Boston- Back Bay or Downtown Crossing??

Jul 26th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Boston- Back Bay or Downtown Crossing??

I can't decide where to stay in Boston. I have heard good things about Back Bay and Downtown Crossing. I'm looking for a place close to restaurants/shopping/other things to do and see. Here are a few hotels I'm considering: Hyatt Regency Boston, Copley Square Hotel, or Hilton Boston Back Bay. Any advice would be very much appreciated!!
Jul 26th, 2011, 12:15 PM
yk

Copley Sq Hotel & Hilton Back Bay are fairly close to one another.

Hyatt Regency is in DT Crossing, steps from the theatre district and Chinatown. I'm not too crazy about the location of the Hyatt; the surroundings can get a bit quiet at night.

If you main goal is dining and shopping, then the Back Bay location would be better. the Copley Sq hotel was renovated a few years ago - I think it probably is nicer and has more character than your average Hilton.
Jul 26th, 2011, 12:26 PM

The advantage to the Hyatt Regency in Downtown Crossing is that it is walking distance to the main historic tourist areas - I've walked from there to Quincy Market and all over the North End without a problem. But the immediate surroundings are not great on charm, and it definitely gets a little quiet a night. Copley Square and Back Bay are both great locations, but "after dark" points probably go to Back Bay.
Jul 26th, 2011, 04:35 PM

Agree with the previous responses.

Nothing wrong with staying at the Hyatt, but the Back Bay is more tourist friendly, and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Also considered to be a very safe neighborhood.

Copley Square Hotel has the better Back Bay location when compared to the Hilton. But, beware of the small rooms at the CSH. Avoid the Boutique rooms that only have some 200 sq. feet. Hilton has nice rooms that were all renovated back in 2008. While it's location is not as good as the CSH, it's still a very good choice for a Boston visit.

Both hotels are very close to T stations for using the subway when you're feet need a break.
Jul 29th, 2011, 02:47 AM

Another vote for Back Bay for all the reasons stated.
Jul 29th, 2011, 11:30 AM

Location-wise you can't go wrong with either choice since it's very easy to walk almost anywhere from those 2 areas (and they are only a 10 minute walk, if even, from one another). But as others have stated, Downtown Crossing is dead quiet in the evening and while I've never felt "unsafe" after dark, it does require more caution than Back Bay, mainly because there are always lots of people around in Back Bay.