Boston for 24 hours - stay at airport or Back Bay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are heading to Iceland in early July out of BOS. We decided to fly up the day before and spend the night so as not to be rushed or potentially miss our flights. We can arrive in BOS at early am on a Sunday and plan to take a taxi together to a hotel in the Back Bay area (thinking the Park Plaza). Would that location be good to see some of the sights in Boston. We will need to leave the hotel next day for the airport about 1200pm.

The other option is arriving later on Sunday and staying at the HIlton Boston Logan so we don't have to haul luggage etc. We would then just stay at hotel until its time to leave for the flight to Iceland.

Any suggestions and opinions are welcome.
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 01:50 PM

I would go early and stay in the Back Bay area and see a little of Boston.
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 02:00 PM
WWK

Stay in Back Bay! It's fantastic. But can I make a hotel suggestion? The Lenox Hotel. Wonderful boutique hotel with great staff in the best part of Back Bay. One block from Newbury Street, only about three from the Pru, and across the street from ATLANTIC FISH and LOUIE'S STEAKHOUSE. Have fun!
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 03:28 PM

Agree to stay in the city. Stayed at that Hilton once - got stuck overnight when ice closed the airport - and the Hilton is a desert of nothingness - except for sleeping.
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 06:00 PM
cw

You may want to look at hotels near the harbor (not Seaport) area. It's easy to walk to historical sites, the North End, pleasant in the summer, and close to the airport by taxi or public transportation. But Downtown Boston is compact so it's no problem wherever you decide to stay.
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 08:09 PM

If u r planning July 5th that will b a busy weekend in Boston as the Boston Pops and fireworks celebration will b on July 3rd. I just did a search on Kayak for July 5th and hotels are very expensive. The Lenox Hotel has a special rate of $217 for that date and that is a fantastic rate for Boston. This would b a super location for sightseeing. You could take the hop on trolley tour and get on/off to visit the sights. Trolleys come along designated stops about every 20 minutes. I would not wait to book something u like. U can get a taxi at the airport to the hotel, probably around $25.

Staying at the airport hotels are not convenient to do sightseeing. People have stayed at Embassy suites and there is free shuttle to/from airport. You would have to take taxi or public transportation to downtown area. Good luck and enjoy your stay. You will love Boston.
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I was going to book the hotel as soon as I got the great responses. I know that hotels in BOS Back Bay and and that time are expensive but I think it will be worth it.. Thanks again and I will be trying to book the Lenox. Can't wait to see a little of Boston.
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 03:49 AM

Actually, airport Hyatt is convenient for touring Boston because the harbor ferry stops just outside. But the harbor ferry to Rowe's Wharf is not cheap. Waterside rooms at the Hyatt hav great views, lifetime quality sunsets -- if the sun is shining!
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 05:53 AM

Just did a check on Last Minute Travel website (www.lmt.com) that frequently gets mentioned as a good source. I have used LMT several times and rates are usually an excellent deal. I have not had any problems booking with them. We just used them this past April for a hotel in FLL where we were departing for a cruise.

Here are some of the listings for July 5th that have availability:

Hyatt Boston Harbor - $226. (rates do not include taxes)
Hyatt Regency Boston (in theatre district/downtown crossing) $238.
Hilton Boston Back Bay - $269.
Omni Parker House - downtown area, good location - $233.

There are a few others listed.

On www.booking.com there are a couple of good rates:

The Copley House - good reviews, nice neighborhood in Back Bay area - studio room - $165. (few other rooms available)

Hotel Buckminster - Fenway Park area but walkable - $199.(this would not be my first choice)

You will be able to see quite a bit in the one day. You can walk the Freedom Trail, visit Fanueil Hall.
http://www.faneuilhallmarketplace.com/

Of course, there are lots and lots of wonderful places to dine.

We flew to Iceland from Boston a few years ago and then onto Copenhagen to board a cruise ship. We also did a port stop in Reykavik and had an amazing day there! Hired a private tour guide to show us as much as possible in the day we had. We did the Golden Circle Tour. You will love Iceland!
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 11:23 AM

July 5 is, as mentioned above one of the three busiest times in Boston, so rates will be high. But it is too far out to book a hotel now any only unless you absolutely have to be there for Independence Day.
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 12:08 PM

Hi Ack, OP didn't really give us a definite date so I was going by stated early July in the post. Agree that this is one of the busiest times in Boston so OP may have another date in mind.

The hotels I listed from the Last Minute Travel website all did have availability so could be booked now. If the date is July 5th then I think they should book something so they aren't left without a hotel. I forgot to mention that the OP should check the cancellation policy in the event something better may come along. Last Minute Travel usually has a 3 day cancellation policy prior to booked date. We have used them successfully and gotten great prices as well.

Perhaps we will hear back from Bumkin with an update! Happy New Year to all!
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 12:17 PM

I booked Hyatt Harborside last July 17th; their site, senior rate $188 before tax. The week before on July 9th, I got the same Hyatt from LMT for $250 before tax [it was well over $400 on Hyatt site].
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 12:19 PM

opps, posted too soon.

It was a lovely hotel and the free shuttle was great. I went out for dinner on the first night stay; walked to a nice seafood restaurant. The second stay, met someone for dinner. Neither time did any sightseeing. The water taxi/ferry is right outside hotel. There is also a T stop not far away.
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 01:36 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
If you decide to stay at Logan the Hyatt Boston Harbor is right on the waterfront with a water taxi out front. East to get into downtown Boston.
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 04:39 PM

I just stayed at the Lenox Hotel in Back Bay for 3 nights. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this hotel. Awesome staff and great rooms.
Old Jan 1st, 2015, 07:42 AM

I guess it comes down to how much you want to avoid carrying luggage vs how much time you want to spend on transportation. Personally, I'd favor staying in town.

Realistically, you will have the same amount of active time dealing with luggage no matter where you stay. If you stayed at the Hilton at the airport, for example, you'd have to walk from your terminal to the hotel or deal with the shuttle with luggage. The Hyatt means a shuttle. Ditto for any of the other "airport" hotels in the area. You'd then be stuck getting into the city for pretty much everything.

If you stay in the city and are willing to fork out for the taxi, then you just walk with your luggage to the curb and then take it out at the other end. Honestly, that seems easier to me than a shuttle situation, though I guess that depends how helpful the shuttle driver is.

Regarding the Park Plaza... It is in a very good location - very central to pretty much everything. The rooms can be small and the hotel is a bit old, but I know they have been putting some work into the public spaces - not sure about the rooms. In the same general area is the Four Seasons, which I'm sure is nice, but also the Revere, which is actually pretty nice and often not much more than the Park Plaza. Not much further, in opposite directions are the W and the Loews. Heck, the Lenox and most of the bigger Back Bay hotels (Westin, Sheraton, Copley Plaza, etc.) are only about a mile or so away.

The Seaport isn't a bad option either and would be very easy to/from the airport. You could even take the Silver Line if you were so inclined. The only caveat is that, while it isn't a bad walk to Downtown, most of the hotels are a bit of a walk and there is kind of an empty/construction area between them and the rest of the city. There are a couple of hotels opening closer to the Fort Point channel that sits between the Seaport and Downtown, but not sure when they are going to open.
Old Jan 1st, 2015, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

I booked the Lenox ..thanks to everyone. We are looking forward to our quick visit!
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 07:57 AM
cw

bumkin, there is a Logan Express bus to Back Bay that stops at all the terminals. It will drop you near the Copley entrance to the T, next to the Boston Public Library. The Lenox is in the next block and very walkable. The Logan Express costs $5 per/person.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 06:51 AM

Happy New Year everyone!

Bumkin - glad you were able to book the Lenox for your quick visit to Boston. Think it will be a great location.

Have a great trip to Boston and Iceland! Please do a post when you return so we can find out all about your trip.
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 10:16 AM

The Boston Pops dress rehearsal is on the 3rd. The "real" concert and fireworks are on the 4th. The week of the 4th is popular with tourists but not a busy time for business travel or conventions, so hotels are not all that expensive, not like May, Sept and October.

There are several options on last minute travel for around $250, including the Omni Parker House for $233

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -