Boston/Mt. Washington/BarHarbor Itinerary

Jul 2nd, 2009, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Boston/Mt. Washington/BarHarbor Itinerary

We are planning a 10 night New England trip for the end of July/first of August. We have two teenagers (13 and 15), and we are fairly adventurous travelers who like to be active. We are thinking of flying into Boston, staying 2 nights somewhere, then driving to see Salem for the day and staying one night in the Kennebunkport area. From there we would go over to the Mt. Washington Resort in New Hampshire for 3 nights, then to Bar Harbor Inn for 4 nights. We would then go to Portland for one night and fly home. Any great suggestions for whether this is a reasonable itinerary and "must do" things in these locations? I am particularly concerned about what there really is to do in Kennebunkport. Also, what are the most important "must do" things in Boston and where is a great, centrally located place to stay there? I know this is a lot of questions, but thanks for any suggestions or comments.
Jul 2nd, 2009, 10:03 AM

A hotel close to Quincy Market and Boston's North End would be good or else something close to Copley Square. The Duck Tours are very popular. Your teens might like to visit the Museum of Science for the laser show and maybe IMAX theater. See the Blue Man Group if you haven't already. Explore Chinatown and have a dim sum lunch. Explore the North End and have dinner there. The pushcart vendors are in Haymarket Square adjacent to Quincy market on Fridays and Sats. Great place to pick up fresh fruit and enjoy the experience.
I would alter your route because Kennebunkport to Mt Washington and then back to the Maine coast seems like some unneccessary mileage. Salem is ok but you might like Portsmouth NH better. Take a harbor cruise or inland rivers. Check what's going on. Portsmouth has a couple of theaters plus events that take place in Prescott Park. We haven't been to the seacoast science center at Odiorne Point in a long time but your kids may be a little old for that. Also near Portsmouth is Water Country if you want a wild day at a water park or the teens simply out vote you. From Portsmouth it's less than an hour to Concord NH and then up Rt 93 would give you some different scenery than going further north in Maine and then across. Resort's directions to take Rt 16 from the Portsmouth area I don't think is as scenic. Rt 93 goes right thru the mountains. 16 is probably quicker.
There are probably sea kayaking opportunities in the Portsmouth area. There are several rental places for river kayaking in the Concord NH area. You'll probably find lots of kayaking rental places. It's very popular. Rt 93 would give you option of visiting the Flume on your way to Mt Washington Resort. I think there are also a couple of jet ski rental places along Rt 3 in the Lake Winnisquam area near Laconia NH.
There is tons to do in both NH and Maine just be careful of too much driving.
Jul 2nd, 2009, 10:13 AM

Walking the Freedom Trail and a ride on the swan boats are musts when you come to Boston. I second the vote for dim sum in Chinatown and dinner in the North End.(My fav is Rabia at 73 Salem St.)
Jul 2nd, 2009, 10:17 AM

I also second the vote for Portsmouth, NH. It's a fun place to explore with tons of great restaurants.
Jul 2nd, 2009, 10:57 AM

We just returned from Boston and had a lovely time. As was mentioned, you do need to spend an evening walking around the North End. It's so charming....I fell in love with it. Tons of good places to eat. Make sure to stop by Mikes and get a cannoli. You won't be sorry you did.

Since you're not going to be in Boston very long, you might want to consider a trolly tour for one day. We rode the Old Town Trolly and were very happy with it. It covers so much ground with hop-on, hop-off service. It would be hard to hit all of the highlights on your own.

Have fun!
Jul 8th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for these suggestions! My husband has now changed our itinerary and we are unfortunately no longer going to Mt. Washington. Now, we are flying in to Portland, driving up to Southwest Harbor and staying at the Claremont Inn for 4 nights to explore that area, particularly the Acadia National Forest. After that, we are staying 2 nights in either Kennebunkport or Ogunquit -- still trying to figure out where. Any suggestions? We then go from there to Boston for 2 nights. We plan to stop at interesting places as we are driving from place to place and to explore around the areas where we are staying. My two teenagers want to include a day in Salem on the way to Boston. Any further suggestions on any of this would be welcomed!
Jul 10th, 2009, 03:13 AM

You will enjoy Acadia and there's lots to do for the teens - kayaking, hiking, biking the carriage trails. After that you have many choices and may want to be a bit flexible depending on the weather, unless you're picky about accommodations. You could do a night in Camden/Rockland then down to the southern coast. Or if its bad weather you might want to be in the Portland area (Freeport - outlets and the original LLBean store, Portland - more indoor stuff to do, museums, see Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth, walk around the Old Port (funky shops and restaurants). The Sea Dogs (The Red Sox AA team) play in a nice park in Portland and we're launched many of the Sox stars over the years. Ogunquit/K'port are close together so either is fine to stay. Ogunquit has the big sandy beach which is my favorite beach of all time. Also Perkins Cove (again, funky shops, etc.) and the Marginal Way walk between the beach and cove. K'port is a nice village and there is also a sandy beach across the river. Of course there's Bush's place to drive by too. If your kids are getting wound up, go to Old Orchard Beach - the Coney Island of Maine. Amusement rides, unhealthy food, and fun. Depending on where you're from, you may be amazed by all the French being spoken by the tourists from Quebec. Its a zoo but is also fun in the right frame of mind.

Search this Thread