Groceries in Yellowstone & Grand Teton Parks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be leaving Yellowstone for Grand Teton, where we'll have an accomodation with a kitchen. We'd like to cook one or two diners and are wondering what kind of groceries we can expect to find within the parks. I understand there are grocery stores at Lake Village, Grant Village and Colter Bay, all of which would be on our way. What I'm interested in is what kinds of meat might be available, lettuce, fresh vegetables, eggs? Does one of the stores carry a wider variety than the others? Any input would be appreciated.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 12:40 PM

Speaking of the stores in Coulter Bay and Old Faithful, they are fairly well stocked with the basics. You may not find 10 brands of cereal or pasta sauce, but they'll have some. They did have fresh produce, dairy, eggs, oj but I don't really remember fresh meat because I wasn't looking for it. At Signal Mt, I saw some frozen meat and suspect it may be the same at other stores. They do sell wine and liquor at comparable prices to those outside the parks.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Clousie. I was hoping that would be the case. You mentioned Signal Mtn--so there's a store there as well? That's where we're staying.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 04:03 PM

Coulter Bay, which is maybe 7 miles north of Signal Mt really has more selection than Signal Mt so you may want to stop there on your way from Yellowstone.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 04:08 PM

The food selection in the stores in Yellowstone is, as described, basic.
Don't expect much out of the meat counter. But there is plenty of beer and potato chips.

I would visit West Yellowstone, or hope the store at Colter Bay has what you want. My general reaction over the years has been that lodging and the supporting facilities are better in the Tetons.

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 06:06 PM

The stores are like small markets--not a lot of choices but a wide range of items. It seems like most of the meat was frozen but they do have produce, eggs, milk, etc. Frozen meat doesn't bother me--I use frozen meat at home as well.

What impresses me is they could really gouge you on the prices and they don't.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I don't mind frozen meat, assuming that it's more than hot dogs and hamburgers. As we're staying at the Lake Yellowstone Hotel and West Yellowstone would be really out of the way on our trek to Grand Teton, I'll probably make stops at both Grant Village and Coulter Bay for provisions. But it's very good to know that I can expect to find some produce.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

After I posted my last message, I found some more information on another thread that I thought I'd put here for anyone else interested in the same question.

Posted by Dorothy01 on 7/22/-4:

"The grocery store at Colter Bay has a much better selection of food than the stores within Yellowstone NP. They have a deli so freshly sliced meats and cheese are available; the vegetabel selection is better also; food is a bit cheaper."
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:20 AM

RuthMc,

In your original post you write, "We'd like to cook one or two diners..."

As primitive as many areas in these parks are, the practice of cooking "diners" (or campers and hikers for that matter) has been outlawed for decades.

(Sorry, couldn't resist ;~)

AL
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Al, you're just like my husband who had a good laugh at my expense when he read my posting.

Or should I say, I'm sorry we didn't travel before the practice was outlawed?