Boat Time Shares

Jun 11th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Boat Time Shares

Has anyone heard of this or have experience with this?

Some friends of ours in Chicago want us to possibly do this with them. It is a large sailboat and will be kept at a Marina near the Chicago Yacht club.

It sounds very enticing. We want to buy a big Sailboat when we retire (years from now...20) but this might be a good way to see if this is something we want to pursue.

Would love Feedback..........
Jun 11th, 2007, 01:26 PM

I don't know anything about state-side sailboats. But in Europe and especially in England/Wales there are lots of canalboats/narrowboats that are time shares. They are very popular and you miss out on having to pay for all of the maintenance yourself.
Jun 11th, 2007, 01:58 PM
OO

It's a great way to see if you like it. Do you sail now? How many couples would be involved? I'm not sure if you were considering jointly owning the boat with another couple, or if you'd buy weeks in a really big boat with many others. I know some couples who have jointly owned boats and it has worked for them.

I don't know how big you are talking, but it would sure be nice to split some of the expenses. We are paying $400/mo slip rental for our 30'er, add to that insurance and maintenance. Winters in that climate it will have to be hauled and stored. $$$ add up pretty fast but it's a wonderful sport and in our minds, money well spent.

The only drawback I can see is one family using it and causing some damage...scraping a piling coming back in, or not leaving the lines right and it rubs up and down on a piling until the next person sees it. Those are issues to be worked out in advance, but otherwise, it seems to me as if it'd be a great way to sail less expensively than you would be able to otherwise.

Jun 11th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

OO - I think this is like a condo time share....
It sounds like we would get one or two weeks a summer....which is fine with us. We live in ST Louis. We would just go with the other couple when it is their turn and viceversa.

We both need need to take certified Sailing classes, etc.. My husband grew up with a large cruiser so he is familiar with boating.

I will hopefully find some more details this evening!!

Thanks for the input!
Jun 11th, 2007, 03:36 PM
OO

Ok...not just a shared interest in a boat. Totally different concept from what I was thinking and had seen work in Tampa Bay.

I'm curious about the size..too small and you'll have a hard time sleeping two couples (equally) comfortably. Too large and it could be difficult for just one couple to handle unless they have the right set up for sails. The enjoyment to me of sailing, is that it's an active sport, rather than passive as powerboats tend to be. The right gear can make a world of difference!

It might be fun for the 4 of you to go to one of the sailing schools offered around the country...MD, FL, etc. or the Caribbean and take the first of the courses together to see if it appeals to you both.

Jun 12th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

OO - that is probably a good idea. We did do a sailing school years ago in Annapolis, but it was before we were serious about it. Our DD has had 6 years of sailling in MI during the summer.

Any other fodorites with knowledge of this!!!
Jun 12th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Any one else???

Thanks!
Jul 15th, 2007, 06:32 PM

30's is sort of small for a rental. Try a Tartan 33 or larger.