Blakely Hotel New York City

Jul 4th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Blakely Hotel New York City

Hello, My husband and I have reservations at this hotel the end of July. The hotel used to be called the Gorham, and recently went through a total refurbishment. Has any one stayed there, or looked in? We usually stay at the Hotel Elysee on E. 54th but thought we'd try something new. The Blakely is located on W. 55th. Thank you for your help!
Jul 5th, 2004, 06:10 AM

I can't help with the hotel, but I'm sure it will be great. I notice on another thread you were asking about French bistros in NY. Not far from your hotel is Maison (Broadway 53-54) which has a large outdoor seating area and is open 24/7

On the same street as your hotel is La Bonne Soup. While more an American version of a French bistro IMO, it's still a good moderate (not cheap) option for lunch (salads, burgers, quiche and...soup). BTW, you're in "soup country" over there
Soup Kitchen International of Seinfeld fame (the soup Nazi) is on 55th betw Broadway & 8th (therealsoupman.com)

Between the Bread is a very decent take out place, also on the same st. as the hotel, if you felt like having a picnic.

NY is just loaded with good French bistros. One that's great for mussels and frites is Jubilee on east 54 betw 1st-2nd but they opened a place on the west side, on 51 st called Jubilee 51 you might try.

BTW, there's a great inexpensive nail salon on the hotel street called Bloomies if you want to treat yourself to a manicure and pedicure. Michael's restaurant, also on that block, is an excellent (expensive) California cuisine place that gets a power breakfast and lunch crowd. They have an early prix fixe dinner menu. Have fun.
Jul 5th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

mclaurie, Thank you so much for all your wonderful suggestions. We have been to Michaels on past trips and enjoyed it. If I'm not mistaken wasn't Le Bonne Soup at one time called La Fondue? We are looking forward to trying many of the places you have suggested. We usually spend a week in Paris every summer, but will have to enjoy eating French food in N.Y. instead! Again, thanks so much...
Jul 5th, 2004, 07:22 PM

topping - also interested in the Blakely - anyone been? Also, is this a good central area for sightseeing and Broadway shows? How about public transport?
Jul 6th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Rob

Central area for sightseeing - YES
Convenient to Broadway shows - YES
Available to public transportation - YES
Jul 6th, 2004, 04:33 AM

Hi scrach. Yes, you could be right about La Fondue but I'm not sure. It's just such an interesting street. Lots of hidden treasures. Unfortunately both La Caravelle and La Cote Basque have closed on the block. I haven't been on the street in a while. I wonder what has or will replace them.

If you are so inclined you could go around the corner to Manolo Blahnik's shoe store on 54th $) but a pair of his shoes cost the same as an airline ticket to Paris

I wanted to clarify that I was suggesting Jubilee and/or the newer Jubilee 51 (which I haven't tried) for it's location and it's somewhat unique menu offering moules fixed umpteen ways.

Zagat rates Le Gigot in the village as the best French bistro. I've never tried it.

Yes, happycheesehead it's a good location. It's a bit north of the theater district so not so hectic. If you want to be right in Times Square, this is not the place, but it's a short walk.
Jul 6th, 2004, 10:08 AM

Have not been there since it became the Blakely, but stayed a couple of times when it was still the Gorham and always liked it, so I'd assume it's even better now after the refurbishment.
Jul 6th, 2004, 10:15 AM

We stayed there when it was the Gorham and were thrilled with it. Excellent location, nice rooms, all queen sized beds - and comfy at that. Is it the same management?
Jul 6th, 2004, 12:56 PM

Hi- Not sure who managed the Gorham, but the Blakely is SRS World Hotels. I am liking the idea of an entirely refurbished hotel, I HATE it when carpets/upholstery in a hotel room have multiple unidentifiable stains- at least I have a chance of getting a cleaner room here.

I see a $290 rate for my visit (Mom and I sharing a room) for a "DELUXE SUITE/1KING/W-LAN/450-550 SQFT/49 SQM/SITTING ROOM/WORK DESK/KITCHENETTE". For $270 we could get two Q beds in a 350 SQFT room (not a suite). I figure Mom and I can share a king bed (I am going to hear her snore even if we have two queens!) and it would be nice to have the extra sitting room. Each room apparently has a kitchenette for brekky/coffee/leftover storage. Very handy.

I hope that is a good price for the area, and am most anxious to hear from anyone who may have stayed there since May.

Scrach, if no one writes in about a recent stay before you go at the end of July, could I ask you to please report back on your visit?? This is the first time Mom and I have traveled together sans husbands, and I would like to pick a nice place for us that will not break the bank.
Jul 6th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

HappyCheesehead, I will be happy to post a report on the Blakely when I return. The hotel sounds very nice, we are looking forward to our stay there...
Jul 7th, 2004, 03:57 AM

HappyCheesehead that sounds like a lot of money!! If you're looking for a suite situation with a separate sitting room there are other options that might be less. The San Carlos on the east side is also a newly redone place and a few Fodorites have stayed there and liked it. Also in that same east side area is the Kimberley which has an indoor pool. Affinia.com is a group of hotels that all have suite accomodations with kitchenettes. People seem to love their Murray Hill Shelburne (also east side). Just a thought. It's also possible that closer to your stay (I assume it's after Sept.) there may be some discounts.
Jul 7th, 2004, 11:47 AM

Hi Mclaurie: Excellent suggestions, I will check them out! Luckily, the Blakely is a completely cancellable reservation, so it is good to have a back up in the event I do not stumble upon a better deal. I am considering giving Priceline a shot too. I have to do a bit more research into the 4 star hotels offered so I can be certain any winning bid would be acceptable. My Mom would really be fine with most anything, I am the picky one.
Jul 7th, 2004, 12:06 PM

We stayed at the Gorham last Aug in a 2 - queen room for $139.00....2 adults, one kiddo.

They recently sent me a coupon for 25% off my next stay as a return customer. Maybe you could wrangle a 25% off out of them too. Mention that just last summer it was $139... But $270 - $290 That's a pretty steep price, esp. for July in NYC. But then again, they have to pay for the renovations...
Jul 7th, 2004, 05:03 PM

Hi Austin - I gave it the ol' college try, LOL. I called the Blakely, asked about any specials, (not out for Oct yet, if they even have any) and asked if I might get my hands on one of those coupon's (of course I was politer that that!) but was told no way, they are only sent to prior guests. Thanks for the suggestion tho! She said they will never have those kinds of rates again, based on the management change. I will watch closely to see if they do offer any specials later, it looks like a nice place with plenty of room.
Jul 7th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

HappyCheesehead, I see a $249 room rate on Quickbook.com for October at the Blakely. This is for a deluxe room, with two queen beds. I put in a random Oct. date. I have booked with Quickbook many times and never had a problem. Take a look at their website. Good luck!!
Jul 12th, 2004, 02:48 PM

This is so strange. I am leaving for the Blakely on Wednesday and I found their largest suite on their website for $195! I booked it a few weeks ago though and I see that they have raised the rates again but I would keep watching because maybe it will go down again. I will let you know how the hotel is after this week.
Jul 13th, 2004, 07:34 AM

Hi Beaham:

195 for the largest suite seems like a great deal! Unfortunately, we are traveling in October, on a weekend, in what appears to be a very popular time. I looked again today for the October rates, and the hotel now says it is sold out.

Can't wait to get reports from you and Scrach. I am especially concerned about the location. We are going to two shows (Producers and Ave Q) and I understand taxis are difficult to come by after the show. My mom can't do tons of walking and I want to be sure that our hotel is within easy walking distance of the shows so we don't have to worry about getting a cab.

Have fun, and report back!
Jul 19th, 2004, 08:20 AM

Just came back and I just want to tell you that this hotel was terrific. It is in a great location, right next to the 57th St. subway stop, around the corner from Carnegie Deli,one block from 5th Avenue. Hotel rooms are all new,very nice with two plasma TV's and extra comfy beds. Staff was great. I would stay here again in a heartbeat!!!
Jul 19th, 2004, 09:37 AM

Hi Beaharm:

Sounds like the Blakely was a hit!

Was it clean and construction finished?

Can you post re: general atmosphere of the hotel? What room type did you have - was it a suite?

Also did you walk back from any shows? Our theaters will be on 44th & 45th and I would love to know how long it might take to walk.

Would love to hear more - and also how was the rest of your trip?
Jul 19th, 2004, 10:10 AM

When we stayed at the Gorham - Now the Blakely - we walked back from seeing Hairspray. No problem at all. It's an excellent location.

Scrach - were the beds still super comfy?