Boston Hotel

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:19 PM
Pam

Boston Hotel

We will be in Boston for the marathon. Wondering if anyone knows about the Best Western Round House? How's the location/ neighborhood?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:25 PM
Ellen

Sorry, terrible location. Not handy to anything except the busiest hospital emergency room in Boston, the Route 3 highway access, and a very iffy housing project.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:36 PM
Donna

Why not stay right in Boston. Occupancy must be down this year as rates are the lowest I've seen them in a long, long time. Go to www.biddingfortravel.com, then try Priceline. Or, try Hotwire.com. Or, www.hoteldiscount.com. It's a bit late to be booking for Marathon weekend. But, if you shop like the dickens, you will be able to come up with something much better than the Best Western Roundhouse.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:46 PM
bm

The hotel looks nice, but I'm with the others. The location isn't the greatest. See if you can find something else.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:25 PM
xxxxxxx

lots of posters state they have been getting great prices for Back Bay hotels on Priceline. Give it a shot.
For comparable rate may want to check out Holiday Inn on Fruit St. Nothing fancy, but a clean room in a more convenient location

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 03:38 AM
gail

Occupancy is usually close to 100% on anything close to Boston that weekend (which is also start of school vacation week for many schools in Mass.). Rates are also increased that weekend. That may be how you ended up in Braintree, but it is worth a try to attempt to do better.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 03:44 AM
Ellen

Who said anything about Braintree??

I agree that Priceline might work, and that the Holiday Inn Gov't Center (Fruit Street/Cambridge St.) is handy.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 03:51 AM
gail

Sorry - I misread second post (can't find my computer glasses this AM). No one said anything about Braintree.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Ann

Pam, I just did a search on Orbitz out of curiosity to see what was available in Boston during the marathon. I got a real surprize, and you should check it out asap! Seems there's a new boutique hotel which I've never heard of or seen mentioned here, but it's on Boylston St. right across from the Boston Public Library and Copley Sq. where the marathon ends. It's called the Charlesmark Hotel, it has 33 rooms, the photos look great, and they have a special price of $115 for that weekend! I know the area, and the block, and it's probably in one of the old brownstone buildings (but looks like a total interior rehab). As I said, at least check it out. Can't beat that price in Boston for that location and that weekend.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Ellen

Yikes, I can't believe that the Charlesmark has rooms for Marathon weekend -- their front door is literally on the finish line! If you had a street-facing room you could get an aerial view of it! That location will be very disrupted, especially the day of the race, but it could also be exciting.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Pam

Thanks everyone! We're searching without much success! One place we came across was the Shawmut Inn on Friend St. Any clue on this one? Orbitz was down tonight so no luck on the Charlesmark. That would be awesome but I'm sure it's too good to be true! Another option was the Wyndham on Tremont...We'll keep looking! Bye

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 04:10 PM
mimi taylor

yes Ann, that new hotel is almost next to the church and across from the copley sq. subway enterence. Great location, can't believe the price you quoted.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 04:19 PM
Ellen

Friend St isn't a bad locatoin -- between the Fleet Center and Faneuil Hall/Quincy Marketplace - but Tremont St is better.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Ann

Well Pam, I just did a quick Orbitz search again on the Charlesmark and it was now full! I guess $115/night for that location really was too good to be true! I think the reason for the low rate is because it's a brand new hotel with only about 30 rooms, so they had a special. If the price holds for a while longer, it would be a fabulous location for a Boston visit. I hope you get a room soon, as Marathon weekend is as bad as graduation weekend here in Boston for accomodations.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Lynn

Pam, I know this is after the fact, but for future reference, the Shawmut Inn on Friend St. isn't bad at all. Husband and I just stayed there marathon weekend (he ran) and found it affordable ($139 per night for king, incl. continental bkfst) and convenient to EVERYTHING. It's right by the Fleet Center and North Station and just about everything is within walking distance or, if you prefer, a quick T ride. There are lots of Irish pubs and brewpubs in the area. The street doesn't look like much (not fancy like Copley Place, for example), but we had no problems. Actually, it reminded me of hotels I've patronized in Germany of 2 or 3-star caliber.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Pam

Just got back from Boston...Round House Suites weren't bad at all!! Nice rooms..and they had a free shuttle that took us downtown or pretty much anywhere we wanted to go! Neighborhood was not the best but we walked without any hassles! Would stay there again for the price!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Parrot Mom

The question is..how did everybody do in the Marathon?? We gave you a gorgeous day until the end...almost 17,000 people. Hope you all h ad a great race and enjoyed Boston.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:27 AM
Lynn

Hi Parrot Mom. My husband ran a good race, so we'll be back next year! We love Boston and can't wait to try out some more North End restaurants.