Boston for the first time/ solo

Old Oct 15th, 2019, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston for the first time/ solo

Hello all, Since I've begun traveling solo, I have taken 6 Road Scholar tours. Previously, all my travel was arranged by my husband and myself. I would like to visit Boston, but the one trip I viewed on their website has more walking and activities than I would enjoy in one day. I have always been a very slow traveler and one or two sites or museums, plus a nice meal out somewhere is my idea of a very nice day. I am looking for a slower mode of travel. I could book my own hotel and then plan day tours from the hotel. I suppose that might work, but a small tour group that concentrates on the Boston metroarea would be my ideal trip. I want to spend about a week and I do NOT want to change hotels for a short trip like this. Amy suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you. Annetti
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 02:45 AM

Boston is our easy choice for a long weekend getaway. We have liked the North End food tour (Michele Topor's) and most recently (2018) Bites of Boston South End. Both included a lot of historical information. Both are small groups. My husband and I did a day trip to take a Chinatown tour which we both enjoyed. These food tours generally include enough tastings to serve as your lunch and are usually from 2 - 3 hours long. Check each museum you would like to visit for guided tours and spotlight talks like at the Museum of Fine Arts https://www.mfa.org/programs/gallery.../gallery-talks
I'm afraid the several Freedom Trail school field trips we did when I was young were awful. But you will probably be able to find some docent led tours at different places. I have not been on any of these daily tours but would consider them https://www.thefreedomtrail.org/daily-tour-schedule

I think you should be able to fill your week with group activities without being on an organized tour.
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 03:41 AM

You can do this, either with day tours or on your own. I find Viator website usually has a good collection of day tours in various cities, especially if you want to venture outside main area of Boston. I second recommendation for food tours - and they are at a slow enough pace to be enjoyable. Uber works especially well in Boston if you want to pick a destination museum and go at your own pace. In general best time to visit museums without crowds is early afternoon after school groups have departed. So I would suggest a few museums, food tour, and perhaps a day or 2 on a day trip organized tour. Just prepare for sticker shock with Boston hotels - really outrageous prices but especially traveling alone I would recommend staying in downtown Boston rather than outskirts. Beware of hotels that say they are 5-10 miles out and call themselves things like Boston/Waltham. It can take quite a while to go that short distance.
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 04:55 AM

I second the warning in the last post about the cost of Boston hotels. They are really expensive even compared to other cities in the northeast.
I am not familiar with any of the multi-day tours so can't recommend specific ones to take.
You can get to Harvard Square in Cambridge easily on the Red Line T (subway) and there are a number of tour options there. The National Park service offers a number of ranger tours, some year round, some only in the summer/early fall.
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 06:31 AM

Boston is wonderful. My visit there concentrated on the art of John Singer Sargent. Some mini get togethers with Fodor's friends was great fun and expanded my visits:

Boston--Another Art Mission

Have a super time and please report back.
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 08:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If it were me, I'd just do it on my own. Figure out a hotel in a good walkable neighborhood. You can add some day tours if you like, or as mentioned cooking class, walking tour, get-togethers. If the hotel prices are as high as others mention, perhaps shorten the trip to 5 days instead of a week. That gives you the freedom to go at your own pace and simply poke around and explore.
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 11:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We just returned from nine nights in Boston and were not ready to leave yet. We are also slow travelers in the one or two sites a day strategy that you describe.

We got a weekly CharlieCard for $22.50 that allows unlimited travel on the Boston T, worked out great. We also used Uber for day trips, or even getting to Harvard, though the T goes there as well. We stayed at a Residence Inn Marriott just across the bridge in Charlestown near the USS Constitution. It's a 10-15 minute pleasant walk to North Station where you get the trains. But for a hotel stay it was a cheaper than staying in downtown Boston proper. They had a discount for a 7+ night stay.

We did not even come close to seeing everything we wanted. Basically I agree with the above: just go on your own and let the weather and your mood decide the day's activities. Have fun.