Reload this Page >

First time to Kauai - First thing on First day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 07:06 PM
bk

after spending umpteen hours on the plane, getting the rental car and checking in to the Islander or Kapaa Sands or _____ (recommendations still being taken <g>)

What do you do/Where do you go to relax, soak it all in and remind yourself that all the traveling hassles were worth it to be exactly where you are________ doing_______?

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Brenda

First you go to the liquor store and get your favorite cocktails ingredients and quickly return to make your favorite drink. Then get in your swimsuit and go to the hottub and bring your drink. Soak up the hot tub benefits and after that long flight, it will seem like heaven. Enjoy your cocktail and then shower and go out for a nice relaxing dinner someplace. You will feel rested and relaxed and get the best nights sleep ever. This is my trade mark for a first day's wind down.....Love that Kauai!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 07:44 PM
p.

Think Brenda's got it about right ! We'll be at Islander in less than a month, wander up & down beach & property that first evening, and then check out Kal's pool bar ... may not get much further than that !
I'm ready.
p.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Been there

Order a room service pizza with Maui onions and portuguese sausage, go to sleep, and wake up at 4 in the morning ready to watch the sunrise on the beach.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:58 AM
kal

bk, I forgot the area where you live?

We have it pretty good on the Left Coast when it comes to going to Hawaii, especially since United started the direct SF to Lihue flight. Getting there in 5hrs is nice. I'm jealous of the East Coasters who can make it to the Caribbe in a few hours.

All of these are valid suggestions on trying to get into "island style" ASAP.
Just flying into Lihue lowers my BP around 20 points! Heck, just hearing the word "Lihue" does it sometimes!

If you do get a hotel on the CocoCoast, take the drive to the hotel nice and slow and just look around. Hopefully you can schmooze a "convertible special" out of your rental agency?

Stop by The Whaler Genl Store or Safeway if you have the time and grab a few of the free mags, especially the "101 Things To Do On Kauai" mag and a 6er of Kona Brew Co Fire Rock Pale Ale.
Then grab a lounge chair and take it on the beach and lay out for a few hours (Either well covered or wearing a SPF30+ at a minimum the first days!) to plan your attack.

pspercy, It's not "my bar".....yet!
But, it is my favorite little 18x12 piece of property on the island!
I wonder if they would sell it so I could be an independent contractor?
"One for you-2 for me"....Nawwww. Never work! ;-D

been there, no room service at any of the CocoCoast hotels/condos that I know of but the pizza place in the Coconut Marketplace (Aloha Pizza?) makes a pie that is almost as good as a Brickoven Pizza.
Pizza Hut delivers but...it's still Pizza Hut!

144 mo' days.
Mahalo,
Kal

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Suzie

I think getting that drink in hand asap is of utmost importance. Apparently so did our condo rental company. When we stopped to pick up the key I returned to our convertible with two to-go cups of mai tais and the keys stuck in my teeth (priorities). Our convertible had cup holders so no spills on our short trip to our condo. Drank in our Mai Tais as we drank in the fab view from our huge lanai!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Gary

Here's what I'd recommend you do while you're there.

Waimea Canyon is nice if you're not nervous about driving up a mountain. There are very pleasing views to see there.

In the town of Kalaheo, go to Pomodoro's Italian Restaurant. It's a hidden gem. Arrive early because there's a waiting list if you are late.

Take the drive to the north shore along Highway 56. It's very secluded and scenic -- this is why they call it the Garden Isle. Traffic through Kapaa held us up about 5 minutes. The north shore has many beautiful beaches.

Kilauea Lighthouse is a nice inexpensive visit. As you go to the north shore, it's a short drive toward the coast off the main road.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 10:11 AM
bk

Hey Kal-

Even tho I hail from NYC, I'm actually flying from Santa Barbara (6 AM) thru LAX thru HNL and switching to Aloha Air to LIH. Couldn't work it out any other way w/the dates/times and FF miles. Reading that makes me want to go get a nice cool one right now.

I'm definately getting a convertible, but am loathe to do the schmooze thing 'cause I really don't wanna get stuck w/o one. Does that really work for you, with which co? I haven't done that in so long. In recent trips to FL the price for a conv. really wasn't that much higher than a compact. I think that may have changed-be different in HI.

PS Does the Islander have beach chairs? I left my Swivel Beach Chair (the best invention ever!) in FL.

75 days......

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Sarah

Hi Bk I don't know how exhausted you are going to be but for me I would haul on up to either Princeville (30 minutes of coastal driving or 45 Hanalei (from Kapaa) and catch that sunset. I have done this on minimal sleep also coming from the east coast. COMPLETELY feels like you just pulled up to Shangrila!!!

If you are completely whacked from exhaustion listen to Kal take in the beautiful East Coast drive. I always like to yell HELLO! out the car window. ...never with in ear shot of human being of course.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Mary

There is a cute place to eat a leisurely dinner near the Islander, a good spot for a solo traveler. Try Caffee Coco in the evening (Friday or Saturday for music with dinner.) It's charming and funky. (Be sure to put on some mosquito repellant, they have a bottle there.)

It's hard to see from the road. Look for Kintaro Restaurant (another great spot) near the Shell station at the traffic signal on Kuhio Hwy and Haleilio). Caffe Coco is across from Kintaro at the rear of a parking lot.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:54 PM
max

The first chance you get, take a helicopter tour. The views of the canyon, cliffs, etc. are breath-taking.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Karen

I would get all the fixings for that drink, a bucket of ice and then leave it in the room and go for a quick dip in the ocean. There is no better way to shake off the plane/car rental drama than that cool, refreshing, healing water. Then come back, wet, cool and salty and have that well deserved drink. It is the best way to make the transition. I have been to the island 10+ times and this is a ritual for me.

Have fun!