Search

Boston in one day

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 12:30 PM
mrt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston in one day

My family will be in Concord(e) for a 3 day weekend in Sept. for a family affair. We will have all day Friday until early evening to do a whirlwind tour of Boston. Not much time but at least we can say we have been to Boston. Please provide the best sights and activities that I should consider. I have seen references to Fanuel Hall, the Duck Tour, the historic walking tour, and multiple lunch spots for lobster, but I don't know much about any of these suggestions... Your help is appreciated. Also, can we and should we take the train into Boston from Concord instead of driving?
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 01:14 PM

I would definately recommend taking the train rather than driving, save time on parking etc.

We only had a day there too. I expected the freedrom trail to be easier than we found it to be. We thought we knew where started and it wasn't right so we were going into places that weren't labeled very well, thinking we were going to see things we didn't We did finally get squared away though (people weren't quite as helpful as I might have wished but that will get me in trouble so I'll say it softly). We REALLY enjoyed the old ship. It is great and well worth the bus or walk over there.

Do a little more research on the freedom trail and you'll probably have more luck than we did (I just knew it was a painted yellow line - that should be easy right?!)
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 01:44 PM

Take the Commuter rail from Concord into Boston, where you'll get off at North Station. Then take the Green Line of the subway to Park Street. Above ground, you'll find the Tourist Information Center (walk just a little way down Tremont Street), where you can get brochures etc. about the Freedom Trail. If you time it right, you'll do the Faneuil Hall/Quincy Marketplace section at lunch time!

Sarah, if you were trying to follow a yellow line, you might have been walking down the middle of the street, but you weren't following the Freedom Trail -- its line is red.

The Duck Tour is great, but tickets sell out early; perhaps you can get them on line.

By the way, the town of Concord is pronounced like "conquered," not like the Concorde airplane.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Cassandra

Absolutely take the train. Here's what I'd recommend: get to the Prudential area from the train station (cab won't be much and it might take you a little to figure out the T for this hop) to get on a morning Duck Tour (I think it's only about 2 hrs. or so, maybe 3). The Duck Tour is fun and will take you up around Beacon Hill, which you have to see. After the Duck Tour, you could go up to the top of the bldg. for the view (if you wish -- if weather isn't good, it's not worth it) and then get lunch either at the Legal Sea Foods in the Prudential shopping area or go to the GREAT seafood restaurant immediately across Boylston street from where the Duck Tours leave (can't remember the name, help ParrotMom?).

If you are good walkers, then walk up Newberry St. (one block north of Boylston) or Commonwealth Ave. (two blocks up) toward the Public Garden/Boston Common area and see the Make Way for Duckling sculpture, the bridge over the Swan Boat Pond, etc. If you are REALLY good walkers and have a map, cross over to Charles St. and walk around Beacon Hill (if you liked what you saw on the Duck Tour -- look for Joy St. and Louisberg Sq.), finishing up at the Charles St. "T", where you can hop over to Harvard Sq.

You didn't say whether you'll have supper in town, but there are LOTS of places in Harvard Sq., and it's fun to poke around there. When you are ready to head back to Concord, I believe you don't have to go back into town but can, instead, take the T one or two stops up to Porter Sq. and just go up the stairs and over to the stairs down to the commuter tracks to catch the train there. If I'm wrong about the Concord trains stopping at Porter Sq., somebody please correct me, but I seem to remember doing that.

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 01:51 PM

Here's another recommendation for taking the train into Boston. See www.mbta.com

If you're thinking of taking a Duck Tour, best bet is to get tickets ahead of time via their website. At the ticket booth, lines are always long and tickets sell out early in the day.

For the Freedom Trail, see www.thefreedomtrail.org for a map and detailed description of all the sights along the way.

I guess I'll say this "softly" - the Freedom Trail is a red brick or red painted line (not yellow).
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 09:05 AM

DON'T drive into Boston - as others have said, the train is the way to go. You can get the schedule at www.mbta.com; click on the Fitchburg line for the train to/from Concord. It's a pleasant 45 minute ride into North Station. That said, one other option is to drive toward Cambridge on Route 2, park at the MBTA Alewife parking garage (20-30 minutes from Concord, depending on traffic, and easy to get to), and take the red line subway into town. Parking is $4.50 per day. The advantage of this is that you are not tied to the fairly infrequent train schedule; however, on a weekday, you need to arrive before 9:00 AM as the garage fills up with commuters, and spaces don't start opening up until a few hours later. It depends on whether you find the train schedule convenient, or you don't want the hassle of rushing to catch the train back, or have to wait another hour (or more, depending on what time you return) if you miss it.

I have heard great things about the Duck Tours; I keep hoping for out-of-town company so I'll have an excuse to go on one! According to their web site (bostonducktours.com) they last 80 minutes. They have a limited amount of tickets to sell on-line, starting at 8:45 AM five days before each date (with a service charge, I don't know how much) -You might avail yourself of that to avoid standing in a long line. If you take the train in, catch the green line subway (inbound) at North Station across the street from the train station and go to Copley Station (that's six stops, I believe), then walk west for 2 -3 blacks down Boylston St. to the Prudential Center where the tours start. If you take the Red Line subway in from Alewife, travel to Park Street Station (seven stops), where you'll change to the Green Line and go on to Copley (three stops).

I suggest that you start with the Duck Tour; afterwards, walk one block north to Newbury Street, walk east for for 2-3 blocks past some pretty upscale shopping and nice restaurants, then cut over one more block north to Commonwealth Ave., and continue east for a couple of more blocks to see the beautiful brick townhouses, there's a park that runs down the middle of the Avenue, quite lovely. This will bring you to the Public Garden; walk across the Garden, crossing the pond with the swan boats; you can take a swan boat ride if you have the inclination and the time. If you have great memories of Robert McClosky?s classic children?s book ?Make Way for Ducklings? you might want to walk to the northeast corner of the Garden to see the bronze sculptures of Mama Duck and her ducklings.

Then you have options: if you?d like to explore Beacon Hill a bit, walk north down Charles Street for a couple of blocks, turn east to go to Louisburg Square, a beautiful and historic square (a map will help, I don?t know this area well) ? John Kerry lives on Louisburg Square, if that?s of any interest ? then head back over to Beacon Street, past the gold-domed state house and the Shaw Civil War Memorial (of the movie ?Glory? fame). If you want to stop at the nearby Visitor?s Center Booth, where the Freedom Trail starts, take a right on Park Street and walk a block, then take a right on Tremont St. ? the booth is halfway down the block on the Common. If not, continue on to Tremont Street and take a left. Or you could skip Beacon Hill and just walk straight across the Boston Common, past the Frog Pond, and wind up at Tremont Street.

From there it?s just a few blocks to Fanueil hall and Quincy Market. I know, I know, some consider it a tourist trap, but I always enjoy going there anyway, and it?s fun. If you haven?t eaten yet, this might be a good place for lunch ? lots of food stalls, also good restaurants ? but I?ll get to alternative eating possibilities later. Following the Freedom Trail will take you there.

After you?re done exploring here, I suggest you head a couple of blocks east to the waterfront. Stroll along Christopher Columbus Park, then catch the water taxi from Long Wharf to the Charlestown Navy Yard (a 10-minute ride, $1.25 each way, leaves approx. every half hour) to go see the U.S.S. Constitution (Old Ironsides). You get a wonderful view of the Boston waterfront and skyline from the harbor, and the ship is fascinating, and one of my favorite things in Boston.

Tour the ship, tour the U.S.S. Cassin Young (a WW II battleship) if you like, and explore the Constitution Museum, all very interesting, and all free. Ok, I just looked at the Constitution website ? the last tour starts at 3:30 PM and the ship closes at 4:00, although the museum is open until 6:00. There is rigorous security screening since 9/11, so allow time for that, and no stuff allowed that you can't take on airplanes ? pocket knives, leathermen, etc- something to be aware of. If you want to do this, and think, given the previous itinerary, you couldn?t get there in time, maybe you could reverse my suggestions, start here (museum and tours start at 9:00 AM) and do the duck tour later in the day. Or you could take the duck tour, then catch the subway at Copley to near Long Wharf - not sure of the nearest stop ? maybe Haymarket? Do the Constitution, take the watertaxi back, then backtrack ? the T isn?t all that expensive (unless you have a large party).

Near Long wharf is the North End, with the Old North Church and the Paul Revere House. Both are very interesting and worthwhile. Do you need to be back in Concord by dinnertime, or can you eat in the city? Here are some dining options, depending on what order you do things in,, and where you are when you get hungry (I admit that I am not a dining expert!). I?ve heard that Pho Pasteur (sp?), a Vietnamese restaurant on Newbury St. is supposed to be wonderful. Marche and the Cheesecake Factory, in the Prudential Center, are both quite good, if you want to eat about the time you?re done with your duck tour (there?s also a food court at the Prudential Center).
There are lots of good options at Quincy Market, and if you walk around the North End, you?ll find many wonderful places to eat.

This is a fair amount of walking ? I think that it?s about two miles from the Prudential Center to Long Wharf, but you?ll see a lot ? and you can get on the subway at several places along this route if this is too much walking for you.

Boston is a wonderful city, you should have a great time. Concord is beautiful, too, and you should enjoy that as well - make sure that you pay a visit to the Old North Bridge.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 09:12 AM

Oh, that's pretty weird - I wrote the last reply in Microsoft Word, then copied and pasted it into the Fodor's reply box - and it replaced a lot of my apostrophes and parentheses with question marks (but not all of them)! Sorry that it came out so strange!
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 09:46 AM

I think you've got lots of good advice already. I wholehearted second (or third, fourth, or fifth) the recommendation about not driving into Boston. Parking at Alwife is a good idea and will allow you greater flexibility.

As for what to do, the major sites mentioned so far can be grouped as follows:

Duck Boat tour
Cambridge/Harvard
Beacon Hill
Newbury/Back Bay
Boston Common
Freedom Trail (includes North End)

I think doing all of them in one day is tough--lots of walking. It really depends on how interested you are in colonial history. Here's what I would recommend: Start with an early Duck Boat tour, walk down Newbury and Commonwealth, walk around Beacon Hill, have lunch in Beacon Hill, walk across the Common, and then hop on the subway at Park St. (on the Common) and head over to Harvard Sq., walk/shop around Harvard, have dinner in/around Harvard Square. Alternatively, you could substitute the Freedom Trail for Harvard and end with dinner in the North End. Both options are great but I think it would be too much to do both in one day. Have fun!
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 11:27 AM

A Boston Harbor Tour is the best. Go out and explore Georges Island or one of the others or just enjoy the ride.
www.bostonharborcruises.com
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 10:16 AM
mrt
Original Poster

I thank everyone who has contributed. My feet hurt already.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 11:11 AM

Another big recommendation for the Duck Tour...check out the areas it covers..and then after the tour you can go back.. we went for the first time last year and I don't know why as a Bostonian we waited so long. Also around the corner from the Trinity Church on Berkley Street is Skip Jacks for seafood..reasonable prices..and good
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 12:04 PM

I disagree about taking the train. I would drive into Boston for the flexibility. If you drive from Concord, just take Rte. 2 East all the way, follow the signs to Memorial Drive, cross one bridge and you are at the prudential center which has a huge garage (or take Rte 128 south to Mass Pike East and get off at Prudential Center exit). If you buy anything at the Prudential Center or eat in Legal you can get your ticket validated and discount the parking. Driving in boston is hard but you can literally get off the highway and drive 1/2 block into the mall parking lot. If you don't drive during rush hour you will be in boston (in the parking lot) in 1/2 hour. North station isn't very convenient and by the time you pay for your whole family on the train it will cost the same as parking for the day (about $20). I'd leave the car in the garage all day.
Sounds like you have a lot of advice about where to go.