Tahoe: Restaurants, Hikes and Fun?

Apr 18th, 2002, 04:29 AM
Judy

Tahoe: Restaurants, Hikes and Fun?

Hello All, we are doing the great triangle(as I think of it) of Napa/Sonoma area, Lake Tahoe(Harveys), and Yosemite(Narrow Gauge Inn) for 2 weeks. I have my Wine country pretty well mapped out as far as restaurants, hikes and fun. My Yosemite itinerary set. My Tahoe section is pretty much up for grabs.
I have the books "What shall we do tomorrow at Lake Tahoe" and "the Insiders Guide to Tahoe and Reno" for reference.
I just wandered if anyone has any personal recs for restaurants, hikes and fun.
I checked through past Fodors posts, and I was wondering if there are any more recs out there?
Thanks, Judy

Apr 20th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Judy

Any recommendations?

Apr 20th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Dayle

Judy, a raft trip down the Truckee is a blast! Also, hiking down to Vikingsholm is really intresting. A boat trip into Emerald Bay is beautiful.

Apr 20th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Judy

Thanks Dayle, good info, I appreciate it....cause we are not big gamblers, but we love the outdoors and hiking.
I heard that Tahoe is one of the most beautiful lakes in the world.

Apr 20th, 2002, 02:46 PM
BillJ

Truckee River Raft trip is a real hoot. You gotta do it!

www.truckeeriverrafting.com

Apr 20th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Dayle

Hi again Judy!

One other suggestion. There is a Shakespearean theater group that performs outdoors during the summer. Performances used to be on the grounds of a mansion on the west side of the lake.

Anyone know if they still do this?

Seeing Midsummer Night's Dream performed amongst the huge trees was a delight!

Apr 20th, 2002, 04:16 PM
janis

The Shakespeare performances are at Sand Harbor on the northeast "corner" of the lake - just south of Incline Village. Even if you don't attend the plays, be sure to go to Sand Harbor. it is absolutely gorgeous with turquoise water, white sand beaches, amazing rock formations jutting out into the Lake.

Apr 20th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Patrick

Being the avid theatre goer that I am, my partner's brother and his wife (who live at Northstar -- at Lake Tahoe) took us to A Comedy of Errors last summer at Sand Harbor. They are not theatre goers and not particularly Shakespeare lovers, but they loved it as much as I did. You take low beach chairs and picnic -- lots of wine flows -- waiting for the play to start about sunset. The production was very good and fun -- and the picnic and outdoor setting make it a memorable evening.
Good but casual eating and the famous "wet woodies" at Garwoods on the West side of the Lake.
Several fun and good spots for dining in Truckee -- Candlewood (?) on the hill above the Truckee River is good, but looks like a dump from outside.
The restaurant at the Hyatt Resort (yea, I know)at Incline is amazingly good and has a spectacular room and setting.
Really fine dining at the north end of the lake at the Petite Pier (?).
Take the new tram up to the top at Heavenly and hike up there.

Apr 20th, 2002, 07:49 PM
BillJ

Second the Petite Pier for fine dining overlooking the lake. Also, right next door, is Captain Jons, with a wonderful outdoor deck eating area. Up near the Cal-Neva Lodge is the Tahoe Brewing Co, a great grill with a dynamite fudge brownie al a mode.

Apr 21st, 2002, 05:11 AM
Judy

Thanks All, I saved the Truckee river rafting site in my favorites, it looks like such fun! I told my husband if he didn't want to do it, I will go alone. I think the outdoor theater sounds wonderful! I can't wait!
I knew the Fodorites would come through! Thanks again!
Judy

Apr 21st, 2002, 07:08 AM
Clousie

Hi Judy,

We did a triangle very similar to your trip, except instead of staying in Napa, we went to Point Reyes area.

In Tahoe, we liked a trail that started from the Bay View Campground towards Velma Lakes through Desolation Wilderness. Sorry I don't have the exact name of the trail but sure you could get it from the National Forest Service or from hiking books of the area. It was quite barren over slabs of smooth rock, but had some wonderful views of the lake which many people don't see. We also did some trails along the lake, but found them to be quite crowded and rather confusing with all the side trails that people had created off the main trail. Did a lot of backtracking here as we ended at dead ends.

Don't know if you've planned any time at Lee Vining or Mammouth Lakes as you move from Tahoe to Yosemite. If that's your route, at least stop and look at the tufa formations on Mono Lake. If you have time to hike at Mammoth, let me know, and I'll make more suggestions.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:08 AM
Lenore

When we were there about 4 years ago we took the ski gondola up to the base of Heavenly mountian then hiked up to about 8750 ft. It was a fabulous hike. We also hiked around both Eagle Falls and Glen Alpine Falls. One day we took a saiboat tour of Emerald Bay. There are so many beautiful vistas in Tahoe and Yosemite....you'll love it! Enjoy!!!

Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:26 AM
ken

Unless you have kids the Truckee river rafting trip is very boring. Very slow water and not much excitement. A trip on the Tahoe Gal out on the Lake would be a better choice.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:36 AM
xx

It is not boring. It is a great way to spend a day. Take a cooler full of your favorite cold drink. Take in the beauty of the river and when you get to River Ranch wake up and pay attention! Get out and have lunch there on the outside deck so you can laugh at all the rafters who struggle down the rapids! It's a hoot!

Search this Thread