Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Boston to Provincetown in August - car or ferry?

Old Nov 21st, 2007, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I (from Australia) will be in Boston next August for a few days. We were planning to take the ferry to Provincetown on Cape Cod for some small town experience. Given the possible summer crowds, would it be easier to take the ferry, or would it be more useful in a car as we could stop at other places along the way.

A second question to this is - is there much to see/do in Provincetown (esp. without a car), or can someone provide better destinations for a daytrip from Boston? I like quaint/old architecture, history and shopping for nicknacks.

[I've checked and unfortunately I think 3.5 hrs each way to Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory is a bit too long in the car for one day!!]
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 03:35 AM

Well, Provincetown is at least a 2.5 hour drive from Boston -- much longer if there's a lot of traffic or if you make stops along the way.

For a day trip, then the ferry is definitely the way to go. P'town offers plenty of history, architecture, charm, and knicknacks.
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 06:17 AM

Definitely the ferry. Provincetown has a walkable downtown area so it's a good daytrip.

Other possibilities would be Rockport or Newburyport MA (about 45 min from Boston) or Portsmouth NH (1 hour from Boston).
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 07:20 AM

P'town is a long drive from Boston, and if your total trip is only a few days, take the ferry. On the other hand, if you have the time to meander, driving will take you past some wonderful small towns and spectacular beaches on the Cape (just plan your drive as to avoid the weekend crowds). P'town is NOT your typical small New England village - it is an old but very touristy fishing village/resort town that attracts an eclectic mix of families, gay couples and fishermen. Other areas not too far from Boston that have lots of charm and scenic beauty include Lexington, the Berkshires, the Maine coast, southwestern New Hampshire, southern Vermont, and the Litchfield area of Connecticut. However to explore most of these areas requires renting a car.
Most of rural New England is made up of small,charming villages. Have you looked at http://www.yankeemagazine.com/travel/index.php
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 08:09 AM

Definitely take the ferry. I went for a weekend with a friend a few years ago, and we had a great time. Plenty to keep us busy on foot and it's a nice boat ride. We are both non-drivers and it was a nice change to be able to comfortably do a non-city destination without a car.
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 08:59 AM

For a day-trip, definitely the ferry. If you want to stay for a day or two, then a car might be worth it so you can do some exploring, but given the parking and traffic issues, it's madness to take a car to Ptown for just the day.
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 09:43 AM
TahitiTams

Just back from driving from Boston to Ptown and like everyone has stated if you are in for a day..take the ferry..if you are 2-3 days, I would take the car.
Love Ptown..but the parking is expensive and not much of it..
I loved that we took the car to other towns like Truro and others that are so quaint and lovely.
It took us 2 hours to drive in
mid September..
I wish I had more time than 3 days since I fell in love with the Cape!

Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. It will most likely be our original plan of taking the ferry to Provincetown for the day. But I might look into some other nearby towns as suggested. My friend is not likely to drive in the US, but I think if I can manage driving in France, then the US should be easier.

We've got 2.5 days in Boston (flight out at 6.50pm) and are currently planning Provincetown for 1 day, Salem for half a day and Boston for two half days.
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 03:24 AM

I just reread your original post. Instead of focusing on the transportation method, one thing now jumps out at me - the "small town experience".

Provincetown is not your typical US small town, especially in the summer. Just want to make sure you are aware that it has a disproportionately high percentage of gay and lesbian residents and visitors in the summer. That does not mean that everyone is not welcome and comfortable, and I believe it adds a certain unique character to the town. My family has visited there for at least a day or 2 almost every summer for years - and we are the standard and boring hetorosexual couple with 2 kids.

It is also very crowded in the summer. There is one main street that is congested with cars and pedestrians as well as many unique little shops - one of the few places where chain stores have not over-run the retail scene.

Other positives - there are beaches within easy trip from downtown - not the beautiful expanses of white sand on other parts of Cape Cod, but beaches. And there is also legitimate history related to its location at the very end of Cape Cod. Also some really good restaurants and places with actual local seafood.

You have a short time in the Boston area, so I would not make this trip as a driving one, especially as you are somewhat unsure about driving in US. I might keep it as a possibility and make your final decision based on weather when you arrive - the ferry is a nice trip, but if the weather is bad not a lot of fun. Nor do you want to be "trapped" in Provincetown in really bad weather waiting for the next ferry back to Boston.

And as far as Boston area weather is concerned, long range (over 1-2 days) out is not reliable. And weather in Provincetown can be very different - usually rainier or mist - than what you will see from your hotel room in Boston.

Have a great trip.