Boston cape cod Maine

Old Jun 19th, 2024, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston cape cod Maine

Hello, our family will be landing in Boston on the 5th and then flying out on the 10th. We are deciding between the two options.
option one is Boston Cape Cod and Rhode Island or option two is Boston, Cape Cod, New Hampshire, and Maine.
Any suggestions on which would be the best option?
We are nature lovers, and enjoy hiking in the outdoors.
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 04:59 PM

You will only have four non-travel days. Boston deserves one full day, no less, hopefully 1/2 add'l day. Depending on exactly when you're travelling, there is one main road out to tip of the Cape and it will be VERY busy in summer at any time. What are your interests there? There is no surf in the bay, and the Atlantic (halfway out) has way too many sharks these days to encourage bathing. Think I'd skip it entirely and shoot for Maine and perhaps if you allow two full days for it, see Acadia Nat'l Park and Bar Harbor. Lovely towns en route are Camden and Rockport, but longer to drive if you take the shoreline route. I'd also say you can skip Boothbay Harbor -- changed greatly over last decades, losing much of its charm. Don't see how you could fit in RI, but guess I'd shoot for Newport if possible.
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 10:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
July 5th? At this point it may depend on just where you can still find lodging available.

Maybe Mt Major and the Wolfeboro, Alton Bay NH area for hiking? Then a couple of nights on Cape Cod and your final night to see Boston? I don't know how you'd also fit Maine or Rhode Island in, but as I said, if those are the only places with lodging still available that's where you might end up.
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 01:28 AM

I would aim for least hours on the road. For nature lovers and hikers I think NH would be best. Highly recommend Squam Lakes Science Center for native animals in natural habitat, interesting lectures and demos. Then take nature cruise on large pontoon boat to see loons and possibly eagles. You are also in the White Mountains area so your choice of trails and difficulty. We are just having a heat wave which is unusual for this time of year so pay attention to weather. The hike to Arethusa Falls is shaded. I retraced the trail while allowing teen boys to hike further for view. You could stay in Meredith on Lake Winnipesaukee for many restaurant choices. It's near I93 exit 23 so straight drive north from Boston. If you have time to fit in some kayaking Contoocook River kayak near Concord gives you choice of Contoocook River paddle to a small secluded beach on a quiet river or they will transport you to Merrimack River for longer paddle also quiet river but larger. You won,t see any buildings until you get near pickup area. Several choices of quiet beaches. I was fascinated by tall sandbank with nesting birds. Eagle sighting possible. Even the city of Concord has hiking trails. The Flume is a fun hike in a gorge with interesting visitors center but might be crowded. If you aren't on the interstate you have a good chance of seeing deer and wild turkeys.
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 05:25 AM

Hello,
We just returned from a short trip to the Cape (from Maine), travelling on weekdays. If you like biking, the rail trails are wonderful. Beaches are beautiful, HOWEVER...the traffic coming back is mind-boggling and it doesn't matter what day of the week, or time of day.
So....here's my recommendation, considering your short time.
Visit Boston...at least a day and half, as previously mentioned. Walk the freedom trail, take in the history, etc.
Drive to Maine. Short but sweet vacation would be to:
Drive to York, Maine (about 1 hour 15 min. from Boston). Hike Mt. Agamenticus (an hour up and down). Visit the beaches in York, Harbor Beach, Long Sands or Short Sands. Walk the fisherman's walk, along the York River. (about an hour RT)
Visit Ogunquit and the wonderful beach and Perkin's Cove. Walk the iconic Marginal Way. It's hell to park in the summer, so get there before 9:00AM.
Drive up a little further to Wells and hike the Laudholm Farm paths that go right to the beach. (This is really a walk, not a hike, like climbing a mountain)
Visit Kennebunkport, there is a nice ocean walk there, from downtown to Walker's Point (the Bush compound),
Mt. Battie in Camden is a wonderful hike, but it's a long drive from Boston. From southern Maine, it's about 2.5 hours. If you opted to do that, I'd spend my entire time there.
For hiking/walking alltrails.com might be helpful. There are conservation areas all over, so you might find hikes by checking those out.
Enjoy!

Old Jun 20th, 2024, 07:31 PM

You certainly captured southern Maine! Looking forward to Where you landed on the Cape.
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 01:28 PM

Alternately you can base yourself entirely in the Boston area, including Cape Ann. You can visit Salem, take a WhaleWatch out of Gloucester, enjoy the beach. The whole area is scenic. You could also head to Portsmouth NH where you cross the bridge into Maine. Portsmouth is charming with the entire historical area, Strawberry Bank. It is not too far a ride into Maine to get to York and Ogunquit from there. Hard to find accommodations this late in the game as the July 4th week is a very busy vacation week.
Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 02:59 PM

From Boston you can take a ferry to Provincetown, the very end of the Cape. There are nice beaches. (Race Point), great shopping, galleries and plenty of places to eat. Maybe spend a night or two there. No car needed.
Old Jun 26th, 2024, 05:00 PM

Boston I would book City View Trolley. Very good tour that covers historic sites.

(I second the suggestion taking the day cruise from Boston Harbor to Provincetown.)

Another suggestion is Martha’s Vineyard. Day trip to Martha Vineyard drive to Falmouth. I suggest booking a ferry that arrives in Oak Bluff and use public transportation to Edgartown. Long day but beautiful island.

if you decide on Maine my favorite is Ogunquit and Kennebunkport. Both beautiful and close.
Old Jun 28th, 2024, 08:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Boston, Cape Cod, New Hampshire, and Maine.

That is WAY too much for aonly 5 day trip! You could spend that much time on the Cape alone
Old Jun 28th, 2024, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Any Recs

Hi everyone, thanks for all the great feedback. So based on timing, I was thinking the below, Please let me know your thoughts/suggestions:

Day 1 land and stay in Boston, eat dinner
Day 2 Drive to Gloucester, Perkins Cove. Overnight in Perkins Cove.
Day 3 Kennebunk, Old Orchard Beach, Portland Overnight in Portland.
Day 4 Drive to North Conway, NH and white mountain national forest
Day 5 Drive to Concord, Mass
Day 6 Back to Boston and depart
Old Jun 28th, 2024, 10:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Day 2 Drive to Gloucester, Perkins Cove. Overnight in Perkins Cove.
Day 3 Kennebunk, Old Orchard Beach, Portland Overnight in Portland."

Stay in Kennebunk to visit Perkins Cove, Kennebunkport, Old Orchard and Portland. It's not worth changing hotels for a place that's a 25 min drive.
Avoid Old Orchard on July 6 & 7 as it will be a holiday weekend madhouse with no parking and long lines for food etc. I'm actually surprised that
you've found lodging allowing a Saturday evening check-in that weekend.
Old Jun 28th, 2024, 11:18 PM

Why Concord MA? I recommended Concord NH. Hope you did not confuse the two.
Old Jun 30th, 2024, 07:20 AM

labraham6,
I agree with what others have suggested, but I'd stay overnight in Kennebunkport, rather than Kennebunk, if you're sure that's where you want to stay.. It's much more scenic and charming, very heavily touristed, but also tiny.

But all your Maine destinations are not far from each other, so you could pick one and commute. Ogunquit (Perkins Cove) would be a better choice, IMHO. Fantastic beach, Summer theater at the Ogunquit Playhouse, etc. Beware parking fines! Very stiff in Ogunquit (Perkins's Cove)

Are you heading to Concord, MA for the history?