Search

Block Island or Martha's Vineyard

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:32 PM
JES
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Block Island or Martha's Vineyard

I've spent many years going to BI and it's one of my favorite places, but I have not been to MV in a very long time.
We are planning a getaway and were thinking of changing it up and trying MV but I love how simple BI is--a place I can truly relax.
What is the general consensus--do you like BI or MV and if it's the latter--what town? We like to bike & beach and feel like we are on an island. Cute, charming restuarants and shops are great too!
Thanks for any recommendations.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:45 PM

I've spent time on both although it's been 10 yrs since I've been to BI and enjoy them both. Depending on the time you visit it seems MV can be more crowded, but I feel it can be worth it. On MV, I like Edgartown lots of restaurants, inns and B&B's to choose from. It's got such a quaint New England feel. I like to get off the ferry in Oak Bluffs and throw my backpack on and bike to Edgartown, it's such a beautiful bike ride. When it feels to crowded in Edgartown I take the small ferry to Chappaquidick and bike to a quiet beach.

I think BI would probably be a bit quieter and maybe more relaxing, but MV has more to offer, small towns to explore, the bluffs to visit, beaches and many places to eat.

I guess my vote would be MV.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 06:25 AM
JES
Original Poster

tiname--thank you for your vote and suggestions. How far is OB from Edgartown? I know it's a much bigger island than BI. I have knee problems but love to bike as long as it's not a major trek.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 01:23 PM

Hi Jes,

Haven't logged on for a while so I hope you get this. The bike from Oak Bluffs to Edgartown is about 5 miles and pretty much flat. You could also just cab it to Edgartown, I'm pretty sure they have vans w/bike racks. Enjoy it if you go!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 02:03 PM

I like BI much better. Just don't go on a hoilday week end.