Reload this Page >

Boston trip-scouting for a move

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Renee

I am planning a trip to Boston in October where I will be scouting for apartments and jobs for my (hopeful) move in December. Does anyone have recommendations on charming, historical, SAFE places to stay that don't have to be downtown? Any practical advice such as neighborhoods to avoid would be appreciated as well.
Thanks!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 01:29 PM
Jen

Boston's a pretty safe place, so don't worry about that. I'm not sure why you don't want to stay downtown...driving in and around Boston is not easy for people not familiar with the city. You may want to reconsider that. Would you be wanting to settle in the city?

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Parrot Mom

I can think of a million reasons for living downtown Boston..unfortunately it's very, very expensive.. If you have enough $$ you might find a condo in the North End or South End..there are some opposite the Cathederal on Washington Street.. Otherwise you'll have to look in Jamaica plain, S. Boston if your lucky, Dorchester..or even the 'burbs like Framingham and Natick where you can get a train in.. With all the college students here apartments and condos are very expensive and harder to find than hen's teeth..Good luck!!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 02:49 PM
Renee

I'm not against staying downtown. I'm not against staying in the suburbs, either. I always use public transportation when I travel so I don't have a problem with that. I'm looking for a place to stay that is near public transportation to take me to all the tourist attractions in addition to residential and business districts. I would like to live in the city but I've searched for some apartments on the internet and noticed how expensive they are in the city versus suburbs.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 06:00 AM
paula

For scouting thing out, I can offer two practical solutions. There is a Howard Johnson's on Boylston St. (right behind Fenway Park). There you would haev access to the T from Fenway Station or Kenmore Square, which would tehn get you wherever you need to go. I tink there is a Holiday Inn on Beacon St as well - set up would be the same - right on the green line.

For a less expensive option, there is a Holiday Inn at the end of the Green Line - Needham I think - at the Riverside Station. You could leave your car at the hotel and T into the city - again, then beong able to access all areas. The T has a great website (MBTA.COM)with maps and hints for getting around Boston.

My son is one of the college studnets the above writer spoke about - last year he paid $600/moth for basically one room in the Fenway area. Tihis year he is splitting a 3 BR apartment - his share of the rent is $720!!!! Yikes! Good luck!

Brookline Village is a nice area - Newton Highlands and Newotn gets very expensive. There are some places in Natick, close to the commuter line.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 02:51 PM
Ila

1. Brookline - i live here, so obviously i think it is the best place to be. Call Metro Realtors.

2. Beacon Hill - small, expensive apts. but plenty of charm.

3. North End. If you like Italian food, you are in heaven.

4. Back Bay - very expensive and some snoooty people but lovely area close to the Charles river, Copley Sq.

5. Cambridge - less expensive multicultural and friendly place. Some nice places around Harvard Sq.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 05:16 PM
Donna

Every year, Boston Magazine devotes an issue to comparing the various places to live in the Boston metro area. You may want to obtain this year's issue, or the article may even be on their website, which may be www.bostonmagazine.com.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 02:55 AM
htsahspu

Also check rentals in East Arlington, where you can bus to Harvard square or walk to the Alewife Red Line station. Or Inman Sq. part of Cambridge. Lots of 20-30 year olds in these areas.
There's a cheap TAGE Inn in Somerville you could check, and some hotels near Lechmere area.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 07:11 AM
milisande

I live in the central square area of cambridge(near MIT).After living for many years in the back bay it broke my heart to leave, but when the Euros took over it became too expensive. I don't drive but I can walk across the bridge right into the backbay or bad weather, take the bus or subway.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 11:40 AM
Renee

Thanks to everyone for your reply. I look forward to seeing and eventually living in Boston!

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 08:28 PM
zz-top

http://www.brown.edu/Facilities/Univ...nks.htm#boston

On another thread about Boston, a contributor posted the above website --- yes it's long --- best to simply copy & then paste it into your address field.
It has GREAT links to a variety of issues/aspects of Boston.