Search

Boston salem new york waikiki

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 12:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston salem new york waikiki

Hi all
grown daughter and I will be travelling from Sydney Australia around the 28th September and have to be back oct 14
not long but weve been to new York and Waikiki already so just a quick revisit

so far im thinking
we fly ou Friday night or Saturday morning
arrive Saturday or sunday in boston
rest and explore boston til say Tuesday or wed
then get to salem somehow..ferry? train?
and stay a night and do the witch tours and any other thing of historical interest

we will get ourselves to new York somehow...need advice here
and meet husband on Saturday
he is trying to get tickets to the bruce springsteen concert any night that weekend or Monday

Tuesday we might fly out to Honolulu for a short stay in Waikiki...shopping and rest before flying home on the Friday im guessing cos we lose a day coming back to Sydney

i know theres a heck of a lot of travelling but that's ok
we will have other opportunities in the near future to visit the states again..this is just an indulgence cos of the bruce concert thing...
thanks for any suggestions

I cant talk with a travel agent til tomorrow and im hoping to go there armed with some local expertise re travelling options between boston salem and new York

thanks so much, fodorites!
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 02:23 AM

I have loved the food tours in Boston's North End and Chinatown. This September we are planning to do the one in south Boston. There's a lot of local history combined with food samples as you go thru a neighborhood.
Not sure about how to get to Salem. The Peabody Essex Museum is very interesting.
A friend who travels to NYC frequently likes the train from Boston the best. The train leaves from South Station.
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 02:58 AM

Best way to get from Boston to Salem is via commuter rail out of North Station. Salem’s train station is a short walk from all the sights.

There’s easily a full day’s worth of attractions. The major musts are the Peabody Essex Museum, House of Seven Gables, Salem Maritime National Historic Site, and Phillips House (the street this last is on, Chestnut Street, is lined with gorgeous old houses). I also like the Salem Witch Museum, but not everyone shares my enthusiasm. There’s a trolley that runs through downtown and the MacIntyre District and also goes to Salem Willows. In season, this last is a fun but honky-tonk cheesy spot with lots of arcades, junk food and such (including perhaps the only place on earth where one can still get a chow mein sandwich); it’s ideally visited in the evening after the other sights are closed.

I don’t recommend the other ghoul and witch museums, of which there are plenty. Venture to these at your own risk.
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks defrost and bachslunch! Any suggestions for accommodation in Boston? Nice ...around say 200 usd? Central to sights ...any districts to avoid in Boston or Salem? We tend to stay centrally...don't mind touristy and crowded ..as long as not impossibly noisy !
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 06:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Boston to Salem Ferry Schedules & Fares | Boston Harbor Cruises

disclaimer: I have zero personal experience but your post made me curious about ferry possibilities and I found this online.
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 09:29 AM

No comment except that my DH saw Bruce last year and still thinks it’s the best “show” he’s ever seen. Hope you snag tix!
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 09:30 AM

We don't have a favorite Boston hotel. Make sure you are located convenient to the T. I kind of like the Copley Square area. You will probably have trouble finding a hotel less than $200.
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 02:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would search for hotels using Booking.com or Trivago.com if you get no other recs. I agree that you want to be near the public transport (the "T" as noted above).
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 03:26 AM

If you are doing a day trip to Salem, if the weather is nice, I would do the ferry one way and the train back to Boston.

If your flights are not already set, you could put the NY portion either before or after the Boston portion of the trip depending on when you can get the Springstien tickets. Look on StubHub for concert tickets.

Take the train for travel between Boston and NY.