Boston Airport or Back Bay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2016, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After spending 12 days in Maine, we're heading to Logan Airport on a Tuesday to drop off our rental car, probably arriving after lunch. We have an early flight the next morning - 7:30 AM. I originally made a reservation at the Hilton Boston Logan Airport ($250) because it seemed like a good idea to be close to the airport with such an early flight. I thought we'd drop off our bags and head in to "downtown" Boston by way of the T/bus to walk around, have dinner, then head back to the hotel after dinner. I'd always planned a very short visit because we've spent time exploring Boston on a previous vacation and our focus this trip is Maine. After reading a recent post about how convenient it is to get to the Logan Airport using the Logan Express across the street from the Charlesmark Hotel ($275), I'm wondering if I should change my plans. It would definitely be more atmospheric to be in Back Bay rather than the airport! We would still walk around and have dinner, but could take our time. We would have to get up earlier than if we were staying at the airport. I called the Logan Express and service begins at 5:00 AM across from the Charlesmark, running every 20 minutes - and it takes 20 minutes to get to Logan. We would probably take the 5:20 bus, because the 5:40 bus might be cutting it close. I'd rather stay in Back Bay, but not sure if it is feasible. So, what do you think, stay in Back Bay or at the airport?
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 01:51 AM

I believe Logan recommends arriving 2 hours before a domestic flight to get through security. The 5am express would work but I think the 5:20 is cutting too close. Mornings are very busy and I prefer to get there 2 hours ahead, at least my experience at the American terminal. Back Bay would be nicer and worth getting up early.
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 02:02 AM

For the trip as you describe it, I actually think the airport Hilton might be more convenient, since you will be dropping off the car at the airport. I would call hotel and ask for early check-in, have driver drop off passenger and bags at hotel to check in, driver returns car, and meets at hotel. Then head into City.

After your half day in Boston, hop a cab or Uber (they can drop off at Hilton) - atmosphere of where you sleep is not all that important. But if you really would prefer to be in Boston, that also seems workable. Assuming it is domestic flight on Wednesday, 5 or 5:20 Logan Express would work - but keep in mind that many coffee/breakfast places at Logan are not open that early.
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 02:07 AM

I think it's personal preference. I would prefer staying at the airport for such an early flight and not worrying about the bus being ontime or whether I'd get up in time.. Assuming the airport hotel has a dependable early morning shuttle and is not far from transportation into the city, I'd stay there. Since you still have to drop the car at the airport location (do you?) the day before flight departure, you will wind up taking 2 roundtrips on the bus if you stay in town.
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 03:59 AM

The Back Bay Logan Express was added during the construction of the new Government Center T Station.

Does anyone know if it will continue now that Government Center is reopening?

I love it and hope it remains, but the T has huge budget pressures, so I fear it won't.
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

I called the Logan Express and the representative seemed to think the bus to Back Bay would be in operation for the foreseeable future - at this time no plans to discontinue.

Not sure about the logistics of dropping off the car at the airport Budget car return, getting to and checking into the Airport Hilton, heading downtown by way of the T, and then back to the Hilton that night. The other scenario is dropping the car off at Budget, finding and taking the Logan Express downtown, checking into the Charlesmark, and then back again to the airport in the morning. Either way we should be at airport security by 5:30-6:00.

I'm not a risky person, but both sound doable, albeit a bit convoluted!
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 10:19 AM

There is a Logan circular shuttle bus (free) that stops at all the terminals and at the Hilton.
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 11:16 AM
cw

From the Airport Hilton, you can walk to the terminals via a covered walkway. If your terminal is a bit far or you have too much luggage, you can take the free shuttle.

I would be inclined to stay at the airport. You can still walk around Boston and go back to the hotel late evening. The T is safe.

Last year when I arrived at the airport at an ungodly early hour (about 5 a.m.) we found that Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, and some other places were all open. That is a change from previous years, but Logan now seems to be very much a 24-hour airport.

That is good news about the Back Bay express bus continuing. Thanks for calling golfmom.
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone - all helpful and useful information to consider.

After dropping off the car, we'll take the Budget shuttle back to the airport. From there we can either head to the Hilton or take the Logan Express to the Charlesmark. I haven't decided that, yet!
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 06:04 PM

I've stayed a few times at the Hyatt and Hilton. I find it a real luxury to not have to worry about traffic. At the Hilton, you actually can walk directly into the terminal through well lit tunnels.

Hyatt and Hilton both had their shuttle drivers pick me up at the Alamo car rental place after I dropped off my car. It was nice, as then I didn't have to use both the car and hotel shuttle to get "home". I don't know where Budget's rental return is though.
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 02:55 AM

Thanks for the information on the Back Bay shuttle. Nice when the OP can inform the "locals!"

I agree with lcuy. It is very nice to wake up already at the airport. We have stayed at both the Hilton and the Hyatt. The Hyatt has the views, the Hilton is more convenient. Both used to be available on Priceline at very good prices.