Reload this Page >

Blackwater Falls vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Caroline

Our family will be spending a week at Blackwater Falls Lodge in West Virginia during the fall foilage time, has anyone been there. Never been to WV, what to expect?

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Bruce

It is beautiful with a surprising number of pine trees, you think you are in Oregon. The small towns in West Virginia remind me of the 1950s.

Lots of tough but beautiful drives in West Virginia, winding roads.

The cabins in the State Parks in WV are great, so are the lodges.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 08:33 AM
BeenThere

The Blackwater Falls area of WV is beautiful. You are only a short drive from Canaan Valley. I know in some of the State Parks the deer will eat right from your hand. Very clean, scenic area.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Mike Honeycutt

I think it depends on what you are looking for when you visit Black Water Falls. I've seen many (all?) of the cabins and they are close together. It is my understanding the cabins are basically full most of the year so don't expect much privacy. Likewise, the cabins I saw were close to the road, so given it is leaf season, you may have a fair amount of traffic. It has been several years since I when was there but (somebody help me here) the only activities I remember were: see the falls, watch the deer, do some hiking, watch the deer again. I don't remember a close town (Davis, WV?) so don't expect civilization to be too close. None of these items are bad - it depends on what you expect.

Someone mentioned the deer - plan on getting plenty of "really close" shots since they seemed nearly tame to me. Please remember they are wild animals though. I really like WV and if you time it right, the fall colors will be wonderful.Have a good trip.

Mike Honeycutt

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 05:14 AM
Fran

Some of the State Parks in West Virginia have nice cabins that are at least 100 yards apart. Try Watoga and Lost River State Park for great cabins with lots of room between them.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 05:52 AM
Caroline

We have friends that vacationed at Watoga State Park in WV and they loved it. They were there in the summer months and enjoyed the river. Look forward to going to Blackwater Falls State Park.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:18 AM
kayd

The lodge in Blackwater Falls State Park has lovely common areas -- central room with huge stone fireplace, comfy chairs, card tables and board games, plus porches overlooking the canyon. The restaurant was OK, nothing special, but an attractive room with lots of windows.
The larger Canaan Valley Park, and small restautants and craft shops in Davis and Thomas provide diversions from the limited options at tiny Blackwater.
Guest rooms in the lodge are a bit outdated and small (or they were when we stayed there about six years ago). We had a spell of bitter cold rain and cut that trip short. Be prepared for anything from warm and sunny to light snow (we had an overnight dusting at the end of September on another trip to the area).
Enjoy your vist to wild and wonderful West Wirginia.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:21 AM
x

It's too bad the tree huggers have eliminated the annual motorcycle/atv race.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:41 AM
Mountain

XXX - Until we form an advocacy against these tree huggers, they will always have their way. I live in WV and have received mail from the Sierra Club asking for a donation. Talking about hitting the wrong spot with me, I sent it back with a nasty note and have heard nothing else from that group.
I truly resent them coming into my state and deciding how we will live.
Caroline - the Blackwater Falls area is a beautiful place and lots to see. Within a hour or two driving time,you can see Seneca Rocks, Cass Railroad, the Otter Creek Wilderness and not to forget Dolly Sods. Get brochures and see our great state.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:47 AM
x

Somewhere in the southwest (I forget where) a company wanted to build something in an area where some endangered turtle lived. The Sierra Club had a MAJOR LEAGUE FIT! Put a stop to it. Temporarily. After the company made a multimillion dollar "donation" to the Sierra Club, they withdrew their lawsuit. The company was able to build their building. The endangered turtles were rounded up and offered to be "adopted out." Unfortunately all the turtles were not adopted, so the remaining ones were euthanized as part of the agreement with the Sierra Club.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:48 AM
x

by the way, I feel the same way about the so-called Christian Coalition

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 09:30 AM
Mountain

X - Doesn't that put them in the same catagory as the Rainbow Coalition? They extort millions from companies.
How about the land owner in California who had some sort of "rare" rat on her ranch and wasn't allowed to cut the brush on her property and her home burned to the ground. No one can tell me any rat is rare, if there is a male and female they won't be rare rats after a couple of months. These people are nutso and we need to fight back. Next they will be telling me when I can and can not cut my lawn because the clippings may be blown into the creek.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 09:43 AM
x

You're probably right. Any radical organization to the right or left is a pain in the sphincter muscle.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 09:48 AM
Mountain

Ouch!! Gotta stand for a few minutes.
Ya got that right.