Boston - 2 nights, 1 full day

Old Jul 10th, 2015, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston - 2 nights, 1 full day

We will be in Boston next week for a brief 1 full day with two kids 10 (girl) & 13 (boy). Any suggestions on what to visit, tour, or retaurants, and what to purchase as unique Boston souvenir?

Thanks.

Tierom
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

We will be staying centrally on St. James Avenue.
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 02:33 PM
cw

You can walk the Freedom Trail which begins at the Boston Common near Park St. Station, tour Fenway Park (interesting even if you're not a big baseball fan), take a cruise to one of the Boston Harbor Islands, like George's Island, and have lunch at the food court at Quincy Market (look for souvenir shops as well).

There is a Portuguese Tall Ship in town, docked at Fan Pier (near the Federal Courthouse), next week and it's open for tours.

Eat dinner in the North End, Boston's Italian area. There are loads of restaurants so you can walk around and see what appeals to you. For seafood, Legal Seafood is always consistent. There are locations in the Seaport area, near the Aquarium, and in Park Square.

You can also take a Duck Tour from the Prudential Center to get an overview of the area.

If you have specific interests, there are a million other things to do.
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 03:38 PM

Three great art museums and two or three very good ones, the Museum of Science, the Natural History Museums at Harvard.

Historic buildings: Paul Revere's House, Old North Church, Trinity Church in Copley Square, Old State House, John F. Kennedy Library.

The weather is highly variable in Boston and within Boston because of the ocean. With an east wind, the center of the city will be twenty degrees cooler than the 'burbs. Think of rainy day activities as well as sunny day activities.

Buy the girl a copy of "Make Way for Duclkings", an iconic Boston book, meant for younger children but it will make Charles Street and the Duckling statues in the Oublic Garden meaningful. Your son is "too old" for the Swan Boats, but he won't be sorry when the ride is over.
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Great suggestions including Fenway, Duck Tour and Freedom Trail.
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 02:57 AM

cw has good suggestions. I would start day by riding MBTA to Fenway and taking an AM tour. (Kenmore stop - not Fenway stop). Then walk to Prudential Tower, go to observatory and look out over Boston.

From there you can catch a Duck Tour. Return back to Prudential and find someplace to eat lunch. Then walk to Common to start Freedom Trail, stoping in whatever buildings you want - Old North Church, a couple of smaller museums.

Depending on time, the Tall Ship sounds like a good possibility. Walk thru Faneuil Hall marketplace if you want Boston souvenirs. Dinner in North End also agree with.

There are also lunchtime Boston Harbor cruises that take just over an hour, so you might want to plug that in instead of something else.

While Boston weather reports are notoriously unreliable, there are supposed to be some rainy days, so check out which museums might be acceptable to the kids - although many of the above work either way as long as you have a raincoat. Duck Tours run even in the rain in the summer.
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 04:58 AM

I have a suggestion about dinner in the North End, given the ages of your children. I recommend this all the time, but I don't have anything to do with the places except as a satisfied customer.

Antico Forno in the North End on Salem Street (rather than the main street, Hanover) is reasonably priced and has a broad selection of Italian food, but also great brick-oven pizzas, if you kids would prefer something simpler. After dinner, stroll further down Salem Street to Bova Bakery, on a corner, open 24/7, and with scrumptious Italian sweets. My personal favorite is the sfogliatelle, perfectly made. There are more popular and famous bakeries on Hanover, but Bova is the real deal.

I have seen a lot of families over the years, wandering aimlessly around the North End, getting less & less agreeable while confronted with the many choices. If it is warm & humid as the week promises to be, I think it's much nicer to have a destination in mind!

Between the North End and South Station walk along the glorious Greenway, a long, corridor park, with trees, fountains to splash in, food trucks, etc. Detour to the (admittedly expensive) Aquarium for you children, if they are interested in that--it's a really good one.