Maine/New Hampshire/Vermont

Aug 5th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Maine/New Hampshire/Vermont

I will be traveling to Portland Maine Oct.4 thru Oct 11th. We are wide open to plans and the more I research the more I need help. We would like to see the fall colors and spend some time by the ocean. My husband would also like to see some of the historial things. I would appreciate any suggestions on what to see and where to stay and what would be a good itinery. Thanks
Aug 5th, 2008, 04:08 PM

At this point, you may not have much of a choice as reservations may be tough to get for hotels. Definitely head down towards Ogunquit for a couple of nights. And maybe towards the White Mountains in NH for the foliage.
Aug 5th, 2008, 04:15 PM

You could drive up north to Acadia National Park. The White Mountains of NH are great. You could also hike Mt. Monadnock in western NH. Take a day to go down to Boston. But you need to make reservations NOW.
Aug 5th, 2008, 05:07 PM

You have two obvious options.

One go north to Bar Harbor and the Acadia National Park area, this is a beautiful area of Maine, and you could also drive to Campobella Island in Canade for a look at Roosevelt's Summer White House.
Then drive across to Northern NH Possibly through Quebec and down through NH to massachusetts and the historic towns there.
The foliage will be stronger the farther you get from the ocean, so NH will be a week or so more advanced than the coust of Maine.

Or you could head south and make a stop in Salem, Mass to tour the whaling village and historic houses including the House of 7 Gables fame. There is plenty to see in Salem and you could easily spend 2 full days wandering there, but 1 will do on a tight schedule.

Then you can't miss with a tour of Boston it will take all day, Fanuel Hall, the Freedom Trail and the commons are a full day. You'll find a great variety of historic sites to enjoy. Stay in Boston that night, or book a hotel in Concord MA, about 1/2 west of boston, which would be much cheaper, for a half day of touring the village green and bridge (recreated) where the "shot heard round the world was fired". Concord is a great town of lovingly restored homes, so tour and wander to enjoy it all, then you can go north to the White Mountians of New Hampshire. I would suggest staying somewhere near Lincoln, a smallish ski resort village, Lots of B&B's & lovedly hotels in the area it's a very friendly village with good restaurants.

From Lincoln you can drive the Kacamagus Highway, why they use that term I'll never know, it's a small winding road through the mountains with the most glorious views this side of the Alps. Just plan a wander through the mountains and stop often for photos.

You should not have too much of a problem getting reservation but you must do it soon. The weekends will be the most problematic, since they are usually booked far in advance.

You're itinerary may be determined by where you can find accomodations.

Enjoy, New England is incredibly beautiful in the autumn.

If I can help let me know, I live in NH and travel frequetly to Maine so I could help plan an itinerary if you wish.
Aug 5th, 2008, 05:09 PM

Sorry Concord is 1/2 hour west of Boston.
Aug 5th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your help. We will be staying in Portland the first night, then 2 nights in Bar Harbor, then staying in Lincoln,NH. and the last 3 days I still have to book either in NH or in Boston. I know we are jumping around a bit but I already had the 2 nights in Bar Harbor booked. Do you have any suggestions for places to stop and things to see. Thank you again.
Aug 6th, 2008, 04:02 AM

From Portland to Bar Harbor you should plan a stop in Camden. If you can go up the auto road to Mt Battie which overlooks Camden Harbor the view will be incredible. Not sure if windjammers will still be in port or already gone south. The maritime museum in Bath would be historical, also the Owls Head Transportation Museum in Rockland. Nearby is a short, easy hike to Owls Head Light for another great view. From Bar Harbor to Lincoln NH I think you can plot a good route thru Bangor ME. We enjoyed the Cole Transportation Museum there esp since it devotes more space to the logging industry and work vehicles used in Maine. Make sure to see photos of the Lombard Hauler.
Lincoln NH stay will give you plenty of time to explore the White Mountains. We have not been to the Remick Museum in Tamworth which is a bit to the south but see interesting activities scheduled there. Our favorite area for a Sunday drive is Center Sandwich. It's quite close to Lake Winnipesaukee but much more quiet with some lovely old homes and some nice mountain views. Hard to believe this area was settled so early. We haven't been to nearby Squam Lake in several years but recent newspaper write-up gave high marks to the science center and pontoon cruise of the lake. This is where On Golden Pond was filmed. You might also enjoy a cruise of Lake Winnipesaukee on the Mt Washington or a train ride. With so many miles already driven I think you would do well to stay in NH or make an easy drive (about 1 1/2 hours from Concord NH) to the Billings Farm Museum and Woodstock VT. But also in the Concord NH area is Canterbury Shaker Village (very beautiful and great tour), the Indian Museum in Warner. On the Seacoast is Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth NH (hour east of Concord). One of the last of the season agricultural fairs is in Center Sandwich NH over Columbus Day weekend so beware of traffic in that area. Horse and ox pulling are popular in New England so a trip to the fair might be of interest. Also in Portsmouth NH is the Albacore sub to visit - but not if claustrophobic. While Boston offers incredible history, I think the foliage will be better further north. I also recommend a foliage cruise out of Portsmouth NH. The inland rivers trip gives some great historical background for the area esp if you go into Great Bay.