Notices

Boston Late-May/ B&B help etc.

Old Nov 12th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston Late-May/ B&B help etc.

I just decided to cut my 2 week Toronto trip in half and spend a week in Boston. This means I will be in Boston May 24-31. (Fodors DID say late Spring was a good time - is this correct?) Anyway, I will be solo (and if this matters, I am a female -early 30's) I am looking for an inexpensive B&B with a decent breakfast (Can you believe that one "B&B" was $95 ... and get this, they say BREAKFAST -one of the B's in B&B!- was NOT offered :-S )

I have looked at some of the other threads on here for attractions etc., but if you have advice, I'll take it.

THANKS!
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 01:17 PM

The end of May can be a problem in the Boston area as many colleges have graduation or families are in town helping the kids move out of the dorms. Baseball also fills hotel rooms.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

I don't want a hotel Do you think B&Bs will be all filled too? I was planning on reserving now.

Other than it being a little crowded, is there a real downside to my dates? (i.e. bad weather, not enough attractions open etc.)
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 02:51 PM

If you can find a room in Boston in the last week of May (over Memorial Day weekend, no less!) for $95, you should grab it.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 02:52 PM

The wewather will be wonderful and all hte attractions will be open. That's nl part of your problem -- as kybourbon pointed out, it's a very busy time in the city. Boston has very few B&B's, as real estate is so expensive that they're just not financially practical.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 03:00 PM

Boston's an expensive town as far as hotels/B&Bs go. I'd look at the Newbury Guest House, which is closer to a hotel than a B&B, but they do include breakfast. Rooms start at around $125, FYI. And that's about as cheap as I'll go in Boston any more. I've done a cheaper B&B around the corner from Berklee College, but the rooms are TINY (and pretty Spartan) and you'll share a bathroom. NGH if you can afford it-- your best bet!!
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

I forgot about Memorial Day! I don't celebrate holidays...so I am always forgetting things like that.

Anyway, would May 9-15 be better?

Also, does anyone know anything about Casa Do Zequita? Only $85 (WITH TAX) plus "an expanded continental" I don't need anything real fancy, just comfortable.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 05:47 PM

http://www.bbonline.com/ma/cambridge.html
hope this helps
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 06:19 PM

ttt
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

OH MY! I just saw the most GORGEOUS B&B in Cambridge! Does anyone know anything about "A B&B In Cambridge"? - It looks incredible!

THANKS cigalechanta (and everyone else)
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

ttt (if that is ok...I REALLY need help!)
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 07:59 AM

There are several B&B's in Cambridge and I think you will find some reviews of Fodor's if you do a search for the names. These B&B's are always listed by the colleges in the area and are also listed on Expedia if you want to check prices for your dates. Ealy May will be a better time - less crowded unless there is a ballgame.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's help!

The picture of breakfast at Casa Do Zequita looks really gross to me. I don't know why I didn't see it before -I went to the website cigalechanta gave me and there was a big ugly picture of their breakfast table... nope. I won't stay there

I decided I HAVE TO be in Boston May 24-31 because of seasonal activities (i.e. Whale Watching) So, I will just have to deal with the crowds...

I did just make a reservation at Morrison House B&B in Cambridge (ONLY $90/night private bath homemade breakfast!!) I am so happy. The place looks really great-just my style!
http://www.morrisonhousebnb.com/

So now that I got that out of the way, if anyone has any other pearls of wisdom to give me, I would love to hear it.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Cassandra

Where is Morrison House? (Do you know Cambridge/Boston areas?).

We stayed at A Cambridge House for DS's graduation a few years back -- very lovely and self-consciously quaint, and certainly overpriced. I prefer the less expensive but hospitable Irving House on Irving St., both for location and for atmosphere. It books up, but the single-shared bath's are comparatively inexpensive.

Old Nov 13th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Hi Cassandra,
What is a DS? (curious) Morrison House is in Somerville ("Just a couple minutes' walk from the Davis Square subway station, the Morrison House B&B is conveniently located near Tufts, Harvard, and downtown Boston.")

I have heard a lot of good things about Cambridge House, but that is MUCH MORE than I can afford) The place I was thinking of staying at was called "A B&B In Cambridge". (How much you want to bet people get those 2 confused! )

Anyway, I am very happy with my final choice! (The place even comes with a cat you can adopt for the duration of your stay What more can you want?!)So now even though I will be going during a very busy time, at least I know I have a place to stay.

Planning trips is just about the most fun anyone can have! (IMO) I am leaving for a cruise on Dec. 5, so even though I am excited, it isn't the same feeling as when I was planning ... now I can concentrate on my upcoming Toronto/Boston trip!! This is great
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone on here stayed at the Morrison House?