Search

Boston visit help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston visit help

We're an older couple staying in Boston in May for 5 days. We will be staying at the Tremont. I would love any sightseeing advice, and especially restaurant advice. We were there four years ago and wanted a great lobster dinner. We were advised to go to Jimmy's Harborside; food was awful. The lobsters were small and dried out and the price was high for a bad meal. Would love a recommendation for a good lobster dinner. We will have no car, so walking distance from the Tremont or a cab would be necessary. Thanks!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 08:07 AM

Legal Seafoods is always a safe bet for seafood - there are several locations in Boston. Also Skipjacks, Jasper White Summer Shack. The Daily Catch has an Italian version of lobster.

Try taking a Duck Tour. Visit the Museum of Fine Arts or the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. Take a ride on the Swan Boats in the Public Gardens, shop on Newbury St. Head over to Cambridge to see Harvard Sq. The Kennedy Library is very interesting. The Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities has some interesting tours availabe from time to time. Take a tour of Fenway Park - the greatest little ballpark in America and home of the World Champion Boston Red Sox.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The Gardner Museum is a small gem!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 08:26 AM
gc

Cesca,

Ditto bennie and Fenway, check redsox.com and see if the olde towne team is in town. If you're into history, walk the Freedom trail and visit the old burial grounds, see the USS Constitution. Take a swim in the Big Dig...(sorry, inside joke)...

Sorry 'bout Jimmy's. For non-seafood, we had a great dinner last month at Todd English's Bonfire in the Park Plaza.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Take a whale watch cruise with the New England Aquarium. http://www.neaq.org/visit/wwatch/index.

They guarantee whale sightings, giving another cruise free if you do not see whales.

Keith
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Art

Also visit Fanual Hall Market place. Have a meal at Durgen Park. Wander up to the North Church, Visit Paul Rever's home.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 09:18 AM

Freedom Trail & Boston Commons (ride the swan boat - if you have grandchildren, Make Way for Ducklings is a great gift book); good snacks and fun shopping at Fanuel Hall/Quincy Mkt area; the aquarium is very well done - I love the penguins; Newburry for shopping but only if you are tre chic; and Durgin Park for food! I was disapointed at Legal when we were there in Nov - the best lobster roll I had (and I ate 3 in 24 hours) was at Durgin Park, and you can't beat the history and atmosphere!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 11:28 AM

I am a fan of Summer Shack - others have dubbed it over-priced, but for city seafood, you usually get what you pay for. While not walking distance from your hotel, it is at Alewife stop (Cambridge) of Red Line of MBTA. They do a clambake thing where they put lobster, steamers, corn, potatoes and Porteguese sausage in a mesh bag, steam it, and bring it to your table. If you are into raw clams or oysters, they have the freshest ones on the planet. Very different setting from Jimmy's - informal booths and tables, paper on tables, huge lobster tanks in middle of room next to the steamers.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 11:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
There is one downtown Boston on Dalton St in the Back Bay.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 01:06 PM

I spent one night at the Tremont. The room was comfortable, but very tiny.

The Blue Men Group place is right behind the hotel, it's fun for any age!