doubles for three people. (Most hotels charge extra $$$ for the third person--usually in the $25-30 range.)
Also, specifically, what do you mean by "more amenities"?
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:26 AM

The Blakely.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:28 AM

I thought boutique hotels are, by definition, smaller and the rooms are less likely to accommodate a larger group?
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, yes, the Travel Inn looks like good basic accomodations, but we'd prefer something a little more upscale.

Thanks for the tip about Park South, that's what I need to know.

I will check those hotels you mentioned, GoTravel & wliwl. Thanks!

My problem looking for rates for 3 to a room is I'll often get a quote but can't tell if it's two double beds or just a king plus a sofa bed.

I guess maybe "boutique" is more appropriate for couples, rather than large groups.

Having a continental breakfast would be convenient, as well as having the better linens, etc...

Will do more looking.

Thanks,
Barb
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:23 AM

featherwatcher,

try the Hotel Metro - a small boutique hotel within half a block of Macy's, They have double/double rooms, a fitness room and a complimentary breakfast.

We stayed there in early December and I would love to visit spring or fall when the weather would be nice enough to sit out on their roof terrace. Tripadvisor has photographs from guests taken from the ESB.

Nice rooms, clean and well maintained, we were upgraded to the 'penthouse' floor (a.k.a. the 13th floor )
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:00 AM

I use quikbook.com for hotel searches and they're very specific about what kind of bed(s). I also did a search this morning on hotels.com and while the first screen/price may not indicate the bed configuration, if you click to room description it does, and then if the room/price is a double or queen bed they offer an option to check prices on other size rooms. Ok, lesson over.

If you really want to do 3 in a room, I suggest an all suite hotel and get a 1 bedroom suite with 2 double or queen beds. Not only will you have more space, but if sharing a bed for the 2 is a problem, there's always the option of the sofa bed for 1.

In the theater district, the Blakely, the Rihga Royal and the Doubletree Guest Suites fit the bill.

South of there, (not my favorite area), in addition to the Metro is the Affinia Manhattan, recently renovated.

On the east side, the Affinia 50 (my first choice) or the nearby Kimberly.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:04 AM
GoTravel

Let me just add that The Surrey Hotel is a gorgeous boutique hotel but it is on the Upper East Side catty corner to The Carlyle Hotel.

You're picking high cotton in that area.

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:11 AM

Just had a quick look at prices, and those I mentioned may not be in your budget in April. The Beekman Tower is not the most convenient location near the UN, but a nice neighborhood and all suites. That might work. The Kimberly might also be ok.