Boston in a day and a half

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Boston pre cruise for a day and a half the end of Sept. We will be staying at the Westin Boston Waterfront. Can you recomend highlights in Boston for us. We are traveling with friends and we are all mid fifties. We have never really been to the east coast and are excited to see some of our nation's history but know that some in the group might get bored if it is the only focus. What about tours? I saw something about a trolley that you could hop on and off. Is their more than one trolley company? What about the duck tour? Fenway park tour or try to get tickets? So much to do and so little time!!

Old Aug 27th, 2008, 06:36 AM

Fenway tickets are tough to come by and will be expensive. If its a must-do, use either Stubhub or Ace Tickets. Watch out for the prices and views as some are obstructed. At least try for a Fenway tour.

I would also look at doing some of the Freedom Trail. I do enjoy duck tours but have not done the Boston one.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 07:01 AM

Keep your eyes open on Fenway tickets. You said end of September, if the Sox clinch a playoff spot and the games are meaningless, scalpers will have big bargains. In lieu of a game, the park tour is really a lot of fun.

The hop on-hop off trolley tour would be a good way to see highlights. I like the duck tour, the one we went on was fun, but they are really geared towards families, a bit. I think they are best if you have kids aged 8-13 or so.

And if its a nice day you should definitely consider walking the freedom trail. You get to see some of the best historical sights, and a nice part of downtown.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 07:56 AM

Your in a good location to walk around the Quincy Market/Fanueil Hall area where history and today are mixed. If it's a Fri or Sat, the push cart vendors will be out around Quincy Market. They've been doing this for generations. Good place to pick up some fruit for snacks. Browse the Italian North End or splurge on a culinary tour. Although it will take up part of a day, it's a great introduction (and tasty) to that Boston neighborhood. It's right across from the market area. The Duck Tour is hokey but fun. If you and your friends enjoy Chinese food, a dinner or lunch in Chinatown would be fun, too, or just a walk thru with quick stop for snacks/pastries. Definitely take a stroll around Beacon Hill and or Newbury Street.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 08:09 AM
yk

Bring comfortable shoes as you'll be doing a lot of walking!

Walk part of the Freedom Trail; and if part of your group is tired of it, they can always take the T to Newbury Street or Copley to do some shopping.

Or if anyone in your group is interested in colleges, a 1/2 day trip to Harvard Sq will be good too.

There are many great museums in Boston also - depending your interest.

The Westin is within walking distance to the ICA (Institute of Contemporary Art). It's a nice building and has a great view from the 5th floor gallery (floor to ceiling windows). The ICA has free admission on Thursday evenings - if you happen to visit on that day.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 09:14 AM

The Freedom Trail is perfect - whether you choose to walk or hop on/off trolley - it is history, but doesn't hae to be ALL history -

when you walk it on your own - self guided tour - you can stop and do other things along the way or not, you can spend five minutes or thirty minutes at specific stops, depending on the interest (you can take time out and shop the stores along Charles St or wherever you pass...)

Best to familiarize yourself online with their site, adn that might give you all an idea of what you would and wouldn't like to see

Some like to start "backwards" at the Bunker HIll/Constitution end - others like to split it into two days -some like to do 1/2 and plan it so they end up in the North End for dinner - save the other 1/2 for the next day - looking at the map you can download online will help you immensely - you will be able to see exactly where you walk and pass on the trail and where you do not

Or, do Freedom Trail in one day and the other 1/2 day do the Copley Square area - Boston Public LIbrary - see the Sargent Murals, see Trinity Church, Newbury Street and Boston Public Garden

www.thefreedomtrail.org

I would eat dinner in the North End - while there are wonderful restaurants all over the city - they are 'city' restaurants and similar to restaurants in many other cities - but the North end is special, different pocket of Boston and worth eating dinner in, strolling after, stopping for coffee/pastry at either Mike's or Modern Pastry or Maria's - many to choose from and everyone has an opinion as to which is the best - walk by them all and choose for yourself !!

Don't know how long your 1/2 day is -
maybe you will do part of the Freedom Trail that day - don't know if you have time to do a museum - is it the beginning of a day or the latter half?

Most unique museums is Isabella Steward Gardner -
the MFA, while fabulous, is more 'standard' and the ICA is modern and close by so that may work best for you if you like what they have -
again I'd google them and see what jumps out at you

Or, on the half day, - stroll the South End, do the Skywalk Observatory, enjoy the waterfront or save the Beacon Hill/Charles St section for the 1/2 day and continue over the bridge to the Charles River

depending on when that 1/2 day is, I would be reluctant to have you wander too far, if the T is running late or there is a problem, wouldn't want you to miss your boat !!

Old Aug 27th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Great information! Thank you so much. As for our dates - we will be flying in on a thursday and arrive around noon. We than have the rest of Thursday and all day Friday as our ship leaves Saturday afternoon. One more thing - we will not have a car. Are the trolleys close to our hotel within walking distance? Thanks again for the wonderful information.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 11:30 AM
yk

You do not want a car in Boston, and you do not need one anyway. Study the mbta website.
www.mbta.com

The Westin is next to the World Trade Center T stop.

Or if it's a nice day, it's a nice stroll into South Station/Financial District.

Old Aug 27th, 2008, 11:36 AM
lvk

Here are the links for the trolley companies, which give you the pickup locations:

www.beantowntrolley.com/tours/beantown.html

www.trolleytours.com/boston/
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 11:39 AM
yk

BTW, here's my suggestion:

ARrive Thurs at noon, check in
Head to North End for late lunch, Check out Fanueil Hall, walk part of Freedom Trail

Visit the ICA after 5pm (free after 5pm) for the galleries and great sunset view of the Boston Harbor.
http://www.icaboston.org/visit/

Dinner next door at EAstern Pier II - good Chinese food.

Friday - spend morning around Boston Common, Beacon Hill, Charles Street, Freedom Trail

Afternoon open - can either go to Back Bay/Copley; or visit a museum; or to Harvard Sq.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 12:50 PM

Maggie: more definitive schedule suggestions for me would depend on where you are flying in from -
(jet lag, tired, delays, etc) -

and if noon is when you are slated to land at Logan -
meaning you likely won't be at your hotel, checked in and ready to hit the streets until say 2pm ...and might prefer a light bite at the hotel and then head out -
even if you take a cab or the water taxi, landing, getting luggage, getting to hotel, checking in, it takes a bit of time and why feel rushed -

and will you be ready to hit the streets and prefer to get to bed on the earlier side this night?

so depending on the above info, might mean what I might steer you towards for the first late afternoon/evening -

All day Friday and Friday night - are you the type of travelers to leave hotel and never go back until after dinner or would you prefer a full day, a respite at hotel and change and out to dinner and perhaps someplace that also offers music or some of the great old time bars for a nightcap and some light music?

Saturday, I would still be careful if your ship leaves in the afternoon - what time? noon? 2? 4?
that would help, then you could factor in when you'd check out, have hotel hold bags, which you'd have to retrieve and get to ship on time, etc......

if you want to give those type of schedule details, I think that would help
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 01:02 PM
yk

BTW, the most efficient and cost-effective way to get from Logan Airport to Westin is to take the Silver Line (part of the T of mbta.com). There is a stop at every terminal at the airport, and you get off at the World Trade Center Stop. The ride is $2 per person and should take 10-15 minutes (depending on which terminal you arrive at).
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Just reviewed our flight plans (I had forgotten that AA changed our flights )and our flight from Dallas does not land until 2:30. Looks like our day and a half is more like a day and an evening. To answer your questions I would say that we are looking for a FULL day seeing all that we can with dinner somewhere fabulous that we don't have to go back to the hotel to change for. I don't think any of us will want to come back to the hotel until we have to. We are a pretty energetic bunch and can catch up on rest while out to sea!! We do have huge sports fans amongst us so if Redsox tickets are impossible we must at least tour Fenway. We also have a musician with us so the old time bar with music would fit the bill!
Thanks so much for all the help!!
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 03:47 PM

If you are arriving before Sept 21, I'd definitely recommend the swan boats in the Public Garden. It's a uniquely Boston experience (operated by the same family since the 1870s), and it's only $2.50 a person! Best bargain in the city.

http://www.swanboats.com/
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 01:15 PM
jcn

Maggie,
My hubby and I will also be in Boston for the first time the last weekend of September. We were able to get tickets to the Red Sox/Yankees game Friday night on Ebay. Just thought you might want to check it out. They are expensive but we've always wanted to go to Fenway. Have a great trip!

Also, this board has given us some great trip ideas. Thanks!