birthday celebration NYC or nearby

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone suggest a resturant for a Birthday celebration in or near NYC.
We have been to Daniel.Atieier,Jean George,
Aureole,Le Circ,La Grenuile,Bouley,Veritas,
Gotham,Gramacey Tavern,Le Bernadin,
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 04:09 AM

And none of those were worth going back to? What a great list? Or is your main goal simply to go somewhere you've never been before to add to your list?
The most obviously missing ones from your list would seem to be Chanterelle, Alain Ducasse, and Nobu.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 04:55 AM

How about the wine tasting prix fixe menu at Cite (after 8pm). They bring different types of wine and champagne with every course (all unlimited). It's a great place to go with a group. Just make sure no one is driving afterwards.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 04:55 AM

Just wanted to add, their food is great too!
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 05:26 AM

One amazing new restaurant that is along the lines of what you have mentioned--Davie Burke & Donatella. Fantastic food, great service. Barbara Walters at the next table. Also new, but casual compared to the others, Jean George's new Spice Market. A really fun atmosphere, great lounge downstairs, and fun, sharing kind of fusion food. Had great conversations with Carol Burnett, Beverly Sills, and Nicole Kidman last Monday. Monday, can you believe it? The place was jumping.

By the way, in case you come back to this thread, Patrick, Nicole said she is in talks to do an off-broadway production next season but would not give details. Apparently, it is something she was supposed to do before Cold Mountain, but there were production issues. I am dying to know what it is. Carol Burnett was thrilled that we bought the CD for Sherry, with her and Nathan Lane, and that we loved it. I think that is on a slow train to Broadway as well.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 05:43 AM

Ooops, here we go hijacking food threads for theatre talk, bugswife, but interesting news. I saw a production of Sherry years ago (one of the very few) and thought it was great -- no reason to have been a flop in my opinion.

About Spice Market. Where is it, right at Jean George's? Any chance it serves late? Maybe on Sunday nights? Still looking for a place after King Lear at the Lincoln Center on a Sunday night late!

Regarding the comments about Cite. I've enjoyed that wine dinner there and it is a great bargain, but I'd be hard pressed to put the experience or the food in a comparison test with any of the places named in the original post. We're talking a different kind of experience there.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 05:53 AM

Spice Market is in the meat packing district, 13th & 9th, on 13th St. The phone number for reservations is 212-675-2322. They serve until midnight on Sunday nights. You will love this place. Casual, but cool atmosphere. You have to just take a walk around and look at the whole restaurant--tables overlooking the lounge, tables that view the kitchen, tables with chairs and white leather love seats. And the eye candy! Walk to the back of the downstairs lounge and check out the private rooms with benches covered in white cushions all around the rooms and curtains. Great place for a party.

As for the food, the appetizers were all great except for the shaved tuna (not much there) and the lobster roll (without the really spicy sauce it had no taste). Sea bass was terrific, as was the rest of the entrees. If you are going late at night, I would suggest just ordering a bunch of appetizers. Much more fun and you get to try more.