Boston and New Years

Search

Boston and New Years

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2004, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston and New Years

We are two couples spending New Years in Boston from Dec. 29-Jan. 1. We are New Yorkers, in our late 50's and will be participating in First Night activities. Now all we need is a New Year's Eve restaurant, some other restaurants, additional interesting things to do. Our hotel is the Hilton Back Bay. It's also our first time doing First Night. Any suggestions. Thanks.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 01:51 AM

First, go to website Firstnight.org. Plan out what you want to see - many of the most desirable performances fill up well before the start. If it is cold, just wandering around without a plan gets old very fast. Make sure you see the Parade - usually around 6 PM.

I hope someone else can recommend a restaurant for that night - many restaurants prefer to sell New Years packages/parties rather than have their regular menu.

On 29th or 30th, walk thru Quincy Market (Faneuil Hall) area and see decorations - then wander into North End and pick an Italian restaurant for dinner. It is also a good time to watch the carving of the ice sculptures for First Night - although weahter is predicted to be warm (45-50), so this will create a problem for the ice.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gail. So far we have decided to see the parade and then the fireworks immediately after. Can anyone suggest a restaurant in the North End?
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 07:25 AM

Sorry - I am not a good one to recommend specific restaurants - I just typed in search of "Italian" + "Boston" - you could also try "North End" and Boston - several past posts about favorite Italian restaurant in North End.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 08:54 AM

La Scalintella would be an excellent choice for New Years Eve, but I don't know what they offer. Their regular menu is great, but we always choose the chef's tasting menu, a different selection of appetizer and entree for everyone at the table, chosen by the chef (a la "Chocolat" ) . It is a small place, above their cafe, on Hanover.

We went to Icarus many years in a row for New Years. It was wonderful, but they do jack the prices up for a New Year's package, and only offer two seatings.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Try www.chowhound.com and ask the people on the Boston site...they will tell exactly where.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Any suggestions to hear some good jazz?
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 04:45 PM

Chris Botti will be at Sculler's in Cambridge. I have never actually been, but am on their email list. Here's a link if you want to check into it further.
http://www.scullersjazz.com/index.html