Boston in October

Sep 23rd, 2005, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Boston in October

We are going to Boston for 5-6 days in late October. We plan to do The Freedom Trail, Duck Tour, and Fenway Park tour in Boston. We are going to Plymouth one day and Salem one day. What other things should we not miss?
Sep 23rd, 2005, 11:55 AM

The Red Sox winning the World Series!
Oct 5th, 2005, 07:49 PM

me and my family r also going to boston i can"t wait, you could drive to maine
I think its an hour drive , I have been to maine before and its very nice. Have fun on your trip.
Oct 6th, 2005, 03:19 AM

If you like Italian foor it's a must to eat at FAMIGLIA GIORGIOS on Newbury street 250 . Not expensive but the greatest italian food I've eaten. You'll need a good appetide.Paul
Oct 6th, 2005, 03:24 AM

All excellent choices! You've done a great job planning.

If you like things Italian, include a visit to the Northend. The Culinery Tour is wonderful, if you like cooking.

I'd also recommend the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum (partifularly for its cool atmosphere) if you like art museums.
Oct 6th, 2005, 04:45 AM
missj

Make time to visit the Peabody Essex museum in Salem if you like history and culture. If you like Indian food, Jewel in the Crown on Washington St. Try not to get too sucked in by the witch thing. Visit the historic houses-take the Wax Museum and other witch exhibits with a grain of salt. Stop at the visitor center for great advice, brochures, maps and guidebooks.

Oct 6th, 2005, 05:08 AM

For your 1 day in Salem, I advise you to take the train. Do not drive. The traffic in Salem is horrific in late October.

The trains leave from North Station. The Salem train station is just a few blocks from the center of town.
Oct 6th, 2005, 05:26 AM

As a native of Boston I must recommend eating in the North End if you enjoy great Itailan food. To be more percise
there is a great little resturant called IDA's at the beginning of Hanover Street on the left in a little alley way. It has fabulous food and great service. On another note if you are into theater and would like to see a great show visit the Emerson Myjestic - Cutler theater on Tremont Street. Performances are reasonable priced and they put on some great performances. You have some great choices already! and the Duck Tour is a lot of fun. Especially for Kids! Have a great time.

Camy
Oct 6th, 2005, 06:05 AM
mm

I believe that one of Boston's most wonderful assets is the Museum of Fine Arts. Year after year I love going there. After a few hours walk across the street to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum for a unique experience and a nice lunch.

mm
Oct 6th, 2005, 06:59 AM
JJ5

I think you can scratch the World Series off your list.
Oct 6th, 2005, 08:29 AM

JJ5 - You and I tend to agree on most things but here's our path fork. It aint' over till its over.

loves_to_travel - take some time to walk around the Beacon Hill area of Boston. Loads of quaint streets and nice shopping on Charles St. Take a stroll along the Charles River and watch the scullers in the river.
Oct 6th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Here is our itinerary:
We arrive Thursday afternoon. Eat at Legal Seafood.
Friday: Ducktour, Freedom Trail and Mystery Cafe for dinner.
Saturday: Plymouth to see Plimoth Plantation and Mayflower II
Sunday: Meeting family from New England and doing Witch Museum, House of Seven Gables, cruise on The Schooner "Fame" and eat at Victoria Station (this was my all time favorite restaurant, but closed in Atlanta area for 15 years).
Monday: Tour Fenway, lunch at Cheers and afternoon at Museum of Fine Arts. Dinner on Hanover Street.
Tuesday: Walk around Cambridge-maybe go to Peabody Museum. We leave about 7:00 p.m.
I was told to eat at Hanover Street, but I wasn't given any specific restaurant names. Thanks for the advice. We are taking the commuter rail to Salem, but having to take a bus to Plymouth. The schedule for coming back from Plymouth was very limited. Can someone tell me the best way to get from the airport. I am having trouble finding a shuttle service and I don't know about public transportation with suitcases. Another couple of restaurants that I have heard about is Barking Crab, No Name Fish and Skipjacks. What do you think of those or should we eat at Hanover Street twice?
Oct 6th, 2005, 09:23 AM
mm

The Barking Crab is a dump but it is popular with the yuppies working in the area.

I do not think that either SkipJack's or No Name can beat Legals but Legals is more expensive.

Dining on Hanover St (and the few side streets) is just about all Italian. Just walk around looking in windows and checking menus to find what you want.

Also check www.phantomgourmet.com for recommendations.

Can't help with the transportation questions.

mm
Oct 6th, 2005, 09:38 AM

IMHO, Legal, No-Name and Skipjack's are now trading on what had been great reastaurants, but are now just too touristy", and have lost their originality. Hammersly's Bistro, in the South End. has been and still is just wonderful. So is East Coast Grill, in Cambridge, and for a newer experience, Excelsior.
Oct 6th, 2005, 12:08 PM
cw

If you take a look at www.massport.com/logan and click on getting to and from the airport, you will find information on shuttles, which seem to run about $11-12.

You don't say where you are staying or how many prople are traveling, but the airport is close to downtown and Back Bay so taking a taxi is also an option.

The day you go to Fenway Park you'll actually be fairly close to the Museum. A nice walk if the weather is ok. You could eat lunch near the Park or at the Museum, and stop by Cheers for a drink later on.

CW
Oct 6th, 2005, 12:29 PM

Your choices of Witch Museum and House of 7 Gables for Sunday in Salem are excellent. If you have time, do the Peabody Essex Museum that day. I wouldn't return on your Cambridge day.

Lots of great restaurants in the NorthEnd/Hanover St. area. Pagliuca's, Artu, or Forno ? for casual. More upscale & excellent: Prego, Sage, Trattoria Scallintella.