Reload this Page >

The Real Truth about NYC Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 06:16 AM
Sam Hempell

Many of you visiting our fair city don't have a clue about which restaurants are really good and Zagats is not reliable in that it is merely the amalgamation of everyone's responses. Is Friends a great show because it's popular?
First, understand that there are different strokes for different folks. I am fortunately able to afford nice restaurants so that is the only ones I will review here. If you want to impress your friends with a room/view and don't care so much about the food, then Tavern on the Green, the new Russian Tea Room, Windows on the World are good choices. But beware. There is not one single restaurant with fabulous views that serves fabulous food.
Good restaurants but overrated - Le Cirque, Aureole, Lespinasse, Lutece, Balthazar, La Cote Basque, Jo Jo, China Grill, Union Square, Grammercy Tavern, One if By land, Aquavit, Arcadia, Four Seasons
The worst (popular) rest in town - Carmines - I wouldn't feed this to starving animals; Asia de Cuba - bad food and it's about 10 degrees inside; Tabla - Curry on ice cream? You decide; Cafe Des Artistes - Pretty murals on the walls but food is glorified TGIF.
The best restaurants in NYC - Le Bernardin - best fish house in the country; Babbo - hardest reservation in town..Great pastas at reasonable prices; Il Mulino - not as good but fantastic; Bouley Bakery - its not food, its ambrosia; Nobu - Black cod with miso, spicy crab; Jean Georges - Ethereal food.
Hope this was helpful

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 08:14 AM
Lori

Allow me to add to the good restaurants but overrated - Montrachet. Yes a fantastic wine list with prices to match, mediocre decor and mediocre food. Agree 100% about Le Bernardin and Il Mulino. I also like the wine tasting menu at Cite, best bargain in town.

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 09:57 AM
nonname

Let me put it this way, Sam: Based on your description of Zagat's reviewers, I'd say it's nothing more than the opinions of a bunch of Sam Hempells!
What makes you different?

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 10:02 AM
jeff

I second Cite as a "best bargain". I even went there last year for New Years and had a great time. The only problem with this year is that we had difficulty getting to it (Times Sq. location) with the police closing off Times Sq. at 6th Ave. This year would be impossible.

I want to take my wife for her 30 birthday celebration in Feb. (being 36, I don't see the big deal). I called a number of restaurants and none take reservations more than 30 days prior. I didn't call Jean Georges yet. Is that my best bet for a memorable restaurant (food and ambiance)in NYC. Unfortunatly, we have reservations for Asis de Cuba for next week. But---out of your list---my favorate was NOBU. We left the ordering to the waiter and tried dishes that we may not have under different circumstances. While I want to go back, there are so many to try. Thank you for your insight.

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 10:30 AM
Bob

Here, here, noname!

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 11:16 AM
jeff

There is nothing wrong with someone with a forceful opinion. I have learned to ignore such terms as "the real truth" or "there is only one way..." because I, like you, hate the way it sound sooooo arrogant. I use Zagats as a bible but there is nothing wrong with reading the Book of Sam for what it is.

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 11:58 AM
foodwriter

I used to compile data and write the blurbs for the NYC Zagat survey, and used to look at thousands of comments--from commenters all believing themselves to give the sacred truth, sometimes based on one visit. I agree with many of Sam's opinions and disagree with many. You are safest when the numbers add up--stick with a survey over one person. Or check out the NYTimes reviews, done over several visits by a true food writer. I disagree most on Tabla, and think the food at Windows on the World is good enough--nothing would be as fabulous as the views, but it is worth it for out of towners. Agree about Carmines. Like Asia de Cuba for the buzz. Love Jean Georges, where the infusions are snipped from a rolling cart of plants!

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 02:06 PM
noname

Bless you Bob and Foodwriter! I'd love to sign my real name, but I just don't feel like getting spammed or worse!
Anyway, I am always leery of those who come across as the experts or authorities. Anyone who uses the title, "The Real Truth about NYC Restaurants," c'mon Sam, get real!

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 03:30 PM
John

My two cents:
Food writers are like music critics are like art critics. They love the latest new thing. They like what is different. "Challenging" they call it. And when someone trumpets something as "new and wonderful" everyone piles on because no one wants to say the emperor has no clothes. That's how we get pretentious restaurants with bad food and paintings with elephant dung on them. I appreciate postings by average people, those not on an expense account, who can give an alternate opinion.

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 06:54 PM
lola

John, your comment is filled with generalizations. "Average people" can be as biased and wrongheaded as "food critics." And they can say anything without being responsible to anyone--sometimes based on the wrong reasons, and not very discerning taste. I have seen, many times in this forum, restaurants praised that I consider tourist traps. If readers follow that advice they are going to pay more and consumeless interesting food than if they read critiques from reputable sources. People who are employed to write are responsible to the people the write for (they hear about it if they aren't; esp. in NY) and responsible to the publication. The Times and papers of that level employ discerning people. And Zagat's is fine, because of the numbers. But be careful of one opinion, offered for whatever reason--especially when you do not know from whence it comes.

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 08:36 PM
sam hempell

I must respond to my critics. First, I reviewed only famous or good restaurants bc I wanted to talk to those who wanted to go to a special place. Clearly my opinion does not emcompass all. Its not supposed to. These were my honest opinions. I think I have some basis for these as I eat out about 4 times a week and have for the last 8 years. I have copies of most menus in my desk drawer and have circled certain dishes.
Look, you follow whomever you want to believe. Safety in numbers (like some of your defense of Zagats) is usually sufficient enough of a criteria but how many true movie fans thought Big Daddy was a great/funny flick even though it was popular in "big numbers"?
For the person who wanted to come to NY and had trouble getting a reservation please believe me when I tell you that I don't like "trendy" restaurants. My only criteria is food, then service, then atmosphere/view. That's it. You said you are going to Asia de Cuba which is a hot spot, but I can guarantee you that it is not in the top 40 restaurants serving food. You can reach me at [email protected] if you need help getting a reservation. If you are willing to pay up for a memorable dinner, you must try the tasting menu at Bouley Bakery or Jean Georges. Believe me, (esp about Bouley) you will not be disappointed.
For any one else out there who really would like the "skinny" on a restaurant, please email me at aforementioned adrs. There are too many morons on this board who are either inaccurate or practice spilling non sequiturs. I'm not bragging about my opinions but I have never had anyone dislike a restaurant I sent them to and have never had one say they really enjoy a restaurant I detest.

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 04:55 AM
Neal Sanders

Sam, you've started a fascinating thread and one that is true to what the Fodors' travel board is all about. Let me throw in my own two cents worth...

Let's start with an uncomfortable but undeniable truth: in all but a handful of cities, restaurant reviews are nothing but efforts by a newspaper or magazine (and especially by magzines) to troll for ads. As a result, the food is always divine, the service is inevitably gracious. Anyone who would make a reservation based on a review in "Boston" magazine (to pick one egregious example among hundreds of culprits) would do better by opening the yellow pages and choosing at random.

Not so New York, and especially not so the New York Times. I mourn the loss of Ruth Reichl, who understood food and the restaurant business, but the new reviewer is doing tolerably well and the "$25 and under" column continues to be a mother lode of ideas. My advice to anyone visiting New York is to make the Times' restaurant index their bible.

And remember one other thing: I'll wager that 20 of the 25 best restaurants in the country are in New York. You classify Aureole as "good but overrated." That's by a New York standard which has a Le Bernardin against which to compare it. If you're coming into town from Milwaukee, you will walk away from Aureole knowing you've had a spectacular meal.

But thanks again for posting the message that started the thread. Anyone who reads through the many replies will come away with a better understanding of and appreciation for New York restaurants.

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 05:30 AM
sam hempell

Thank you Neal!!! Finally, someone understands what I was trying to add. Obviously if my opinions weren't meant in sincerity, I would be foolish to direct people to restaurants I frequent most. It would make them both noisier and harder to enter.
Your point on whether Aureole is a good restaurant is valid. I lived in Atlanta for a year, and Aureole is 10 times better than anything there. My attempt was to lead those visitors to one or two great restaurants since they are expensive and many people would not like to frequent them on every day of their visit.
You are very correct about Ruth Reichel. Too many food reviewers must be either getting paid under the table or receiving preferential treatment. She was the best food critic, I thought, in America. Honest, tough, and, when warranted, effusive.
Since I posted my email adrs on my previous message, I have received about 20 questions about different restaurants. I will answer them here to save me some time.
Peter Luger? Yes, the best steakhouse in the area, but not always a home run. The fact that the setting is dingy and service is gruff does not, in my estimation, add "quaintness" or appeal. For the same price, you can eat a better meal and a shorter cab ride. Transportation included, it will cost you the same price as a fancy French restaurant in midtown.
Sparks? Don't believe the hype. The interior is beyond laughable; it's pathetic. Shabby carpets, and 500 $25 paintings of the same subject (boring landscapes) make it almost impossible to concentrate on the food which is mediocre. Believe me, it is not cheap. Perhaps the most overrated rest in town
Chanterelle? A great throwback to what rest should be. Tables are spaced far apart. There is never the sense of rush because there basically is only one seating a night. I once had a 4 hour meal there. Food quite good.
Union Square? Rated the most popular rest in NYC by Zagats. Service is fantastic, reservationist is almost sycophantic, but food is only decent. It is not as expensive as other top restaurants so it is a fair deal.
Grammercy Tavern? Good concept but they fail in delivering the food. Don't misunderstand. Food is still good, but the point is going to the one that is going to put the biggest smile on your face relative to the same hole in your wallet.
La Cote Basque? Once a favorite, it is now living off the fumes of its past. Food is mediocre. Prices are high.
Four Seasons? Great scene. Sit by the pool. But don't tell me I didn't warn you - food is not divine and when you get the bill, you will ask the waiter if you broke a window in the bathroom. $30 appetizers and $40 entrees are not uncommon here.
222? To many the most romantic and best rest in town. To which I must ask - Has cocaine been legalized? Food is tasty but not earth-shattering the first restaurant where I saw $40 appetizers and $50-$60 entrees. The most expensive restaurant in town and on a food ranking, not in the top 30. Doesn't sound like a fair shake to me.
Le Cirque 2000? A real visual treat but it doesn't have the same magic as when Daniel Boulud was the chef. Go for drinks at the bar if you want to see what it looks like.

If I had a week to live and could eat at 7 restaurants in NYC they would be Bouley Bakery, Jean Georges, Babbo, Le Bernardin, Il Mulino, Nobu, Daniel.

Sorry to be so long in my message. My girlfriend is going to kill me, but I will say that if you want an excellent meal at 1985 prices try Lupa downtown. Past dishes are around $10 and desserts are $5. Same owners as Babbo and Po. If you really want to know the skinny, usually nytoday.com can give you the nytimes review which is the best you can get from a website and more accurate than Zagats by far.
Any more questions and you can reach me at [email protected]. Happy eating!

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 06:08 AM
noname

Don't get me wrong, Sam. I happen to agree with a lot of your restaurant judgments. I just don't think you are the end-all-know-all (or whatever that phrase) that you think you are. As I said before, anyone who titles his posting "The Real Trust about NYC Restaurants" has got to be suspect. (And bully for you that you keep menus in your desk drawer.)
And you could take a few lessons from Neal!

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 07:03 AM
sam hempell

Dear No name

You seem to have some kind of inferiority complex. This causes you to bash those who express their opinions. Of course, my opinions, are not the only ones that are valid. But when it comes to food, my friend, I have not met a better judge of it. If I was visiting a city, I would love to read a post about the inside dirt at the restaurants in town from somebody who eats out 20 times a month. You, on the other hand, are too obsessed with putting me in my place to realize that this is the best post I've read on NYC restaurants. Would it make you feel any better if I said "Hey guys, I'm just a little bitty nobody but these are my small and uneducated opinions"? I don't see how that affects the content of what I wrote. Look, moron, I'm helping people out. Like Neal said there are so many rest that have received rave "reviews" that are utterly disgusting. It appears not only are you a patron of these but are desirous that others be also. Noname? What are your 3 favorite restaurants in NYC (and McD's and Houlihan's don't count)?

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 07:09 AM
martha python

"this is the best post I've read on NYC restaurants"
And you can't think of any reason people would find your post irritating or laughable, huh?

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 07:48 AM
samhempell

Dear martha:

It appear I've offended your sensitivies. Let me start over again. "Dear Readers of Fodors, I am slight of build with bad skin. I haven't had sex in months and have been told I look somewhat like Morton Downey Jr. The only thing I have going for me is I eat out a lot, but I warn you: My opinions are mine alone. They do not apply to anyone else but me. I may have very different taste buds than you, so please don't take anything I read to heart. I still like bell bottoms, cabbage patch kids and think polyester is groovy. David Hasselhoff is the brightest star in Hollywood and Kevin Costner plays a totally different role in every movie. The only way I can get a dog to play with me is by tying a porkchop around my neck. Now here's what I think of the following restaurants.......". Would this introduction have pleased you more? I'm sorry if I've offended your delicate sensitivities. I'm not running for office. But when I want someone's opinon, I want them to be very strong in stating it so it is more believable. The fact that it is his/her OPINION means of course that it is not infallible. I don't need to be warned by a person with a strong opinion, that it is not infallible because I have the rudimentary knowledge that it is an OPINION. Would you like warning labels on more things? Yes, my opinions are strong, but I think that is what makes them interesting instead of the usual mealy-mouthed reviewers on many postings. I'm trying to help people. Those who are offended or are concerned I am trying to abscond with the title of "He Who Knows Most" can dine at Taco Bell....in Hoboken

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 08:20 AM
Helen

Sam, it's not merely your confidence in your opinions on the restaurants (which I found entertaining) that's raising people's dander; believe me I appreciate your sharing them.
Certainly you're entitled to tag others as "morons" if that's how you feel about them, or to allege that your postings are the best thing on line if you believe that to be true. Just don't be surprised to find that some readers don't react well to the flaming and the bragging.
And BTW, I don't think Martha complained that you offended her sensitivites, I believe she said your postings were irritating and laughable. Still waiting for you to prove her wrong.
Cordially,
Helen

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 08:26 AM
Tom

Here is my opinion about Sam. He is like most sucessful New Yorkers, ie. arrogant and opinionated to the point of being unlikeable. Please remember that this is just my OPINION, all be it strong, which I am entitled to hold.

Outside of my impression of Sam, His restaurant reviews are dead on accurate. I would like to disagree with one of His reccomendations. I have only eaten at Babbo once. The food was excellent, however I found the attitude of the staff to be equally as arrogant as Sam's. This may be a good quality in a restaurant reviewer, but I dont appreciate it in restaurant staff. Perhaps it was just a bad night, or I was not significant enough to warrant better service. But even in restaurants with lesser quality food, being treated respectfully makes up for the difference. I dont think I will return to Babbo because of it.

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 09:00 AM
Liz

I agree with some of the above reviews, but far from all of them. Babbo for one is different type Italian - many people don't care for it. You can get a res or wait at the bar for a table in the front (day of). I think Il Mulino blows it away. Jean Georges - did not have a good experience there. Le Bernadin - superb in all ways. As for Lupa - The guys from Babbo have an investment in it. Jason is the owner and Mario does not do the cooking. Jason used to work at Po. Everyone has different opinions. I would like to try Wild Blue (the old cellar in the sky) - supposed to be terrific with a view to match. Let's see.

Liz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -