must sees for 2 kids in Boston?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are driving to Boston tomorrow for a conference with our two kids ages 6 and 10. We're staying at the Sheraton Boston (at 139 Dalton St.). We will take one day off from the conference to do some fun things with the kids. Also, we have a grad student who will be watching them the remaining days and may be willing to take them to locations within walking distance of our hotel. So, what are the must sees for our kids? My daughter recently studied the American Revolution so historic sites are okay, as long as we throw in some fun stuff for our rambunctious kindergartner. Also, is there anything to see within walking distance of the hotel? thanks!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 04:01 AM

The Boston Duck Tours JUST resumed this week and that would be a must for the kids..There is the Boston Science Museum near the harbor. This is just off the top of my head...I'm sure others will join in.. The location is excellent Oh yes...in Copley Square there is a lovely park and several bronze animals your youngest will want to climb on
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 04:12 AM

A tour of the Constitution is a must. It's the oldest commissioned ship in the United States Navy. http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 05:03 AM

I grew up outside of Boston, in the suburbs, and as a child it was always a treat for my brother and I to go to the Boston Aquarium, the Children's Museum, and then to Faneuil Hall (Quincy Market) to eat at one of the many vendors inside.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 05:52 AM

The Children's Museum is closed for renovations.

The Museum of Science has something for everybody and would be a good way for your grad student to fill a day with the kids; it's accessible by public transit and has a reasonable food court. The Duck Tour and Aquarium are also excellent suggestions. Look over the web site for the Freedom Trail and choose a couple of places to focus on.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 05:54 AM

Re the Duck Tour, IIRC they haev two departure points: One at the Museum of Science and one just a couple of blocks from your hotel.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:14 AM

They could stroll along the Freedom Trail - the Paul Revere House and the Old North Church are both in the North End and may be of interest to your older daughter. There is a playground on the Common for the younger one. The Public Gardens is the setting for the Make Way for Ducklings book and there are lovely bronze statues to climb on. Too early for the swan boats.

Kida are into penguins these days if they've seen the Happy Feet or March of the Penguins movies. The NE Aquarium has a terrifc bunch of penguins living there.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:14 AM

If the grad student is limited to taking your kids out within walking distance of your hotel then you might like your kids to take the duck tour with them as they can walk to the pick up point easily.

The library is close to your hotel and is a beautiful building and even if the kids aren't that interested in the architecture they could have a quick look and then move on to the childrens' room. There are sometimes free activities going on or they could pick out a few books to read in a quiet corner if the weather is not conducive to sightseeing.

The aquarium would be a very long walk so go there on your day off.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:28 AM

In the beautiful C opley Square as I mentioned the kids could run off steam plus all the animals they could climb over.. and let's not forget The Ducklings..in the Boston Garden (am I right folks)..The dept. point for the Duck tours is behind the Prudential Center
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Great suggestions -
The freedom trail you can access on line if you have time tonight and see what points may or may not interest them most - or which ones you may want to have them wait and do with you.

I might add they go to the top of the Skywalk in the Prudential - the views on a good day (which we are to have good weather this week) are incredible and there are some history exhibitis also -

this might be a good thing to do after the Duck Tour, they will recognized places they'd seen and have a good historic overview before heading out to walk part of the Freedom Trail

A good walk from there would be down to Newbury, walk down to Arlington, enter the Boston Public Garden, see the duckling statues, and maybe if the weather is as sunny as it is supposed to be, snake over to Charles Street, grab some sandwiches to go and walk to the Charles River - or just grab lunch in one of the spots on Charles St -

Walking the Freedom Trail they can make stops everywhere - you'll see the map online - Faneuil Hall, Aquarium, etc.

I am sure the hotel will also have many pamphlets avaiable on things to do and help them out with the best walking/T stops, etc.

You should have great weather !
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your very helpful suggestions!! This is why I love these Fodor's forums - the info is always spot on. I'll let you know what our favorites are after the trip!