Bighorn National Forest, WY

May 24th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Bighorn National Forest, WY

We've just now added this to our list. Can 14 and 14A loop (starting and ending in Sheridan) be done in one day, or should we cut it in half? We won't be doing much hiking (mom and dad are in their late 70's), just a lot of stopping to absorb the beauty.
If a stop is needed, any suggestions for Greybull or Lovell?
Thanks!
d
May 26th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Well, then...
Maybe either 14 or 14A going west from Ranchester, then going south and east on 16 back to Buffalo.
Which two of the three (14, 14A, 16) do you feel are more scenic?
May 26th, 2007, 05:49 PM

I have done a loop like you describe in one day. That depends, however, on your starting point.

Are you going all the way to Greybull and Lovell? If so, I am curious as to why.
May 26th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob Brown!
I just assumed that was the only route...
Your suggestions, please!
d
May 26th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Ten Sleep Canyon on 16 is my pick of a scenic route. The gradient is very steep. The first time I descended the canyon, we had to stop and let the pressure on our ears equalize! It's that steep.

As a curiosity, stop for a look at the Medicine Wheel National Historic Landmark. It is a place of meaning for many Native Americans.

We spent the night in Worland, but my knowledge of motels is not current.

May 26th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again -
We'll be coming south on I90 from Billings, and on our way to SD. What about taking 14 to Shell, then heading south through Hyattville to Ten Sleep then east to Buffalo? Do you or anyone out there know anything about highways/roads through that area? Is this crazy?
d
May 26th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

...just noticed, Medicine Wheel is on 14A. Dad will want to see that. Never mind about my 'ramblings' -
Maybe we'll take 14A west, then down to 16.
May 26th, 2007, 07:37 PM

It can be done the way you described. But if coming from Billings why not drop south and take US-310 to Lovell. Then you can then visit the Medicine Wheel on 14A, which by the way is not a curiosity to many people. It is, however, a mile+ hike from the parking area. You can no longer drive there as you once could. The Bighorn Canyon is also on your route, there is a new visitors center on the east side of Lovell. After that drive you could overnight in Sheridan. we have always found this area much more scenic than route

http://www.crystalinks.com/bighorn.html

http://www.nps.gov/bica/
May 26th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks RedRock! We will be hitting Little Bighorn Battlefield, so will be on I90...
Thanks for the info -
d
May 26th, 2007, 08:47 PM

Spend a few extra minutes and drive the service road a little to the north of the Battlefield off US-212 and drive thru the town of Crow Agency. Interesting.