Bicycling Cozumel?

Old Jan 15th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bicycling Cozumel?

We are staying a few days in Playa del Carmen, and are thinking of doing a day trip to Cozumel with bikes. Are bikes allowed on the ferry? How bike friendly is Cozumel? Where would be a good spot to stop and snorkel from the beach?
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:32 PM

I do not think Cozumel is bike friendly. Even riding the little scooter you can rent is scary. For snorkeling off the beach just go south when you get off the ferry. However best to go the the CozumelmyCozumel internet site for great info from people that live on the island.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 08:30 PM

When I stayed on Cozumel for several months...20 years ago I brought my bike and would ride around the circumference of the island a couple times a week. I found it quite enjoyable back then. I imagine you could bring a bike on the ferry. Most people back then going for a few weeks would rent a scooter. I don't know how busy that road is any more. I have fond memories of exploring that island with my bike.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 05:54 AM

Neither the road condition or traffic are very bicycle friendly.

Keith
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 09:07 AM

Utahlover,

We used to travel to Cozumel a lot during the early 80's. No potable water, very few hotels and wonderful deserted beaches to snorkel off.

Unfortunately, it is a lot different now. I took my daughter down for her high school graduation a few years ago and haven't been back since. It has grown even more since then from what I have read. I wouldn't ride a bike on that road now.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:36 AM
TC

We see bikers all over the island every year in Cozumel. In fact, we see serious bikers preparing for races. The island is flat, so I guess it depends on your definition of "bike friendly". Snorkeling from the beach would be great at Dzul Ha or Playa Corona, both south of town. The beaches are great on the far side of the island, but snorkeling isn't good there. You could easily bike from the ferry landing to Dzul Ha, no need to go all the way round the island.