Boston area with 9 year old next Summer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2004, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking to travel to Boston next summer with our 9 year old son. Having never been there, we would like suggestions on best time to go in the summer (i.e. when he's out of school!), where to stay that's kid-friendly, same for eating at restaurants and then sites/activities that have been hits with other children. We are also interested in renting and then bike riding one day. Lastly, we have friends in Portland, Maine. How far in driving time is it from Boston? Lots of questions -- any suggestions???? Thanks!
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 06:41 PM

If your son is a baseball fan, try to get tickets to a Red Sox game. Tickets will go on sale in Feb for summer games. Some spring games may be on sale in Dec. Or try taking a tour of Fenway - its inexpensive and very worthwhile.

For a hotel, I would stay in the Back Bay. There is a Sheraton, Westin, Hilton and the Colonade - all have swimming pools - essential to most vacations involving 9 year olds. Sheraton is probably the most convenient - good location and proximity to lots of restaurants kids would enjoy. However, I have found their rooms vary widely. If you get a less than updated room ask to be moved, there are better rooms available.

Take a Duck Tour, check out the Science Museum, maybe a whale watch. You can bike along the Esplanade (the park along the Charles River). Not sure about rentals. There are often free concerts on the Esplanade throughout the summer. Pack a picnic and enjoy.

Boston to Portland is about 1.45-2hrs. Take Rt 1 to 95N through Mass, NH and then to ME.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 06:52 PM

When our children were younger, we stayed at the Marriott Long Wharf. They have an indoor pool which overlooks the harbor. You can take your son to the aquarium or head to Boston Commons and take a ride on the swan boats or walk along Freedom Trail. There's so much to do in Boston - have a great time!
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 07:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Columnade Hotel(sp)? also has a roof top pool and is across from Prudential center. The Bike ride along the Charles river, from the Science Museum to Harvard is a joy. Portland is about 100 miles from Boston, my husband says about 2 1/2 hour drive. Salem has the wonderful Peabody/Essex Museum that both children anmd adults like.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 07:10 PM

If at all possible, try to visit Plimoth Plantation. It's fantastic! My husband and kids (17 and 13 at the time)went somewhat reluctantly. I insisted because I'd read such wonderful things about it. They all loved it! You can check out their website at plimothplantation.com
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 07:12 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Try not to go early June as many of the colleges will be having graduation. The duck tour site is www.bostonducktours.com
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:25 AM

I agree that the Museum of Science and the Duck Tours are guaranteed hits. The swan boats in the Public Garden might be too tame for most 9-year-olds. Boston's Children's Museum is likewise aimed at younger kids. Most like the Aquarium, and a whale watch is usually a good bet. If you are willing to rent a car for a field trip, Plimoth Plantation is a very good choice.

To get a feel for Boston's history, get a map of the Freedom Trail and do at least part of it. There's a comprehensive information booth on Boston Common, just a few hundred feet from the Park Street subway station. An ancient cemetery might intrigue a 9-year-old.

You can easily get from Boston to Portland via the Amtrak train from South Station. If trains aren't common where you're from, this might be an extra treat, as well as saving the hassle of renting and driving.

Most colleges in Boston have their graduations in May. MIT has theirs on June 3, 2005 and Harvard's is June 6; they also have big reunions at the same time and it's very difficult to get hotel rooms. After that, the sooner you arrive the better, before the local kids get out of school (around June 20) if possible. Also, the weather will get hotter as mid-July approaches.

Do a search on these Fodors discussion boards, there have been plenty of discussions about kids visiting Boston.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:27 AM

Sorry, duh, the train to Portland leaves from NORTH station.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:27 AM

And Harvard's graduation is June 9. Now i'm off to get more coffee.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's responses. I've got great info to start my vacation planning..........dklein2
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:53 AM

I have to disagree on a whale watch out of Boston. Far better is to take one out of Gloucester/Cape Ann. The Boston tours have farther to go to get to the areas and stay far less due to the transit times involved. Gloucester trips are superior. Consider Yankee Fleet or Cape Ann Whale watching.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 07:34 AM

Don't forget to see the Make Way for Ducklings statues in the commons. The Children's Museum is one of the best we've seen. Plymouth is good, better if you do some reading up on it ahead of time. USS Constitution was a hit with my son, as was the Mayflower.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 08:00 AM

Another possibility is a day trip to Cape Cod. It would be best to go during the week to avoid most of the weekend traffic. If you are heading to Plimouth Plantation, you are halfway there already, so continue over the bridge to some beaches. I'll let others recommend them.
The other recommendations are great suggestions.
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 06:21 PM

I saw the Science Center mentioned... but not the museum at MIT. I am planning my own trip to Boston (May 16 - 31 -leaving June 1) and I think that the MIT museum looks very cool.

This is from their website (http://web.mit.edu/museum/visiting/index.html):

The ten coolest reasons for visiting the MIT Museum, not necessarily in the following order, are

You get to . . .

See robots that once roamed the Artificial Intelligence Lab at MIT.

Learn why a perfectly brilliant engineer would shoot an apple with a .45 caliber rifle.

See parts of computers with less memory than a pocket calculator but as big as a washing machine.

Hear people of all ages say things like: “I never knew MIT had a museum,” or “This is the coolest museum I’ve ever been to,” or “Press this. It’s really funny.”

Make a wishbone walk.

Jump in the air and then see your shadow frozen in mid-air on the wall.
Catch a kiss and a wink from a holographic Gay Nineties belle.
See mechanical inventions that were built solely to entertain and amaze you.

Meet really neat scientists and engineers, researchers and students and learn what they’re up to.

See protest posters from the 1970s and relive your wild and idealistic youth.

(We lied) See the gizmo that inflated a six-foot weather balloon with the letters “MIT” near the fifty yard line of Harvard Stadium during a Harvard-Yale football game.

I think this looks awesome for kids of all ages!
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 07:37 PM

The MIT Museum is a fun place, but it's about one-tenth the size of the Museum of Science.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 10:44 AM

we've visited boston several times and have always enjoyed the duck tours (www.bostonducktours.com) and driving through the local countryside. i would also suggest a whale watch if you have the time. we've taken two with the kids, both from the cape. the company we used was Hyannis Whale Watch (www.whales.net)

have fun.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 11:07 AM

Whale watches all head out to the same general area of the ocean, whether they leave from Boston, North Shore/Glouceser, or Cape Cod/Hyannis. So check out their general reputations, and research how long they spend traveling vs in the vicinity of the whales. But there's no need to trek outside Boston specifically to get to a whale watch trip.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 03:06 PM

Kids also tend to like the North End. How can you beat ziti and gelato?

If you have a car to go to Portland one day (appx 2+ hours), keep it a second day to go to Plymouth Plantation and the Mayflower (less than an hour). Both are definitely worthwhile day trips.

Not sure where to rent bikes. But there are paths along the Charles River on the Storrow Drive side that always have bikers/joggers. I don't think you'd want him riding in the city proper.

The Duck Tour would be a huge hit with your son. He may even get a chance to pilot it in the Charles!

I also think you should do at least part of the Freedom Trail. Definitely visit the USS Constitution and Old North Church. Fanuiel Hall is fun for lunch (food court)!

If your school district is out by mid-June, you can "beat" the tourists. But you'll run into lots of local field trips! Fourth of July is packed, and a bit zoo-y, but for good reason. Lots going on!

Best wishes for a great trip!